Reload this Page >

Looking to rent in East Bay, CA

Looking to rent in East Bay, CA

Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Lisa35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to rent in East Bay, CA

Hi Michelle,

Since my last posting, I am thrilled to say that I found a place in Concord where the owners were willing to give me a chance. Four months' rent up front plus deposit. I flew back to Atlanta, packed up my house there, got in my car, drove here, picked up the keys and am expecting my furniture to arrive tomorrow!! Please let me know if I can offer any advice or help. I still have A LOT to learn but I'll try!!

Best wishes,
Lisa
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

MMortara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lisa35
Hi Michelle,

Since my last posting, I am thrilled to say that I found a place in Concord where the owners were willing to give me a chance. Four months' rent up front plus deposit. I flew back to Atlanta, packed up my house there, got in my car, drove here, picked up the keys and am expecting my furniture to arrive tomorrow!! Please let me know if I can offer any advice or help. I still have A LOT to learn but I'll try!!

Best wishes,
Lisa
That's great news! Really pleased you got sorted. If you ever want a cup of tea and a chat with a brit, then please shout! I worked for Wella in the UK and gave up my job to come here for Steve's job. He works in San Fran for a mobile phone games company. I have a 6 year old little girl who has started school. I am just finding my feet and then will probably start looking for a job. Are you planning to work or do you already have a job? I'm 42 but consider myself to be a fairly young 42. Im not a real "mumsy" type. Anyway, hope you settle in well! Nothing better than having all your things arrive. Our container arrives approx November 20th! omwe are hoping to find a place by then. Best wishes, Michelle.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Lisa35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Michelle-it's such a huge relief! Just very odd to be here with no furniture! It would be lovely to meet you and have a cuppa! I'm 35. Or 36..no 35!! I grew up in England but have a very American accent (looong story!) so miss hearing the accent! I had a business in UK, sold it to move here. I'll be looking for work very soon. My mobile number is <snip>. It would be so nice to meet you. Best wishes, Lisa

Last edited by Bob; Nov 3rd 2011 at 7:13 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

HI ,

I don't think it's wise to post your mobile number on a public forum. Good news on getting your move sorted!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Michelle-it's such a huge relief! Just very odd to be here with no furniture! It would be lovely to meet you and have a cuppa! I'm 35. Or 36..no 35!! I grew up in England but have a very American accent (looong story!) so miss hearing the accent! I had a business in UK, sold it to move here. I'll be looking for work very soon. My mobile number is <snip>. It would be so nice to meet you. Best wishes, Lisa
Hi Lisa. I have got your number so you can delete if you want to. Talk soon.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 3rd 2011 at 7:13 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michelle,

Since my last posting, I am thrilled to say that I found a place in Concord where the owners were willing to give me a chance. ...

Best wishes,
Lisa
Originally Posted by MMortara
Hi Lisa
I have just moved to the Walnut Creek area this week as my husband's company relocated us. We are in a temporary apartment at Archstone which is pretty good. ...
Few quick tips for you guys - there is a 'Lunardi's grocery store on Geary at Pleasant Hill Rd, sells great meat, fish, breads, cheeses, etc. Just up the road from Archstone! There's also a great Whole Foods in Walnut Creek (and a new one in Lafayette). I have to laugh at all the brits on this forum complaining about how they can't find good groceries ... you should be spoiled in that area. Also, downtown Walnut Creek (the old part - Main St/Locust) has some fantastic restaurants - you can park the car, and walk around, and choose from about 40 great restaurants. I hope you like it as much as I did all those years!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Just spent a very enjoyable few days in Walnut Creek and Lafayette. I have to say WC downtown is excellent.

On the Friday night went to Petars bar in Lafayette and saw an old guy called Diamond Dave who does this one man show of cover songs. He is actually quite good. Did feel like I was at someones "cheesy" wedding but a good time was had by all.....
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Few quick tips for you guys - there is a 'Lunardi's grocery store on Geary at Pleasant Hill Rd, sells great meat, fish, breads, cheeses, etc. Just up the road from Archstone! There's also a great Whole Foods in Walnut Creek (and a new one in Lafayette). I have to laugh at all the brits on this forum complaining about how they can't find good groceries ... you should be spoiled in that area. Also, downtown Walnut Creek (the old part - Main St/Locust) has some fantastic restaurants - you can park the car, and walk around, and choose from about 40 great restaurants. I hope you like it as much as I did all those years!
Thank you or the great tips. I agree the food choice is great and so many fab restaurants.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by digbydog
Just spent a very enjoyable few days in Walnut Creek and Lafayette. I have to say WC downtown is excellent.

On the Friday night went to Petars bar in Lafayette and saw an old guy called Diamond Dave who does this one man show of cover songs. He is actually quite good. Did feel like I was at someones "cheesy" wedding but a good time was had by all.....
Are you thinking of renting in Walnut Creek?
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lisa! How did you move go? Does it feel like home? We are signing a lease agreement tomorrow for a house in Walnut Creek. Hope to meet up when we are settled! Take care. Michelle.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 3rd 2011 at 7:14 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digbydog
That guy has been doing his show for decades believe it or not... Petars used to be the hangout of choice for divorced people in the 50's looking to get laid, but since they got rid of the restaurant and turned it into a bar/dance floor it apparently now attracts a more varied crowd.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Michelle - let us know if you would like to hook up sometime. We have been in the states for 16 years now, the last 10 in Dublin (just down the 680 from Walnut Creek).

We are both in our mid forties and have a 6 year old daughter, who will be 7 next month.

One of our favourite places is La Boulange in Danville (there are several others in San Fran and dotted around the bay area). Lovely pastries and authentic croissants, and yummy cafe au lait. There is also a nice British pub called The Crown in downtown Danville. Their fish and chips aren't half bad.

Have you discovered Fresh & Easy yet? This is Tesco's version of an American mini-supermarket. They sell a few British items, including English style bacon.

Cheers for now, Kevin.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That guy has been doing his show for decades believe it or not... Petars used to be the hangout of choice for divorced people in the 50's looking to get laid, but since they got rid of the restaurant and turned it into a bar/dance floor it apparently now attracts a more varied crowd.
So THAT'S what happened to Petars! I went once about 10 years ago and it was an experience of a lifetime - not exactly pleasurable, but somewhat reassuring to see that the over-70s crowd could still have fun!

I go to 'Chow' across the road from there every time I'm 'home' in Walnut Creek (about once a month) and the 'new Petars' is always hopping - I just assumed it was still the old crowd! Chow is one hell of a good place to get a meal - Lively, informal, high quality, reasonably priced - and busy at 9pm, which is my main criteria.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

sanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura about

Hi
I've been in Dublin for 5 years now (end of the BART line). We initially lived in
an apartment complex similar to Archstone previously mentioned...infact there was one next door to our complex. The below were a good fit for us.
http://www.prometheusreg.com/
You might also want to try craigslist.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/a...edrooms=&nh=53
The rental market is tough at the moment, good stuff is snapped up with all the people getting turfed out of or walking away from their houses. Be prepared for very hefty deposits. I've heard of some places wanting credit reports with scores above 750.
Dublin is a great place if you have kids, bit quiet if you are young and want a decent night life. We (myself, wife and two girls) love it. Excellent schools, safe and clean. Very good transport links BART, and freeway. If you have any queries feel free to contact me on <snip>
Cheers and good luck.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 4th 2011 at 7:36 pm. Reason: pm instead if you need the email
Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So THAT'S what happened to Petars! I went once about 10 years ago and it was an experience of a lifetime - not exactly pleasurable, but somewhat reassuring to see that the over-70s crowd could still have fun!

I go to 'Chow' across the road from there every time I'm 'home' in Walnut Creek (about once a month) and the 'new Petars' is always hopping - I just assumed it was still the old crowd! Chow is one hell of a good place to get a meal - Lively, informal, high quality, reasonably priced - and busy at 9pm, which is my main criteria.
I live in the city now, so my visits out to the boonies are now infrequent But, yeh, Petars seems to attract St Mary's students as well as its "old crowd" (in more ways than one). I love Chow too. I went hiking with a friend a couple of months ago and ended up there early Sat evening. Nice sitting outside relaxing and enjoying the female scenery!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.