Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Old Jul 19th 2014, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Hmm. Quite a story, thanks. (I enjoy hearing/reading that kind of personal story anyway).

But since that is the story of a particular person, wouldn't you say it was about her as a person?

When I asked for examples, I was expecting shorter but multiple and similar stories. Like "the folks here used to do this" and "the folks there used to do that", to kind of categorically support your statement.

p.s. For a dutch person to be of the right class, does he have to be related to royalty? Is there a non-royalty Dutch upper middle class?
Old Jul 19th 2014, 4:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
Marry an American girl.

Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Hmm. Quite a story, thanks. (I enjoy hearing/reading that kind of personal story anyway).

But since that is the story of a particular person, wouldn't you say it was about her as a person?

When I asked for examples, I was expecting shorter but multiple and similar stories. Like "the folks here used to do this" and "the folks there used to do that", to kind of categorically support your statement.

p.s. For a dutch person to be of the right class, does he have to be related to royalty? Is there a non-royalty Dutch upper middle class?
The story was definitely about Annie as a person.

The Dutch guy had a persona that made him appear to be upper class whereas Sab was the typical stereotype loudmouthed Aussie.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
I think he just wants friends that don't make faces at him every time he opens his mouth. Caino and the U.K. are a bad marriage- When everything he thinks or says gets met with disapproval there, why wouldn't he want to leave

If you have "friends" that do that, you need new friends. As for your comment about your status being continuously assessed, I really wonder where you come from in the UK ? In the North West, not far from Caino, in 51 years, I've not experienced it. I have friends who are surgeons or lawyers, or multi-millionaires and a school friend from Primary school who is a dustman, like his dad and grandad.

Not ONE of my friends hasn't said moving to the USA is an amazing thing to do.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem like the OP is coming at this from a limited position of having a 'fun' extended vacation and that translating to 'All Americans are great, boo to the UK' - yes, people are more likely to be friendly to you if they know you are leaving next week and we are very much a limited novelty to some Americans ...

Like others have said, you haven't spent nearly enough time in the US to deal with the day-day stuff that would annoy you, that exists everywhere in every country (like finding a job, keeping a job, getting health insurance, bueracracy dealing with crime, road rage etc etc) - if you have a job with benefits here, then you are likely going to be ok financially at least - the minute you lose your job or are deemed poor and unable to go and do the things your new 'mates' want to do, you will be deemed a drain on the resources of the States, and your 30-strong army of 'friends' will likely mostly disappear. This isn't being negative, it is being realistic.

As others have said, find a legal way to come over for an extended period of time, so you can get a realistic view of whether you do really like the US, or whether it is a summer 'fling'

Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

abrit777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cain,

I understand. I spend lots of time on the internet researching about Europe or US states and cities most comparable to Europe. Though I was born in England, and have lived in Florida for 30 years, I still am looking for that place that I "fit in", where I can find others I can relate to. Every place has its good and bad...and I try to be content, but I understand feeling depressed because you know there are places that you "fit" but for the time being you have to stay in a place that you don't "fit"....but like a previous post said...where there is a will, there is a way! I visited England a couple of years ago for the first time after I moved to the US as a child and it was so different, it almost didn't feel like England anymore, though I have family and friends there still. I considered moving to Raleigh last year, I have visited Asheville but never been to Raleigh. I am a musician and heard the area has more to offer a musician than the mainstream Nashville, country and blues stuff that I am not interested in. My interests lie in Scandanavian Symphonic metal music and here in the US...it is obsolete! Anyway, good luck and you never know what can magically happen from one day to the next. Hopefully, you are still in touch with your buddies in Raleigh. Also, look into going back to the US for 3 months at a time on your Visa....and have a game plan this time before you go. Cheers! : )
Old Jul 20th 2014, 12:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abrit777
Cain,

I understand. I spend lots of time on the internet researching about Europe or US states and cities most comparable to Europe. Though I was born in England, and have lived in Florida for 30 years, I still am looking for that place that I "fit in", where I can find others I can relate to. Every place has its good and bad...and I try to be content, but I understand feeling depressed because you know there are places that you "fit" but for the time being you have to stay in a place that you don't "fit"....but like a previous post said...where there is a will, there is a way! I visited England a couple of years ago for the first time after I moved to the US as a child and it was so different, it almost didn't feel like England anymore, though I have family and friends there still. I considered moving to Raleigh last year, I have visited Asheville but never been to Raleigh. I am a musician and heard the area has more to offer a musician than the mainstream Nashville, country and blues stuff that I am not interested in. My interests lie in Scandanavian Symphonic metal music and here in the US...it is obsolete! Anyway, good luck and you never know what can magically happen from one day to the next. Hopefully, you are still in touch with your buddies in Raleigh. Also, look into going back to the US for 3 months at a time on your Visa....and have a game plan this time before you go. Cheers! : )
He doesn`t have a visa (maybe you mean on his Visa card?). Also, there are plenty of previous posts advising caution about repeated visits on the visa waiver program.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

abrit777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't aware of the Visa Waiver law....thanks for the update.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:02 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Cain,
I hear you. I felt the same about England and did everything I could in my power to move away from it to N America. We now live in Canada and have been for three years and I have found that:
- I am finally in the place I feel comfortable in
- Its not without its issues, its real life and real life has issues, BUT I am happier with these issues than British issues.
- Its hard to put my finger on it, but it was living in the UK that I couldn't stand. I intensely disliked the culture, the Victorian row houses, British film and TV, the roads, the cars, everything.

I went back in February to visit and I liked it there, nice place to visit, wandering around Waitrose was nice, but I couldn't live there again. No way!

Make your plan and start working through it.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Cain,

- Its hard to put my finger on it, but it was living in the UK that I couldn't stand. I intensely disliked the culture, the Victorian row houses, British film and TV, the roads, the cars, everything.

I went back in February to visit and I liked it there, nice place to visit, wandering around Waitrose was nice, but I couldn't live there again. No way!
Funny that. I used to detest the Victorian row houses as well when I was living in the UK. Now I find it quaint and pretty when I go back. And I always liked Waitrose, but now, when I go back, I ADORE it. Nothing like it here.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Funny that. I used to detest the Victorian row houses as well when I was living in the UK. Now I find it quaint and pretty when I go back. And I always liked Waitrose, but now, when I go back, I ADORE it. Nothing like it here.
We were so happy in our little Edwardian row house in Barnet. Walk to Waitrose as well
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We were so happy in our little Edwardian row house in Barnet. Walk to Waitrose as well
Did you have a gant, a passage or an alley between your house and next door??

Just wondering..
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Did you have a gant, a passage or an alley between your house and next door??

Just wondering..
They were between about every six houses. That was the way to get stuff to the back garden.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They were between about every six houses. That was the way to get stuff to the back garden.
And what did you call it?

We were talking about this with our Brit/Irish friends the other day. He called it a passage way, M called it an alley, she (irish) called it a Gant and I dont remember what it was called, mainly because we didn't have one
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
And what did you call it?

We were talking about this with our Brit/Irish friends the other day. He called it a passage way, M called it an alley, she (irish) called it a Gant and I dont remember what it was called, mainly because we didn't have one
I'm trying to think. Side passage I think.

Alley to me is more thing along the back of houses without a back garden, like our student one in Leeds.

Went onto facebook for the first time in yonks to retrieve this photo from the day we moved in, facebook is all different and scary
Attached Thumbnails Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.-barnet.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.