Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Racso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

So, I have been visiting this forum for a while now and decided this was a good thread to make my entrance....

I actually had quite a similar experience to Caino...I went to USA for two months (Winston-Salem, NC) and loved alot of the things there that was just so different to the UK. The positivity, the friendliness, the music scene, the woman (similar to Caino, for some reason I got on alot better with USA woman than English, I don't know why, I think it was the general more upbeat attitude towards life which I love ?!?!) the cheaper houses, the space, the mountains .... I came back to the UK and though wasn't depressed, i was defiantly missing the USA and was looking at finding potential ways of moving there...

However after two months back in the UK, a USA "friend" came over to visit for two weeks and absouloutley loved England (or should I say Cornwall), the beaches, the countryside, the architecture, the lack of drive for success/money, the better work to life ratio....and to cut a long story short she also fell in love with me (and me her) and so we started dating....

So I then went back to the States a year later (to visit my girlfriend) and though I still greatly enjoyed USA, I noticed things in the day to day life that you dont in "vacations" that made me have a more real picture of the US. Things my girlfriend pointed out would quite often make me think, "oh yes, I do really miss that aspect about England...Or England are pretty good in that area" etc....

I still do really love the US (I have since returned another time) and now, will never get involved in the debate over which is better, the US or UK, I like to just say say they are very "different", neither worse or better, just different ! However I do think living in a place gives you a whole different perspective than a vacation, which can paint a false picture...

Also I would also recommend trying a moving if you are that depressed. I live in Cornwall, and (now) love it here ....

Last edited by Racso; Jul 23rd 2014 at 9:07 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Great first post! Welcome.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What's happening with the "friend"?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

In my script....she's with him
Hence he now LOVES Cornwall as well.......
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What's happening with the "friend"?
She is now my fiancée and we are planning the marriage for next year where she will hopefully (granting visa's) join me in Cornwall ....

Two years ago, when I had just come back from the USA, had I known I would be marrying someone from there I would defiantly have jumped at the chance of moving over there, however now I feel quite content within Cornwall (she also loves Cornwall) and so she is joining me over here. It is amazing how things change givein a two year gap....

Also, Camino, I would suggest losing your negative friends... When I first came back from the US, having noticed that positive people are so much nicer/funner to be around, I simply stopped seeing the majority of people who were constantly negative (however word of caution; there is a difference between being real and occasionally down beat on life and that of constant negativity) and found things so much better because of it. I lost some friends but now I have alot stronger community of people who are generally more positive...It is amazing how much positivity, and being around positive people makes a differene to how you view life..... Tis all about those positive vibes

Last edited by Racso; Jul 23rd 2014 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Racso
She is now my Fiancée and we are planning the marriage for next year where she will hopefully join me in Cornwall ....
Ah, then she's in the US thinking, "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again . . . " Good luck to you both!
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Ah, then she's in the US thinking, "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again . . . " Good luck to you both!
Yes ...Thanks

I have just been given a job that provides the financial requirements, so now to work for six months and hopefully that will satisfy the visa people
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent...I love a happy ending

(Did Rebecca have a happy ending?...getting senile...)
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Excellent...I love a happy ending

(Did Rebecca have a happy ending?...getting senile...)
It depends what your definition of happy is ? . From what I remember it is a weird depressing kind of happy....

I am more a cabin in the woods/beach guy than estate owner anyway, (neither have I been married before, let alone murdering my previous wife )
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what your definition of happy is ? . From what I remember it is a weird depressing kind of happy....

I am more a cabin in the woods/beach guy than estate owner anyway, (neither have I been married before, let alone murdering my previous wife )
LOL -- the house was gone -- and with it Mrs. Danvers! -- but I think that Maxim and his second wife (whose first name we never learn) could afford to live happily ever after somewhere else, preferably not on the coast!
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

LOL -- the house was gone -- and with it Mrs. Danvers! -- but I think that Maxim and his second wife (whose first name we never learn) could afford to live happily ever after somewhere else, preferably not on the coast!
"Rebecca" is one of my favorite books. I first read it when I was around 16 and I usually re-read it every 10 years or so - I guess I am a little strange!! I love all of Daphne du Maurier's books and absolutely love Cornwall - have very happy memories of vacations there when I lived in England. Now I just have to do with seeing it when I watch Doc Martin!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Aw that might have been interesting to have in the BE gang

Originally Posted by Derrygal
"Rebecca" is one of my favorite books. I first read it when I was around 16 and I usually re-read it every 10 years or so - I guess I am a little strange!! I love all of Daphne du Maurier's books and absolutely love Cornwall - have very happy memories of vacations there when I lived in England. Now I just have to do with seeing it when I watch Doc Martin!
I seem to remember reading 'Don't Look Now' but that's a short story. I don't know why I haven't read more of her work, I might do that now.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Now I just have to do with seeing it when I watch Doc Martin!
Loved loved loved Doc Martin !
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

I seem to remember reading 'Don't Look Now' but that's a short story. I don't know why I haven't read more of her work, I might do that now.
"Jamaica Inn" is another good one -- I visited the actual inn she used for the story while on a holiday in Cornwall with a bunch of school friends in my late teens.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:35 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Her short stories were great! Don't Look Now (Venice was never so sinister!) and she wrote The Birds too, along with some other hair-raising short stories. She was a master (mistress??) writer of the eerie....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.