Reload this Page >

Legal Permanent Residency Interview and applying for an I-131

Legal Permanent Residency Interview and applying for an I-131

Old Apr 1st 2006, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

MissPatriotic is on a distinguished road
Default Legal Permanent Residency Interview and applying for an I-131

Hey, just some quick questions!

So here is my dilemma- I arrived in September on a K1-Visa and am now married and I have my Legal Permanent Residency interview mid May time. woo hoo first of all! I would like to go back to England mid-July for a wedding. Based on any of your own experiences, how long after your interview did it take to be accepted as a legal permanent resident so that you had the freedom to travel again???

If it takes months again I was going to apply for an I-131, are you able to use that form to go home simply for a wedding or does it have to be an emergency?
if i am able to use that form, i would have to apply now as they say allow 3 months, so what to do, what to do?
also i dont really want to pay $170 to the USCIS if i dont have to as i have given them plenty already!

i know you cant say how many days but just give me an idea from your own experiences, what do they actually do after the interview!

thanks!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 3:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Permanent Residency Interview and applying for an I-131

Originally Posted by MissPatriotic
So here is my dilemma- I arrived in September on a K1-Visa and am now married and I have my Legal Permanent Residency interview mid May time. woo hoo first of all! I would like to go back to England mid-July for a wedding. Based on any of your own experiences, how long after your interview did it take to be accepted as a legal permanent resident so that you had the freedom to travel again???
Yo may get the I-551 stamp in your passport at the interview ....and the green card a week later... or you may still be waiting for a security clearance 2 years later ....
Are you feeling lucky!!!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 3:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Yo may get the I-551 stamp in your passport at the interview ....and the green card a week later... or you may still be waiting for a security clearance 2 years later ....
Are you feeling lucky!!!

One of my sons had his 'successful' interview in December. Still no GC though. Security clearance can be a big black hole...
Old Apr 1st 2006, 3:41 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissPatriotic

If it takes months again I was going to apply for an I-131, are you able to use that form to go home simply for a wedding or does it have to be an emergency?
if i am able to use that form, i would have to apply now as they say allow 3 months, so what to do, what to do?
also i dont really want to pay $170 to the USCIS if i dont have to as i have given them plenty already!

i know you cant say how many days but just give me an idea from your own experiences, what do they actually do after the interview!

thanks!
If you want to remain legal in the US, you'll find yourself paying even more to USCIS in future years...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 1st 2006, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

At your interview (if succesfull) the officer will stamp your passport and write a ref number in ..... that will also be your green card number when you get it. He will tell you you are free to travel, but ask for a cover letter to go with the stamp. INS will let you out without the GC or cover letter but the airline want to see your GC or cover letter on return before they let you board the return flight ............. I speak from experience !
Old Apr 1st 2006, 4:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
At your interview (if succesfull) the officer will stamp your passport and write a ref number in ..... that will also be your green card number when you get it. He will tell you you are free to travel, but ask for a cover letter to go with the stamp. INS will let you out without the GC or cover letter but the airline want to see your GC or cover letter on return before they let you board the return flight ............. I speak from experience !
JeeZ!!!! you talk utter nonsense....
Old Apr 1st 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
JeeZ!!!! you talk utter nonsense....
I have been through the entire proceedure within the last 5 years, when were you put through it ?

You seem to have a negative response to everything anyone says so why look at the site ?

The only person on this site I have ever noticed to talk utter nonsense continuously seems to be you
Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:25 pm
Ray

I have been through the entire proceedure within the last 5 years, when were you put through it ?
You seem to have a negative response to everything anyone says so why look at the site ?
The only person on this site I have ever noticed to talk utter nonsense continuously seems to be you
Seems you learnt sod all then ...... Do I really have to go thru the details of your posting to show what crap you wrote ...
How long have been around here ...arrived as a tosser and still a tosser ....
Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experiance, last year.

I received my GC 6 days after the interview, there was a Bank Holiday in between and it may have been their sooner, we have a PO Box and I do not go every day. I think I was told to expect it within 2 weeks. But as Ray said, nothing is guaranteed. The longest I have seen someone say they have been waiting is 3 years.
My Office, Denver, does not stamp passports. I asked for a stamp and was told that they no longer stamp due to forgery issues with our friends south of the Border. His actual words. Most offices seem to be stamping, but probably eventually none will.

A stamp in the passport is as good as the Card, you need nothing else.

INS is no more.

The only letter that would be applicable would be if you apply for AP. I was in a similar situation in deciding whether or not to renew my AP, I applied did not need it. Do you feel lucky?

And allow 3 months for AP.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Are you feeling lucky!!!
yeah, all depends on if they get the okay on the day or not...I waited around for a few months after my interview before I got the card because of security clearance...that was fun...
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:10 pm
Ray

At your interview (if succesfull) the officer will stamp your passport and write a ref number in ..... that will also be your green card number when you get it. !
Better explain it to the twerp ...

The stamp is the I-551 which is the equivalent to the green card
the number will be your A number
He will tell you you are free to travel, but ask for a cover letter to go with the stamp.
They will not issue a cover letter or is it needed .. see above ..
INS will let you out without the GC or cover letter but the airline want to see your GC or cover letter on return before they let you board the return flight ............. I speak from experience !
There is no INS.. The airline do not need to see anything but your passport
you could well be just a tourist getting a visa waiver form on the flight ...
in your case you had the stamp... if you had a problem ..it was for some other reason..
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
Seems you learnt sod all then ...... Do I really have to go thru the details of your posting to show what crap you wrote ...
How long have been around here ...arrived as a tosser and still a tosser ....
I have had the decency to refrain from telling you that you are a prize wanker up till now .... but you are
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:19 pm
Ray

I have had the decency to refrain from telling you that you are a prize wanker up till now .... but you are
Just when I think I've read the stupidest post ever, you go and post another. Clearly, you spend way too much time in darkened rooms in front of your seven-year-old computer turning a whiter shade of pale. Go outside once in a while and breathe, before your brain starts to rot from all that festering stagnation and cognitive dysfunction... or the diesel fumes are winning.....
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Shshshshsh!!!

Have you seen his gun collection???!!!!!! :scared:
Old Apr 1st 2006, 8:21 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
J...your brain starts to rot from all that festering stagnation and cognitive dysfunction...

Festering stagnation AND cognitive dysfunction???

Gosh you are eloquent today!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.