Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

learning to drive

Wikiposts

learning to drive

Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a legal move in maine and mass though...
Maybe it is legal all over - I guess I'll admit I have no clue. I do know in general the idea is to pass on the left, and slower drivers are supposed to keep right... but perhaps not actually illegal otherwise.

Hmmm....

I have to laugh - I've driven for many a year, and (knock wood) haven't even gotten a ticket. But I can't really always say just what's technically legal or not LOL
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:40 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine failed his driving test in England when the tester got into the passenger seat with his clipboard and said "what's the first thing you do when you get into the car?". My friend replied "turn on the radio".
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
A friend of mine failed his driving test in England when the tester got into the passenger seat with his clipboard and said "what's the first thing you do when you get into the car?". My friend replied "turn on the radio".
PMSL.

Well I do know better than that! Ummm... trying to think of what I WOULD answer though.

Step on the brake and start the thing probably.

Perhaps it's supposed to be seat belt - but I would do that before moving (except at home, bc I have to get out and open my gate).

Cripes, maybe they'd have failed me too...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:47 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
PMSL.

Well I do know better than that! Ummm... trying to think of what I WOULD answer though.

Step on the brake and start the thing probably.

Perhaps it's supposed to be seat belt - but I would do that before moving (except at home, bc I have to get out and open my gate).

Cripes, maybe they'd have failed me too...
I know...its difficult. It was very sad actually as I remember him walking into the pub looking very dejected so I asked him what had happened. When he told me this, unfortunately I snorted Guinness from both nostrils.....didn't make his day.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know...its difficult. It was very sad actually as I remember him walking into the pub looking very dejected so I asked him what had happened. When he told me this, unfortunately I snorted Guinness from both nostrils.....didn't make his day.
Well that's one way to clean out your nose.

I would have laughed at him too..... lots!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:15 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I passed at the third try. The first examiner was about 10 years past his retirement-date - the poor thing chain smoked and jumped at the slightest thing. Admittedly, the tests were EXTREMELY tough - they'd take us down this one part of town with all one-way streets with no signage on them..barstewards. Second time I can't recall why I failed. I did parallel park (and still do ), like a pro. Third time the examiner fancied me - I got an extra point off - for crap like failing to signal, etc...but he passed me anyway I wore a mini skirt that day.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

By no means waste time with a manual ('stick shift' or just 'stick' as they call them here) as if it's the same as in Michigan there's no separate restricted licence for an automatic. You just prove you can drive, regardless of how gears are shifted.

I had passed in England and had already driven on the wrong side while living in Europe, including driving a VW bus and a removal van, so taking the test here was cake. I picked up the little book (Michigan equivalent of the highway code) and read through it for anything odd, but passed fairly easily. We even had an unplanned emergency stop in the test when a kid on a bike blew straight through a yield/stop and into my path, with me doing close to the limit at around 40mph. That probably helped!