Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

learning to drive

learning to drive

Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:29 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default learning to drive

I am obviously going to have to learn to drive when we move over to the US - however I have no idea how much this is going to cost, the procedure ect

Do they have a theory test like we do, is there a set number of lessons/hours you have to do - is it going to cost me a fortune???

I am 25, had maybe 5 lessons about 5 years ago here in the UK. Basically I have NO driving experience and am worried about being stranded in Atlanta!!!

HELP
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I am obviously going to have to learn to drive when we move over to the US - however I have no idea how much this is going to cost, the procedure ect

Do they have a theory test like we do, is there a set number of lessons/hours you have to do - is it going to cost me a fortune???

I am 25, had maybe 5 lessons about 5 years ago here in the UK. Basically I have NO driving experience and am worried about being stranded in Atlanta!!!

HELP
Dont worry ..the standards are very low....
I have seen untrained donkeys pass ...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:13 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

you just need to find your local DMV office (or on internet) and it will list what is required from you, including the documents you'll need to bring..

try dmv.org and then click on your state...

And as Ray said, the standard is not very high so you should pass with flying colours.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

HELP
I did the theory test a few days after I got here, without ever having looked at 'the book'. The one question I failed on was due to the fact that I did not know what CHP stands for.

Yep - it's THAT simple...

The 'driving test' consisted of driving around the block. As long as you remember to use your mirror, signal and stop at STOP signs, you'll be fine.

My test lasted less than 10 minutes.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

HELP
Don't worry .... it's so simple here it's almost laughable

Drive around the corner, turn around, reverse park in some ridiculously huge space and drive back .... you passed
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:43 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that the hand signals here are different from the UK...(just take a quick glance at the handbook and found out what your state requires)...

I know someone who failed their driving test within 5 seconds of getting in the car because of this....
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:47 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I feel a bit reassured!!

Does anyone have any rough lesson prices so I can budget??
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Melly,
this is a link to the Georgia Department of Motor Vehicles site
http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/first-time-drivers.php
Officially as far as cost of driving lessons currently you will need to have 6 hours practical training as well as 30 hours theoretical (can be done on line) prior to taking your test if you dont currently have a licence, total cost approx $600.
If you come with a provisional UK licence they will only make you sit a knowledge test and the practical is only a quick spin round the block. Get your hubby to find a empty parking lot one weekend and let you get the feel of driving a left hand drive automatic car (its much easier than having to worry about stalling a manual, no hill starts required, or 3 point turns)
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:58 pm
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by Vimto
Melly,
this is a link to the Georgia Department of Motor Vehicles site
http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/first-time-drivers.php
Officially as far as cost of driving lessons currently you will need to have 6 hours practical training as well as 30 hours theoretical (can be done on line) prior to taking your test if you dont currently have a licence, total cost approx $600.
If you come with a provisional UK licence they will only make you sit a knowledge test and the practical is only a quick spin round the block. Get your hubby to find a empty parking lot one weekend and let you get the feel of driving a left hand drive automatic car (its much easier than having to worry about stalling a manual, no hill starts required, or 3 point turns)
Sounds good to me
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:53 pm
C.C
Geordie Lass

C.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really nice

Sounds good to me
Hi there, I was like you with not a lot of driving experience, and I let myself become reliant on others to get me any were as there is no public transport here in my town. It took me almost 3 years to pluck up the courage to start driving (long Story there). Anyway the theory test here in Oklahoma was 20 questions long and so simple, I was told jsut read the highway code and you will pass it. They were right, as for driving lessons I didnt get any formal lessons here as all the driving schools here seem to only cater to the high school students, at least thats the way in is in STillwater, it may be different in different areas. The test itself.......... well I was in a state the day of the test, cos as you know what a big deal it is in the UK, I neednt have worried!! I drove the worst Ihad driven since my hubby had started to teach me, even cocked up the parralel parking, (I belive that not all test centres ask you to do this) I actually said to the woman who was testing me "ok Ill just drive back now then" cos I really thought I had blown it. But she said "no carry on". When we got back and she said I had passed I nearly kissed her. Sorry to be so long winded but if I can you do it so can you.......... Honest.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:36 pm
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by C.C
Hi there, I was like you with not a lot of driving experience, and I let myself become reliant on others to get me any were as there is no public transport here in my town. It took me almost 3 years to pluck up the courage to start driving (long Story there). Anyway the theory test here in Oklahoma was 20 questions long and so simple, I was told jsut read the highway code and you will pass it. They were right, as for driving lessons I didnt get any formal lessons here as all the driving schools here seem to only cater to the high school students, at least thats the way in is in STillwater, it may be different in different areas. The test itself.......... well I was in a state the day of the test, cos as you know what a big deal it is in the UK, I neednt have worried!! I drove the worst Ihad driven since my hubby had started to teach me, even cocked up the parralel parking, (I belive that not all test centres ask you to do this) I actually said to the woman who was testing me "ok Ill just drive back now then" cos I really thought I had blown it. But she said "no carry on". When we got back and she said I had passed I nearly kissed her. Sorry to be so long winded but if I can you do it so can you.......... Honest.

THANK YOU
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

HELP
I was in a similar situation on arrival in the US in 2002. I only had a provisional British license so I took driving lessons here in NC. They were something like $40.00 per hour and vehicle was a huge boatlike 1980s Mercedes. I took a dozen lessons and had additional time behind the wheel (in our one car) with my spouse in the passenger seat.

Seeing as you had fewer driving lessons than me, I think taking lessons will be helpful. Most importantly, study the GA Drivers Handbook (or whatever its called).

The different parts of the driving test (there are three parts in NC) aren't difficult and don't be too nervous about the practical test. If you want a laugh, read my account of my practical driving test from 2003 (in the USA forum).
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I had 6 lessons in 10 years before moving here, and after every one I swore never again. I failed my theory all 3 times I took it in Holland.
So I was pretty nervous about learning here. Let me tell you that driving an automatic is soooooooo much easier than driving a manual. If gears and clutches got to you before, no problem here as the car does it all!
I found myself a driving school that catered to adult drivers, there are a lot of immigrants here in Chicago, especially from Poland and India where less people drive, so there are lots of schools for people like us. I found this one for you in Atlanta and I'm sure there are more
http://www.nathansdrivingschool.net/page5.html, just google driving school atlanta and look for the adult driver sections.

I took my theory after studying the local highway code book for a couple of weeks. 20 questions and you had to get 16 to pass. I got 16! I'd recommend doing the theory test here or at least studying the books because there are bound to be things you aren't familiar with such as school buses and highway workers which you will definitely need to know.

Initially my husband showed me the basics of the car in a giant car lot. I was one of about 6 others all getting shown how to drive by their husbands!

I then had about 8 90-minute lessons at $80 a time, and then took my test, which was driving around the block, but my instructor had prepped me on all the things the examiner was going to be looking for as I drove around that block, I also had to do hill parking which is funny as there are no hills in Chicago! Without the instructor's guidance I wouldn't have passed so I really recommend it.

I'm still getting to grips with highway driving etc, and I won't drive in the dark or change lanes in busy traffic! But in all honesty I don't need to drive as much as I thought I would. Luckily my husband's buddy taught him how to drive as soon as we got here so we weren't without a car for long. I take the bus and the train to work and he drives us everywhere at weekends. But it definitely comes in handy.

Last edited by chicagojlo; Feb 10th 2008 at 1:43 am.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:25 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think you only fail if you turn up drunk or have a headon collision.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us yanks don't pay for lessons - we just torture our friends and family

Seriously, you are not required to take formal lessons. Of course, you can if you like. But it is very common here to just go driving with friends and family, if you have any that are willing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.