Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

learning to drive

learning to drive

Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive

Originally Posted by Tracym
Spinning with one hand - fail
What?!?!? What kind of country is this I am moving to?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
What?!?!? What kind of country is this I am moving to?
Well if it's any consolation - we all do it. Just not when the examiner is watching
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: learning to drive

Y'know, I feel very sorry for Americans who move to the UK. They're allowed to drive for 1 year on their US licence - but then they need a British driving licence.

I understand that to get the British driving licence, they have to take the road test. Can you imagine how difficult that must be after the way they've been taught to drive in the States?!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Y'know, I feel very sorry for Americans who move to the UK. They're allowed to drive for 1 year on their US licence - but then they need a British driving licence.

I understand that to get the British driving licence, they have to take the road test. Can you imagine how difficult that must be after the way they've been taught to drive in the States?!
Anyone having to drive differently in a different country could find it difficult I imagine.

lol I did try the "feeding the wheel" thing in a parking lot - folks probably could have gotten a lot of amusement watching the project. I wouldn't try it on a road (not saying you can't manage it, but I can't)

I was mostly kidding by saying we spin the wheel with one hand all the time (although serious about sometimes )
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

I just thought that I would share my little story about driving in the U.S. for all those who are having concerns about doing so.

I held a full U.K. drivers license in the U.K. for many years and moved to the States this past December, like many I was anxious about driving here and even more so after witnessing (from the passenger seat) the way people drive over here.

Anyway after being here just short of two months, I finally sat behind the wheel of a car this past Tuesday, never once having looked at the highway code or the U.S. equivilent, never having past the U.S. road test nor having any driving lessons here. The experience was not as bad as I had expected it to be, in fact I found it much easier than driving back in the U.K. If you can drive in a straight line for a couple of blocks, make a left and right turn then you've cracked it, it really is that simple and in the space of 3 days I am now driving on the highways and interstates etc.

What the others have said about signals etc being optional is true, be pretty aware of what other road users are doing, of course I am only speaking from living in Denver, but the road users here tend to just cut in front of you with little or no warning at all, so keep your distance if possibile.

The cars pretty much drive themselves here also, stick it in 'D'-rive and push the gas peddle - very straight forward.

I do have one question though, is there a designated over-take lane here like there is in the U.K.? Because while driving I just see people overtaking and under-taking in every lane - there doesn't seem to be a specific lane or side for over-taking i.e. in the U.K. you always over-take on the right-hand side.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:16 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leyther
I just thought that I would share my little story about driving in the U.S. for all those who are having concerns about doing so.

I held a full U.K. drivers license in the U.K. for many years and moved to the States this past December, like many I was anxious about driving here and even more so after witnessing (from the passenger seat) the way people drive over here.

Anyway after being here just short of two months, I finally sat behind the wheel of a car this past Tuesday, never once having looked at the highway code or the U.S. equivilent, never having past the U.S. road test nor having any driving lessons here. The experience was not as bad as I had expected it to be, in fact I found it much easier than driving back in the U.K. If you can drive in a straight line for a couple of blocks, make a left and right turn then you've cracked it, it really is that simple and in the space of 3 days I am now driving on the highways and interstates etc.

What the others have said about signals etc being optional is true, be pretty aware of what other road users are doing, of course I am only speaking from living in Denver, but the road users here tend to just cut in front of you with little or no warning at all, so keep your distance if possibile.

The cars pretty much drive themselves here also, stick it in 'D'-rive and push the gas peddle - very straight forward.

I do have one question though, is there a designated over-take lane here like there is in the U.K.? Because while driving I just see people overtaking and under-taking in every lane - there doesn't seem to be a specific lane or side for over-taking i.e. in the U.K. you always over-take on the right-hand side.

A lot might depend on whereabouts in the UK you were used to driving. After moving from Wales to London years ago I had a right old shock, but London driving prepared me for driving amongst some of the craziest b@stards on the busiest roads over here. If I'd have come straight from Wales to the US then things might have been different. Also helped a lot that when I added all of my previous holidays and business trips together I'd spent about 6 months worth of time driving in the States beforehand.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are supposed to use signals - and are supposed to overtake on the left.

However... if someone's going too slow on the left, the drivers will zoom around them whatever way they can.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

However... if someone's going too slow on the left, the drivers will zoom around them whatever way they can.
Thanks for that, I am never sure which is the correct side to over-take on as the drivers here just appear to over take on any side that they feel like doing so.

Yes I know you are supposed to use signals, I always do - I don't even think about it, I just use them - by optional I was just referring to the other road users here, as the majority don't appear to know what that little stick attached to the side of wheel is for.

Oh, I do have one more question and it is regarding insurance. I know it will vary by age, state and how long you have been driving for but does anyone know the average cost of insurance here? Can your no-claims bonus from the U.K. count for anything as I have about 6 or 7 years? Will I pay for insurance based on being a new driver?

Does anyone have any tips, advice or information regarding this issue?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:31 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I do have one more question and it is regarding insurance. I know it will vary by age, state and how long you have been driving for but does anyone know the average cost of insurance here? Can your no-claims bonus from the U.K. count for anything as I have about 6 or 7 years? Will I pay for insurance based on being a new driver?

When I checked into this I didn't find any insurance company that was interested in my UK driving experience, all they care about is how long you have had a US licence.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance also varies greatly by car, zipcode and credit score. My 2000 Taurus costs $800 per 6 months and we live in a nice area but only have 6 months driving history and a year's worth of credit history. Insuring a newer and yet smaller car was a lot more.
There are insurance companies that will accept your UK no claims, I believe AIG does something for international drivers. There was a thread on it recently. We just didn't have any so we didn't need to look into it!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, it ain't illegal to undertake over here for the most part...and no one looks in the mirrors either, which is a bit scary, but then I suppose motor bikes aren't allowed to zig zag through traffic either, which I think it stupid and defies the point of having two wheels
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Insurance also varies greatly by car, zipcode and credit score. My 2000 Taurus costs $800 per 6 months and we live in a nice area but only have 6 months driving history and a year's worth of credit history.
Your being hosed...mine's around $960 a year full comp for a saab 95, 2000...admittedly it was higher on the '96 we had before and had a year on my maine license before we moved, and I don't live that close to the NH border which saves a bundle...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me that's the cheapest quote we got by a long shot, State Farm wanted $2,000!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that, I am never sure which is the correct side to over-take on as the drivers here just appear to over take on any side that they feel like doing so.

Yes I know you are supposed to use signals, I always do - I don't even think about it, I just use them - by optional I was just referring to the other road users here, as the majority don't appear to know what that little stick attached to the side of wheel is for.

Oh I knew what you meant by optional I also generally use the turn signals, but excersize my vocabulary on many who don't.

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, it ain't illegal to undertake over here for the most part...and no one looks in the mirrors either, which is a bit scary, but then I suppose motor bikes aren't allowed to zig zag through traffic either, which I think it stupid and defies the point of having two wheels
"ain't illega" - aak, lol, I got lost in the double negative

As far as I know, you're really supposed to pass (overtake) on the left. Is it actually illegal on the right.... hmmmm.... If the right lane just happens to be moving faster, that's legal of course. But to shift over, zoom by, and cut back in... now I'm not sure actually.

But certainly common practice, that's for sure.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

As far as I know, you're really supposed to pass (overtake) on the left. Is it actually illegal on the right.... hmmmm.... If the right lane just happens to be moving faster, that's legal of course. But to shift over, zoom by, and cut back in... now I'm not sure actually.
It's a legal move in maine and mass though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.