Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:39 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Originally Posted by AvromShalom
Knowing what you know now.. bearing in mind that most have been here a few years , given the chance again would America have been your first choice to emigrate too?? or, after having lived here do you wish that you had gone elsewhere??
Yes, it would still be my first choice, don't fancy OZ, Canada or NZ at all. Things have worked out well for us all in all, apart from the normal run of the mill complaints. It hasn't all gone catastrophically wrong for us, so no reason to regret it. Just have to cope with the occasional differences of culture and homesickness.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:33 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

yes, I like it here a lot. obviously everyone gets homesick. most people posting on this thread have been here for years, so there must be something they like, or they would have moved back already.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:42 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing what you know now.. bearing in mind that most have been here a few years , given the chance again would America have been your first choice to emigrate too?? or, after having lived here do you wish that you had gone elsewhere??
Yes I would still emigrate here to the US. Whilst living in England was very apathetic and well.. pathetic to be honest.

But the things I have seen here- wow- can't wait to get back to Blighty. Don't think I'd have the perspective I have now without the last 6 years.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
most people posting on this thread have been here for years, so there must be something they like, or they would have moved back already.
you got it.... my husband's here and that's the only reason i'm here....and can't wait for the day to come when i head back home permanently
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:10 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

It was my 1st choice went back to the UK and came out again - worked out well for us
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:37 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
It was my 1st choice went back to the UK and came out again - worked out well for us
I'm only here because of my hubby. I like it most of the time and am very torn between the US and the UK. I would love to live in the south of France one day, that would be my dream, if not then the UK would be my first pick. Having said that, when I live in Britain I miss the US so what does that tell ya! (I don't know myself, very confusing if you ask me!)
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:51 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I'm only here because of my hubby. I like it most of the time and am very torn between the US and the UK. I would love to live in the south of France one day, that would be my dream, if not then the UK would be my first pick. Having said that, when I live in Britain I miss the US so what does that tell ya! (I don't know myself, very confusing if you ask me!)
that was me exactly I was so confused!! I was warned the adjustment for most was harder going back than coming here (unless you hate the US) couldn't understand that until I did it and they (ex-pats relocation firm) were right!

BTW never was into the South of France went there to see if I wanted to live there - hated it - so my poor hubby had to commute from Scotland to Toulouse for 9 months
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:16 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I came here because I married a New Yorker. However, we subsequently chose to live in the USA which is why I got my Green card.

I have no regrets, zero, nil, nada, at having moved to the USA and have no intention under almost any conceivable circumstance of moving back to the UK.

If I were to have a 2nd choice it would be new Zealand, or OZ, or SA, or maybe Uruguay (now that's a nice place).
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:27 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd do it again - I've had a blast. But I came here as a student which I think greatly smoothed the transition. No job hunting pressure at the start, cheap health insurance, easier to make friends, etc....

Whether I would want to get edumacted again is another question...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:27 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Same here .... the wife was here and I had no real reason to stay in the UK.

Things have also turned out way above expectation .... I earn twice what I did in the UK and the cost of living in central Illinois is relatively cheap. Plus I read the local paper from back home and it saddens me .... nothing but crime and more crime .....
Yeah but wigin always was a shithole
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:35 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

The jury's still out for us but we wouldn't go back to the UK
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:52 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Originally Posted by britvic
True, he cant wait to get back.
but just think a few years down the road, when that little boy of yours finishes his education, and realizes that he has an American passport! oh lord, when wanderlust kicks in!!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
but just think a few years down the road, when that little boy of yours finishes his education, and realizes that he has an American passport! oh lord, when wanderlust kicks in!!!
Isn't that what you want for your children...to give them as many opportunities as possible? Our Brit/USC sons and daughters will be able to live and work in any European country or the USA...that's a great opportunity IMHO.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:03 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Yeah, I'd do it again - I've had a blast. But I came here as a student which I think greatly smoothed the transition. No job hunting pressure at the start, cheap health insurance, easier to make friends, etc....

Whether I would want to get edumacted again is another question...
Didn't know they even had uni's over here back in them days
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

If I knew then what I know then no I wouldn't move to the US. It wasn't a case of hating the UK, I'm married to a yank and we thought we'd give here a shot, so not really looking to emigrate anywhere else. Eventually if we can ever afford it we'll probably move back to the UK, but it won't be for a good few years. I don't hate the US' but it's just not home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.