Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:47 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

I moved here because I married my USC husband, and we had to choose, either UK or US. I'm glad I have lived here, otherwise I would never have known what it was like, but I'd love to move back. He isn't so keen on moving over there, so it isn't happening right now, but hopefully sometime in the future. I have been here over 3 years now, but still doesn't really feel like home.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
but just think a few years down the road, when that little boy of yours finishes his education, and realizes that he has an American passport! oh lord, when wanderlust kicks in!!!
That will be up to him but growing up with an American Farther who choose's to live in the UK some how I dont think our Son will believe the so called American dream.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Brync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbark
I moved here because I married my USC husband, and we had to choose, either UK or US. I'm glad I have lived here, otherwise I would never have known what it was like, but I'd love to move back. He isn't so keen on moving over there, so it isn't happening right now, but hopefully sometime in the future. I have been here over 3 years now, but still doesn't really feel like home.
Hi Debbie,

How can you even consider leaving! Not only that you'll leave me as the only Arkansas based Brit on the site.....Don't do it!!!!! (but if you have to will you send me some Uncle Joes Mint balls)...

All the best

Bryn
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Location: NY for now.. in three year's time perhaps back to London!!!
Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice

Well speaking from an American perspective (born and raised in NY) I'd rather be in London. I found the quality of our life better and not to mention no $900+ electric/gas bills over on the other-side-of-the-pond each month, traveling on holiday (blows this place away), having more friends (w/toddlers) over in London then here in NY., and husband made a lot more money in London. He received a pay cut because of the exchange rate which killed us (didn't find out until after we moved)! So for us, I'd say we were happier in London. Plus I didn't have to deal with "family politics" like I do here. And all of this doing was because "I" wanted my first child to be born on U.S. soil!! Oh boy.. Everythings hindsight isn't it.. The only upside is the shopping at specialty stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Linens & Things, Ann Taylor and the "big house" we both wanted at the time and now hate..
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:03 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nylon
Well speaking from an American perspective (born and raised in NY) I'd rather be in London. I found the quality of our life better and not to mention no $900+ electric/gas bills over on the other-side-of-the-pond each month, traveling on holiday (blows this place away), having more friends (w/toddlers) over in London then here in NY., and husband made a lot more money in London. He received a pay cut because of the exchange rate which killed us (didn't find out until after we moved)! So for us, I'd say we were happier in London. Plus I didn't have to deal with "family politics" like I do here. And all of this doing was because "I" wanted my first child to be born on U.S. soil!! Oh boy.. Everythings hindsight isn't it.. The only upside is the shopping at specialty stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Linens & Things, Ann Taylor and the "big house" we both wanted at the time and now hate..
sorry to hear you are unhappy now- but it's always good to hear different perspectives- esp. when someone bigs up England- I'm all ears I just don't think the British are very good at that ourselves.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:17 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nylon
hiya nylon, yep you and my usc hubs too, he lived for yrs in the uk and much prefers the way of life plus quality of life and we will be heading back one of these days for good. time passes and hope you make it back to live in good old blighty
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
sorry to hear you are unhappy now- but it's always good to hear different perspectives- esp. when someone bigs up England- I'm all ears I just don't think the British are very good at that ourselves.
I think there are pro and cons for both countries...the difference is the UK is where we were born and bred...it's home.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:24 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think there are pro and cons for both countries...the difference is the UK is where we were born and bred...it's home.
I have to remind myself of that. Can't think of any pros to here at the mo.
But that's just me and the way I just really want to be home now.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:25 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

haha nor can i
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:29 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The job situation here is very very different to Europe. It's not just the lack of holiday time. It is the very bleak fact that there are a few people who make a lot of money, and most people make less than they would in Europe, once you factor in the cost of health care.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know...but you'll be back home soon. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:32 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

On balance I would have stayed in the UK. Having said that if we went home there are things I would miss about the US.

The US has not lived up to our personal expectations..job and cost of living are not what we expected to name just two.
I have found it very hard not being able to work here (H4 ,need I say more) and I will find it hard to get work when I am allowed.
Although we have good health care we have still spent a lot on copays etc and I dread one of us being really, expensively ill.

But there is a sense of "you can do it" here which I didn't feel in the UK.
There is much I enjoy about life here and we have done things we wouldn't have done at home and we have met lots of new people and I hope some of them will become good friends.

I still prefer the UK. I think we had a more interesting life there. The things that used to get to me about the UK don't seem as bad now but I do know that if we went back they would begin to p**s me off again.

I think we are stuck here though as my eldest is off to college here, the middle one will follow soon, my OH loves it here and we have spent most of our savings in the move and setting up again.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:33 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I feel horrible for you folks that are miserable here. Living in a country with the size and diversity of the U.S. and not being able to find a single good thing about it would bring me down in a hurry. How do you stay so upbeat and jovial? Thoughts of the day you get the hell outta Dodge, I guess.

Anyway, sorry you hate it.

Not even Ben & Jerry's?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I feel horrible for you folks that are miserable here. Living in a country with the size and diversity of the U.S. and not being able to find a single good thing about it would bring me down in a hurry. How do you stay so upbeat and jovial? Thoughts of the day you get the hell outta Dodge, I guess.

Anyway, sorry you hate it.

Not even Ben & Jerry's?
I think for some...not all...they/I left a good life back home and all that's familiar and it's that what they yearn for.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

Not even Ben & Jerry's?
I think that for a country where one is supposed to identify with one's job (and in fact you are MARRIED to your job -- you barely get to leave!) that job satisfaction would impact heavily.

The conditions we Americans accept as "normal" would be considered inhumane in Europe, and those from Europe (and I'm including the UK here) know it. They know how relaxed life can be with decent holiday leave and without worrying over having to settle for a job because it's got health insurance and another job doesn't offer it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.