Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Wikiposts

Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:57 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have

Originally Posted by Nylon
Jumping Doris that's because the majority of Americans have never lived anywhere else - let alone move to a different location other than where they grew up. I think being American I can pretty much stand by that although of course you don't like to generalize but I would suffice to say it is true. Hey what's the percentage of Americans who don't even hold passports!! Something like 20% I think or 1 out of four Americans. Take my brother for example he has **NEVER** traveled outside of the continential U.S. perhaps I'm being a bit hard (ok so Bahamas and Mexico ) and is living in the same town where we grew up in the same freakin' house! He doens't even hold a passport for a quick getaway if need be. So when you come across Americans giving you that confused look and not understanding why you would prefer to live somewhere else other than the good ol' USA just chuckle to yourself (because it's more than likely they themselves have never lived anywhere else). You don't know what you don't experience!

Cheers.
I know quite a few people here who live in the house they grew up in!
In a way I envy them that sense of place and belonging.
When we first moved here I was surprised by how many people hadn't seen that much of the US but now I know it's because they don't get much holiday.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:04 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nylon
Jumping Doris that's because the majority of Americans have never lived anywhere else - let alone move to a different location other than where they grew up. I think being American I can pretty much stand by that although of course you don't like to generalize but I would suffice to say it is true. Hey what's the percentage of Americans who don't even hold passports!! Something like 20% I think or 1 out of four Americans. Take my brother for example he has **NEVER** traveled outside of the continential U.S. perhaps I'm being a bit hard (ok so Bahamas and Mexico ) and is living in the same town where we grew up in the same freakin' house! He doens't even hold a passport for a quick getaway if need be. So when you come across Americans giving you that confused look and not understanding why you would prefer to live somewhere else other than the good ol' USA just chuckle to yourself (because it's more than likely they themselves have never lived anywhere else). You don't know what you don't experience!

Cheers.
I just saw it on TV - 27% of Americans have a passport. But that has recently changed, those trips your brother took to Mexico and The Bahamas now require a passport. The days of "going to other countries with yr birth certificate" are over. Also need passport to go to Canada. Lots of new passports to be issued - all those people on cruise ships, etc., who want to get off the boat in other countries.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: NY for now.. in three year's time perhaps back to London!!!
Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mallory
I just saw it on TV - 27% of Americans have a passport. But that has recently changed, those trips your brother took to Mexico and The Bahamas now require a passport. The days of "going to other countries with yr birth certificate" are over. Also need passport to go to Canada. Lots of new passports to be issued - all those people on cruise ships, etc., who want to get off the boat in other countries.
That's right. Forgot about that. Well I guess he'll just have to go get himself a passport.

Last edited by Nylon; Jan 30th 2007 at 9:12 am.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think part of the question that needs to be asked is whether the things that are annoying you now, or reasons you would want to go back now, were obvious from the start, or if they are things that developed over time and you learned about only from staying here?
That is a really good point. I have things that irritate me now that didn't bother me 10 years or so ago, or they just didn't affect me.
I would probably do it again because of my USC Hubby, but I would plan better for an eventual move back. Time goes so fast and wanting to be where your heart and roots are can really creep up on you all of a sudden.

I have had a better job, car house etc..... in the last 5 years than the first struggling 10 spent here, and am more restless now than when times were tougher.
it just goes to show that to see how rich you are, just look at what you have that money can't buy, not what it can.
(apart from plane tickets!)
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:36 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I know quite a few people here who live in the house they grew up in!
In a way I envy them that sense of place and belonging.
When we first moved here I was surprised by how many people hadn't seen that much of the US but now I know it's because they don't get much holiday.
And because it is so big. I remember talking to a cabbie in London once who was telling me of his holiday (in Florida, of course). He was shocked to be in 78 degree Miami beach watching TV of Boston in a total blizzard. "It's the same country, and I'm in the sun and they were in Snow. Unbelievable!"

My father has visited 48 states, and I have 35, but I don't know if we will ever get to 50. If you visited only one state per annual holiday, you'd be nearing retirement by the time you took them all in.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Brync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AvromShalom
Knowing what you know now.. bearing in mind that most have been here a few years , given the chance again would America have been your first choice to emigrate too?? or, after having lived here do you wish that you had gone elsewhere??
I've tried it both ways...Met my wife here and she moved to the UK for 13 or 14 years then we moved back over here. This is definitely better...Wish I'd done it years ago....
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:12 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brync
I've tried it both ways ...Met my wife here and she moved to the UK for 13 or 14 years then we moved back over here. This is definitely better...Wish I'd done it years ago....
ohhh i say

yeah we have too...first my usc hubs lived in the uk 18 yrs and now we've been here 5yrs and no comparison he's a sensible man my man and much prefers life in the uk
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:19 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ohhh i say

yeah we have too...first my usc hubs lived in the uk 18 yrs and now we've been here 5yrs and no comparison he's a sensible man my man and much prefers life in the uk
so how long before you get to go back?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:04 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I'll stay for the After Eight hazelnut coffee.And the bagels.

I am sure that there is a part of the US where I would feel really at home, I just don't think it's Pittsburgh.

I really miss being able to walk everywhere and having the High Street with all the local shops.
At the moment I am trying to motivate myself into going out for some shopping. I need stamps for posting to the UK so I will need the post office and then I need the supermarket. They are miles apart with loads of traffic lights and it will take me forever and I won't see anyone I know.
Back in the UK I would walk up to the High street (5mins) and there I would have everything and I would see lots of people I knew. The supermarket was small and I had to drive if I wanted a big shop at Tesco etc.
For me thats the biggest down about living in the 'burbs. I'm sure somewhere else would offer more of what I want but the job's in Pittsburgh
http://stlouis.missouri.org/thehill/

This is the neighborhood where I lived from age 6 to 22 when I got married and moved to an ancient flat about five miles away. I lived there again from age 27 to 32 when My wife and I bought our first house two blocks from my parents. It sounds like what you describe back in England. I've never been to Pittsburgh, I don't think I'll bother! I don't blame you for disliking it.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:47 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
http://stlouis.missouri.org/thehill/

This is the neighborhood where I lived from age 6 to 22 when I got married and moved to an ancient flat about five miles away. I lived there again from age 27 to 32 when My wife and I bought our first house two blocks from my parents. It sounds like what you describe back in England. I've never been to Pittsburgh, I don't think I'll bother! I don't blame you for disliking it.
Poor old Pittsburgh. I feel really mean now and will try harder
Today the sun is shining, blue sky,snow. Looks lovely.
I think, on reflection, there is probably a lot to do here I just have to learn to do it in a different way, if that makes any sense.
In the UK there is a lot on the doorstep and the concept of driving miles for something except an annual holiday is quite alien.
My MIL was Austrian and she used to always eat pork on New Years Day rather than chicken because "the chicken scratches backwards and the pig snuffles forward". Time to stop being a chicken and become a pig!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:52 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

My MIL was Austrian and she used to always eat pork on New Years Day rather than chicken because "the chicken scratches backwards and the pig snuffles forward". Time to stop being a chicken and become a pig!
I used to eat a bacon sandwich on new years day - come to think of it I used to eat bacon sandwiches every day - great times
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I used to eat a bacon sandwich on new years day - come to think of it I used to eat bacon sandwiches every day - great times
Smoked bacon sandwiches....yum...
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:50 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Knowing what you know now, Wouldya have?

HELL NO!
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Smoked bacon sandwiches....yum...
I miss British Rail bacon sarnies.
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

bacon butties made with soda bread, best ones i've had were made by this little irish lady in the staff canteen at belfast airport ..think we've had this discussion before davy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.