Kids?

Old May 26th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids?

Originally Posted by woodsey
its quite outragous really that they ever got away with selling those things though, can you remember the tobacco you used to be able to buy as well, can't remember what it was called but it was delicious..
my favourite of all time though were Cabana bars, they had cherries in, fab..
No, I only remember the candy ciggies and the packet they came in which made them seem almost like having a real packet of 10 ciggies. I remember buying them when I was about 7 y/o and pretending that I was all big and grown up ... twas back in the days when it was still acceptable to smoke and no one thought anything of it!

When I was at secondary school I also remember the local shops selling 'singles' ... you could buy one ciggie for something like 10p. That is something that I doubt any shopkeeper would get away with now, even then I thought it was wrong because the shopkeeper knew the average school kid couldn't afford a whole packet and so was making sure that they could afford at least one - at an inflated price!

Oh, and those penny sweets ... just before I left the UK I was in a shop and a woman with her daughter had picked out a tray of those sweets (think they are 2p now?) ... the shopkeeper picked them all up with his bare hands to count and bag them ... most of them did not have a wrapper, and I thought that was quite disgusting (probably didn't notice such things when I was a kid). One thing I have noticed in the US is that they are very hygiene conscious ... whereas in the UK we are definately lacking some basic hygiene rules. It was only after my husband came to the UK and complained, that I realised when you buy an ice cream cone the seller picks up the cone with his bare hands!
Old May 26th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I've remembered one type of candy that I used to buy, that I'm sure must have been banned from sale many years ago .... anyone remember candy cigarettes? White candy sticks with coloured ends, so as a kid you could pretend you were smoking just like your mum or dad? How times have changed eh!
u can still buy them i think its awful
Old May 26th 2005, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
u can still buy them i think its awful
Oh my god ... I checked online, because it just seems crazy that candy cigarettes are still available to children ... and you're right, they are still for sale in the US and the UK!
Old May 26th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh my god ... I checked online, because it just seems crazy that candy cigarettes are still available to children ... and you're right, they are still for sale in the US and the UK!
I'm probably also wrong in thinking that shopkeepers no longer sell real cigarettes as singles to school children ... maybe they just keep them under the counter and rely on word of mouth at the local primary school to get the sales now! After all, who could possibly stand in the way of a shopkeeper's profit margin!
Old May 26th 2005, 11:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably also wrong in thinking that shopkeepers no longer sell real cigarettes as singles to school children ... maybe they just keep them under the counter and rely on word of mouth at the local primary school to get the sales now! After all, who could possibly stand in the way of a shopkeeper's profit margin!
10 packs split between kids, or the 16 pack from the vending machine at the pub while out to lunch...
Old May 26th 2005, 11:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Kids?

Can anyone remember those disgusting Victory V lozenges?

And those tiny little black liquorice-type things (similar texture to wine gums) called 'Little Imps'? They were disgusting too, but some of my friends loved to buy those as well as the Victory V's - which were probably named when the war ended....?

Both of the above seemed like taking bad medicine and they had an aneasthetic effect in the mouth. Blech....

I used to like milk gums, coconut mushrooms....and parma violets LOL!

Our local candy shop also sold those pyramid-shaped frozen ice cones...I think they're called 'Jubbly's' and I could never open them.
Old May 27th 2005, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Our local candy shop also sold those pyramid-shaped frozen ice cones...I think they're called 'Jubbly's' and I could never open them.
the one with the bubble gum ball at the bottom? loved those...but got put of those after seeing someone get nailed by a car as she walked out behind the ice-cream van though.
Old May 27th 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

No, I only remember the candy ciggies and the packet they came in which made them seem almost like having a real packet of 10 ciggies. I remember buying them when I was about 7 y/o and pretending that I was all big and grown up ... twas back in the days when it was still acceptable to smoke and no one thought anything of it!

When I was at secondary school I also remember the local shops selling 'singles' ... you could buy one ciggie for something like 10p. That is something that I doubt any shopkeeper would get away with now, even then I thought it was wrong because the shopkeeper knew the average school kid couldn't afford a whole packet and so was making sure that they could afford at least one - at an inflated price!

Oh, and those penny sweets ... just before I left the UK I was in a shop and a woman with her daughter had picked out a tray of those sweets (think they are 2p now?) ... the shopkeeper picked them all up with his bare hands to count and bag them ... most of them did not have a wrapper, and I thought that was quite disgusting (probably didn't notice such things when I was a kid). One thing I have noticed in the US is that they are very hygiene conscious ... whereas in the UK we are definately lacking some basic hygiene rules. It was only after my husband came to the UK and complained, that I realised when you buy an ice cream cone the seller picks up the cone with his bare hands!
i hope youre still insisting on condoms,j/k
Old May 27th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

thats old hat,now its probably weed and ecstacy