Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just when you think it can't get any worse!

Just when you think it can't get any worse!

Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just when you think it can't get any worse!

Originally Posted by ironporer
At least for # 1, I must say that of all the countries I have traveled to, or known people from the Dutch usually speak the best English of all- including what I would call a 'British accent". In fact this morning on NPR there was a Dutck spokesman for something, and except for an odd inflection on one or two words, I would have sworn she was a Brit.

#2 is just a plain old idiot who never paid attention to geography class (or Hockey games)
You're right, as a rule the Dutch speak excellent english, with many of them sounding Brit or American.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
You're right, as a rule the Dutch speak excellent english, with many of them sounding Brit or American.
My husband sounds slightly German to someone who's not heard a Dutch person speak English before. He's gotten used to it and in fact, to be called out as a German means that the person making this dastardly accusation can at least differentiate between a few different accents and is more intelligent than the average Texan.

I think that might be why it's easier for him for people to not recognise his accent: Dutch people are as rare as rocking horse shit here, and certainly there's not been any Dutch television or movies here. So almost no one is going to get it right.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:09 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
my scottish hairdresser is a really nice gay male guy and i wouldn't have put it past him
Is his name Angus by any chance?

NC Penguin
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Just being a bit of nit-picker, but the Union Jack is not the Union Flag.

The Union Jack is a red naval flag with the Union Flag in the top left hand corner.

The more you know...
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Is his name Angus by any chance?

NC Penguin

no sorry, it's...... wait for it....B.J.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Tinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura about

I believe that you are incorrect. The Union Jack is the Union flag.

The red naval flag that you describe is called a Red Ensign and is flow by UK merchant ships.

The more you know, the more you confuse!

Tiny
Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Just being a bit of nit-picker, but the Union Jack is not the Union Flag.

The Union Jack is a red naval flag with the Union Flag in the top left hand corner.

The more you know...
Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:17 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

FFS

If it's B J Fitzstuart I am out of here.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 5:07 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Thank you, on behalf of the Dutch people...
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
FFS

If it's B J Fitzstuart I am out of here.

lol it's an abbreviation for brendan so he says
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

saw a weird thing at work the other day. I dont know about elsewhere but here in LA the Union Jack is something of a designer logo. You see it everywhere on expensive jeans, t-shirts all over the place. I am sure plenty of people dont even realise what it is!
Anyway I saw a guy with a union jack tshirt with the words in bold GREECE underneath it.
I long to ask him the story behind it. Is it some post modern ironic statment on the greek/UK relations (nothing particularly weird there I think). Did the designer really think its a greek flag.. or is it just some random shit that someone put on the tshirt in the same way that you get all that great engrish in japan.

If it was some other country like say iraq or even america I would understand maybe some political comment but greece???

lol it's an abbreviation for brendan so he says
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
saw a weird thing at work the other day. I dont know about elsewhere but here in LA the Union Jack is something of a designer logo. You see it everywhere on expensive jeans, t-shirts all over the place. I am sure plenty of people dont even realise what it is!
Anyway I saw a guy with a union jack tshirt with the words in bold GREECE underneath it.
I long to ask him the story behind it. Is it some post modern ironic statment on the greek/UK relations (nothing particularly weird there I think). Did the designer really think its a greek flag.. or is it just some random shit that someone put on the tshirt in the same way that you get all that great engrish in japan.

If it was some other country like say iraq or even america I would understand maybe some political comment but greece???

The cradle of classical civilisation vs the pinnacle of modern civilisation?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Prince Philip is Greek....my mum calls him Nick the Greek.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:14 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

When I was 15 & having fun living in Texas, there was a girl called BJ who we would hang out with occasionally, I took great delight in calling her Blow Job! No one seemed to notice what I was saying!

Last edited by Partystar; Oct 11th 2006 at 12:16 am.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Even my Yank OH said when he was a wee snot nosed little bugger he thought the Union Jack had something to do with heavy metal music LOL but you are right those cool way out sort of shops are full of Union Jacks on T shirts, Jacket's even shoe's
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:10 pm
Northern git

Wiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to all

I thought that the Union Flag was only the Union Jack when it was being flown from a ship/boat ? It's the same design, just a different name when being flown from a ship.

Not 100% sure but believe that is true.

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
I believe that you are incorrect. The Union Jack is the Union flag.

The red naval flag that you describe is called a Red Ensign and is flow by UK merchant ships.

The more you know, the more you confuse!

Tiny