British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Just when you think it can't get any worse! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/just-when-you-think-cant-get-any-worse-400652/)

Ash UK/US Oct 5th 2006 4:40 pm

Just when you think it can't get any worse!

Here 2 things that happened to me within the last 2 weeks both had me :rolleyes:

1) I am helping a customer (and her young daughter) at work when the mother says 'I like your accent, where are you from'? before i have chance to answer she turns to her daughter and says 'she sounds just like Anna'. So I tell her I am from England 'oh' she says looking a little puzzled then she says to me 'you sound just like Anna, a dutch exchange student we have staying with us' :rolleyes:

Before I begin the next one keep in mind the State (Michigan) I live in and the country it neighbours (Canada). Also I have to wear a lanyard with a name tag on it for work, so at the bottom center I have union jack flag crossed with the stars and stripes flag/pin. On the right half way up I have a union jack pin and on the laft half way up I have the St George cross flag/pin.

2) We just hired in a lot of new people at work ready for Christmas. I am talking to one of the new guys and he says 'that is quite the accent you have, where are you from' so I respond with 'where do you think I am from'? and he says Canada or Britian so I tell him and he says 'well why are you wearing the Canadian flag' (pointing to the St George's cross). So I pick up the union jack and begin to explain and he says 'yeah I know that is the English one, but the other is Canadian'. When I explain about the flags and tell him the Canadian one has a Maple leaf on it not a cross he says 'oh yeah, I think your right'. BTW he is 21 and has lived in MI all his life :rolleyes:

Just when you think you've heard them all!

Ash

snowbunny Oct 5th 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Just when you think it can't get any worse!

Although people are insulting when they insist that THEY must know where YOU are from....

the lad has a good visual memory. Here's the flag of Ontario, the province that neighbours Michigan. See anything familiar? :D

http://www.ontario-cottages.ca/images/ontario-flag.jpg

Ash UK/US Oct 5th 2006 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Although people are insulting when they insist that THEY must know where YOU are from....

the lad has a good visual memory. Here's the flag of Ontario, the province that neighbours Michigan. See anything familiar? :D

A valid point.

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 6th 2006 3:17 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Yeah that red background looks just the the Chinese flag...

ironporer Oct 6th 2006 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Here 2 things that happened to me within the last 2 weeks both had me :rolleyes:

1) I am helping a customer (and her young daughter) at work when the mother says 'I like your accent, where are you from'? before i have chance to answer she turns to her daughter and says 'she sounds just like Anna'. So I tell her I am from England 'oh' she says looking a little puzzled then she says to me 'you sound just like Anna, a dutch exchange student we have staying with us' :rolleyes:

Before I begin the next one keep in mind the State (Michigan) I live in and the country it neighbours (Canada). Also I have to wear a lanyard with a name tag on it for work, so at the bottom center I have union jack flag crossed with the stars and stripes flag/pin. On the right half way up I have a union jack pin and on the laft half way up I have the St George cross flag/pin.

2) We just hired in a lot of new people at work ready for Christmas. I am talking to one of the new guys and he says 'that is quite the accent you have, where are you from' so I respond with 'where do you think I am from'? and he says Canada or Britian so I tell him and he says 'well why are you wearing the Canadian flag' (pointing to the St George's cross). So I pick up the union jack and begin to explain and he says 'yeah I know that is the English one, but the other is Canadian'. When I explain about the flags and tell him the Canadian one has a Maple leaf on it not a cross he says 'oh yeah, I think your right'. BTW he is 21 and has lived in MI all his life :rolleyes:

Just when you think you've heard them all!

Ash

At least for # 1, I must say that of all the countries I have traveled to, or known people from the Dutch usually speak the best English of all- including what I would call a 'British accent". In fact this morning on NPR there was a Dutck spokesman for something, and except for an odd inflection on one or two words, I would have sworn she was a Brit.

#2 is just a plain old idiot who never paid attention to geography class (or Hockey games)

TruBrit Oct 6th 2006 5:14 am

in the hairdressers last month the middle aged lady sitting next to me commented on my accent and asked me where i was from and i replied 'england' and she then asked how long i'd been here, i replied '4 yrs' and her exact words were 'geez, you have really picked up the english accent well in that time' and i told her 'no, i am from england and we speak english' and with that she turned as red as her lipstick and never spoke to me again :p

my scottish hairdresser and i had a good old laugh at her expense when she left out ;)

dan_alford Oct 6th 2006 5:47 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit
in the hairdressers last month the middle aged lady sitting next to me commented on my accent and asked me where i was from and i replied 'england' and she then asked how long i'd been here, i replied '4 yrs' and her exact words were 'geez, you have really picked up the english accent well in that time' and i told her 'no, i am from england and we speak english' and with that she turned as red as her lipstick and never spoke to me again :p

my scottish hairdresser and i had a good old laugh at her expense when she left out ;)

Would have been even better if the scottish hairdresser was doing the lady's hair and the lady had called her English. :p

TruBrit Oct 6th 2006 5:53 am

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Would have been even better if the scottish hairdresser was doing the lady's hair and the lady had called her English. :p

haha now that would have been a laugh...bless they really don't know ;)

dan_alford Oct 6th 2006 5:54 am

haha now that would have been a laugh...bless they really don't know ;)

I bet there would have been a "whoops may hand slipped" as she cuts a chunk out of the ladies hair.

TruBrit Oct 6th 2006 5:56 am

I bet there would have been a "whoops may hand slipped" as she cuts a chunk out of the ladies hair.

my scottish hairdresser is a really nice gay male guy and i wouldn't have put it past him :eek: :p

dan_alford Oct 6th 2006 6:00 am

my scottish hairdresser is a really nice gay male guy and i wouldn't have put it past him :eek: :p

My bad for sterotyping him as a her :o

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 6th 2006 6:09 am

My bad for sterotyping him as a her :o

Yeah are you a homophobe?

dan_alford Oct 6th 2006 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Yeah are you a homophobe?

Nope, seeing as you are my friend and you are gay ;) ... Ooops, let that one out , sorry :p

Just assumed that the hairdresser was a woman.

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 6th 2006 6:29 am

Nope, seeing as you are my friend and you are gay ;) ... Ooops, let that one out , sorry :p

Just assumed that the hairdresser was a woman.

LOL

fatbrit Oct 6th 2006 6:33 am

http://www.theodora.com/flags/state_flags/hi.gif