Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This just cracked me up.....

This just cracked me up.....

Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all
Default This just cracked me up.....

We hadn't been in the USA long when I got a telephone call from the charity ARC. This is how the conversation went....

'Jane' from ARC: "Good evening, this is Jane from ARC, we will be in your area on Tuesday and wondered if you had anything for us to collect?"

Me: "I'm sorry, I don't know what ARC is, what you are collecting?"

'Jane' from ARC: "This is Jane from ARC, we will be collecting in your area on Tuesday, do you have a donation for us?"

Me: "What exactly is ARC?, I'm afraid I haven't heard of you before. What are you collecting?"

'Jane' from ARC (spoken very slowly): "Do.....you.....speak.....English?"

Me: "I AM English!!!"

........when 'Jane' from ARC had recovered laughing, she was very apologetic, it was so funny though. The weird thing was, the next time I got a call from them I got a guy with a British accent.....

Paint.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This just cracked me up.....

so did you ever find out what ARC were collecting for?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

Yes - they will collect anything you don't want to sell in their charity shops

Paint.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:37 am
Senor Member ( no typo)

expat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paint
Yes - they will collect anything you don't want to sell in their charity shops

Paint.

Still got a long way to go to catch up with the UK when it comes to the proliferation of charity shops in their towns and cities
Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:31 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

American Red Cross
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
so did you ever find out what ARC were collecting for?

Association of Retired Chiropractors.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, ARC stands for the 'Association for Retarded Citizens' where I am, but there are a lot of associations with the same abbreviation: Arthritis Research Campaign, and American Red Cross etc.

Paint.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:36 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Paint
We hadn't been in the USA long when I got a telephone call from the charity ARC. This is how the conversation went....

'Jane' from ARC: "Good evening, this is Jane from ARC, we will be in your area on Tuesday and wondered if you had anything for us to collect?"

Me: "I'm sorry, I don't know what ARC is, what you are collecting?"

'Jane' from ARC: "This is Jane from ARC, we will be collecting in your area on Tuesday, do you have a donation for us?"

Me: "What exactly is ARC?, I'm afraid I haven't heard of you before. What are you collecting?"

'Jane' from ARC (spoken very slowly): "Do.....you.....speak.....English?"

Me: "I AM English!!!"

........when 'Jane' from ARC had recovered laughing, she was very apologetic, it was so funny though. The weird thing was, the next time I got a call from them I got a guy with a British accent.....

Paint.

One phone call from a salesperson I recv'd while living in Maine was really wierd.
When she reralised I was English (accent and all) she started giggling and said to me

"Tell me I'm a naughty girl".....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She said it again, and then she carried on laughing to herself , nearly peed her pants, and I never did find out wtf she was selling.
I put the phone down in a state of shock.

This is a true story....and yes, she WAS definately a salesperson as she began trying to sell something.
Some of these sales people need a friggin bullet inthe head.

Mumble, mumble, (<------- The Suffolk Mumbles, btw)

bumpking
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Probably been watching too many episodes of 'SuperNanny' or 'Nanny 911' LOL!!

Paint
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Not a sales call but they other day I got a call from a guy with the strongest 'Bolton' accent asking to speak to "Christine", I said "I'm sorry I think you have the wrong number" he asked me what number I was and I replied "909..........." he then said in a most confused voice "but I thought I had dialled America" " you have" I replied "but you're English" he replied......this went on for about 5 minutes and I still don't think he understood that he had dialled a number in America to speak to an English person , had got the wrong number but also another English person....
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
....he had dialled a number in America to speak to an English person , had got the wrong number but also another English person....
My wife used to get that reaction frequently when we lived in London. She worked in the London office of an American business, and her Southern (Virginian) accent used to frequently catch out callers from the US offices who would think that they had speed-dailed a US office rather than the London office.