British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   This just cracked me up..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/just-cracked-me-up-283234/)

Paint Feb 9th 2005 11:41 pm

This just cracked me up.....

We hadn't been in the USA long when I got a telephone call from the charity ARC. This is how the conversation went....

'Jane' from ARC: "Good evening, this is Jane from ARC, we will be in your area on Tuesday and wondered if you had anything for us to collect?"

Me: "I'm sorry, I don't know what ARC is, what you are collecting?"

'Jane' from ARC: "This is Jane from ARC, we will be collecting in your area on Tuesday, do you have a donation for us?"

Me: "What exactly is ARC?, I'm afraid I haven't heard of you before. What are you collecting?"

'Jane' from ARC (spoken very slowly): "Do.....you.....speak.....English?"

Me: "I AM English!!!"

........when 'Jane' from ARC had recovered laughing, she was very apologetic, it was so funny though. The weird thing was, the next time I got a call from them I got a guy with a British accent.....

Paint.

Bob Feb 10th 2005 1:24 am

Re: This just cracked me up.....

so did you ever find out what ARC were collecting for? :)

Paint Feb 10th 2005 1:30 pm

Yes - they will collect anything you don't want to sell in their charity shops :)

Paint.

expat01 Feb 12th 2005 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Paint
Yes - they will collect anything you don't want to sell in their charity shops :)

Paint.

Still got a long way to go to catch up with the UK when it comes to the proliferation of charity shops in their towns and cities

vegas Feb 12th 2005 1:31 pm

American Red Cross

Jabba1 Feb 13th 2005 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Bob
so did you ever find out what ARC were collecting for? :)

Association of Retired Chiropractors. :D :D :D :D

Paint Feb 13th 2005 3:04 pm

Actually, ARC stands for the 'Association for Retarded Citizens' where I am, but there are a lot of associations with the same abbreviation: Arthritis Research Campaign, and American Red Cross etc.

Paint.

Suffolk Bumpkin Feb 14th 2005 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Paint
We hadn't been in the USA long when I got a telephone call from the charity ARC. This is how the conversation went....

'Jane' from ARC: "Good evening, this is Jane from ARC, we will be in your area on Tuesday and wondered if you had anything for us to collect?"

Me: "I'm sorry, I don't know what ARC is, what you are collecting?"

'Jane' from ARC: "This is Jane from ARC, we will be collecting in your area on Tuesday, do you have a donation for us?"

Me: "What exactly is ARC?, I'm afraid I haven't heard of you before. What are you collecting?"

'Jane' from ARC (spoken very slowly): "Do.....you.....speak.....English?"

Me: "I AM English!!!"

........when 'Jane' from ARC had recovered laughing, she was very apologetic, it was so funny though. The weird thing was, the next time I got a call from them I got a guy with a British accent.....

Paint.

One phone call from a salesperson I recv'd while living in Maine was really wierd.
When she reralised I was English (accent and all) she started giggling and said to me

"Tell me I'm a naughty girl".....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She said it again, and then she carried on laughing to herself , nearly peed her pants, and I never did find out wtf she was selling.
I put the phone down in a state of shock.

This is a true story....and yes, she WAS definately a salesperson as she began trying to sell something.
Some of these sales people need a friggin bullet inthe head.

Mumble, mumble, (<------- The Suffolk Mumbles, btw)

bumpking

Paint Feb 14th 2005 11:13 pm

Probably been watching too many episodes of 'SuperNanny' or 'Nanny 911' LOL!!

Paint

woodsey Feb 16th 2005 1:14 am

Not a sales call but they other day I got a call from a guy with the strongest 'Bolton' accent asking to speak to "Christine", I said "I'm sorry I think you have the wrong number" he asked me what number I was and I replied "909..........." he then said in a most confused voice "but I thought I had dialled America" " you have" I replied "but you're English" he replied......this went on for about 5 minutes and I still don't think he understood that he had dialled a number in America to speak to an English person , had got the wrong number but also another English person.... :eek:

Pulaski Feb 16th 2005 1:33 am

Originally Posted by woodsey
....he had dialled a number in America to speak to an English person , had got the wrong number but also another English person.... :eek:

My wife used to get that reaction frequently when we lived in London. She worked in the London office of an American business, and her Southern (Virginian) accent used to frequently catch out callers from the US offices who would think that they had speed-dailed a US office rather than the London office.