British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Jury Summons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/jury-summons-499279/)

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 12th 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Jury Summons

Originally Posted by Lord Knows (Post 5660609)
:unsure::ohmy:
In this vicinity jurors are selected from the registered voters, and thus must a usc and living within the jurisdiction. If you were to report and some how be selected it would be the basis for an appeal on the part of the defeated party. It could very well open you to the some sort of lability also. Not only would it be an embarrassment to the judicial system, it may lead to a total collapse of the process and downfall of western civilization.

My recommendation would be to reply honestly as to your status. Or walk across the Rio Grande from Mexico, which I understand entitles a person to most citizenship rights.

Jury summons in a lot of areas is from driving license records not voter registration hence the reason a lot of non citizens are summoned for jury duty.

Dogbyte Dec 12th 2007 4:08 pm

On a purely a personal note I believe that it is time to change our legal system from an accusatorial system to an inquistional system, so that a judge/Magistrates can interogate defendants.
Juries nowadays in the UK take little notice of the facts laid out before them in court and come up with stupid decisions based on their own beliefs and not the facts.Time for a change, me thinks !.:frown:

Scouse Express Dec 12th 2007 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dogbyte (Post 5660693)
But you are an exception.! Scouse humour ranks right at the top of my list of funny people (in the nicest sense).

I'm bowing gracefully and I would like to say, in my best Arthur Askey voice "I thank you!";)

Jim

Pony Dec 12th 2007 4:54 pm

I didn't suggest you should make a profit from doing jury duty, just that you shouldn't face financial hardship because of it.

Fulfilling your 'civic duty' at all costs is very noble; completely unrealistic, but noble none-the-less.

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5660062)
Jury duty is not meant to be a moneyspinner, it's a civic duty. It's really sh1t that people are so offhand and callous about it. It's an important thing to do for your community, and if you were up for trial you'd want to be judged by people that aren't there just because they couldn't be bothered to skive out of it.

Bob Dec 12th 2007 5:03 pm

passing yourself off as a US citizen when you aren't is a deportable offence if it hasn't been mentioned and would lead to a major ball ache when you do try and get citizenship...

lapin_windstar Dec 12th 2007 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pony (Post 5660853)
I didn't suggest you should make a profit from doing jury duty, just that you shouldn't face financial hardship because of it.

You said "Most professionals would be eligible to be excused...", but most professionals are employees who wouldn't be facing genuine hardship by attending jury duty, and they're often the loudest whiners. In any case, jury duty is a cost to be born as part of your membership of the community (and not an unjust one, imo).

Bob Dec 12th 2007 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 5660902)
You said "Most professionals would be eligible to be excused...", but most professionals are employees who wouldn't be facing genuine hardship by attending jury duty, and they're often the loudest whiners. In any case, jury duty is a cost to be born as part of your membership of the community (and not an unjust one, imo).

a lot are still waged though, and taking a week or two's hit on pay would have sunk us when we were up in maine.

SafetyNet Dec 12th 2007 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 5660707)
Jury summons in a lot of areas is from driving license records not voter registration hence the reason a lot of non citizens are summoned for jury duty.

Yeah, they use DMV records to send out jury summons.

I recently got my first summons during summer. And what an experience! Though I never got to the box to be questioned for selection, just sitting there and watching the process was pretty amazing.
It also helped that the lawyers and the judge AND the defendant were all gorgeous looking people. Sheer eye candy. Though the judge said real court is nothing like the TV shows, the people were certainly good looking enough to be celebrities :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 12th 2007 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by SafetyNet (Post 5660986)
Yeah, they use DMV records to send out jury summons.

I recently got my first summons during summer. And what an experience! Though I never got to the box to be questioned for selection, just sitting there and watching the process was pretty amazing.
It also helped that the lawyers and the judge AND the defendant were all gorgeous looking people. Sheer eye candy. Though the judge said real court is nothing like the TV shows, the people were certainly good looking enough to be celebrities :thumbup:

:DYou obviously don't live in rural Texas then.Not much eye candy going on in the courts around here.....unfortunately;)

Thydney Dec 12th 2007 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dogbyte (Post 5660708)
On a purely a personal note I believe that it is time to change our legal system from an accusatorial system to an inquistional system, so that a judge/Magistrates can interogate defendants.
Juries nowadays in the UK take little notice of the facts laid out before them in court and come up with stupid decisions based on their own beliefs and not the facts.Time for a change, me thinks !.:frown:

Because no one expects the inquisition:rofl:

Scouse Express Dec 13th 2007 1:21 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5662260)
Because no one expects the inquisition:rofl:

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

SecretGarden Dec 13th 2007 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5660883)
passing yourself off as a US citizen when you aren't is a deportable offence if it hasn't been mentioned and would lead to a major ball ache when you do try and get citizenship...

Uh.....I said as much in post #2 and in post #10............I can't believe this thread has gone to this many pages :confused:

~SecretGarden

Kaffy Mintcake Dec 13th 2007 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5660955)
a lot are still waged though, and taking a week or two's hit on pay would have sunk us when we were up in maine.

When my husband was selected to serve on the jury for a trial (it was at least 3 weeks long) he still received his usual pay from his employer, in addition the measly jury duty pay that likely covered parking and lunch. He's a salaried professional - I believe that's not unusual, otherwise you'd have all sorts of people claiming they couldn't serve.

TimFountain Dec 13th 2007 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Dogbyte (Post 5660708)

What relevance has this got to a discussion on being called for jury duty in the US? Get with the program....

Jerseygirl Dec 13th 2007 2:11 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5662742)
When my husband was selected to serve on the jury for a trial (it was at least 3 weeks long) he still received his usual pay from his employer, in addition the measly jury duty pay that likely covered parking and lunch. He's a salaried professional - I believe that's not unusual, otherwise you'd have all sorts of people claiming they couldn't serve.

Employers are legally obliged to pay you whilst you are on jury duty for the first 5 days.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/faq/jury.html#paid