British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Jury Summons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/jury-summons-499279/)

anabella Dec 12th 2007 12:00 am

Jury Summons

I have received a letter that says that I have been randomly selected to be a juror some time in January. I thought this was a bit odd since I am not even allowed to vote. After reading the whole document I think that I am not qualified because I'm not a US citizen (I would have to have a US passport to be a US citizen, right? :unsure:) But being part of a jury is an experience that I wouldn't mind having, do you think I could just turn up and hope that they don't check and let me be part of it or should I just let them know that I don't think I'm qualified.. I would really like to do it :o..

SecretGarden Dec 12th 2007 12:06 am

Re: Jury Summons

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 5658453)
I have received a letter that says that I have been randomly selected to be a juror some time in January. I thought this was a bit odd since I am not even allowed to vote. After reading the whole document I think that I am not qualified because I'm not a US citizen (I would have to have a US passport to be a US citizen, right? :unsure:) But being part of a jury is an experience that I wouldn't mind having, do you think I could just turn up and hope that they don't check and let me be part of it or should I just let them know that I don't think I'm qualified.. I would really like to do it :o..

You can't just show up and hope they don't check. You are right in saying that you are not eligible to be part of a jury unless you are a citizen. Showing up could indicate to someone that you are attempting to misrepresent yourself (which you aren't, of course); but from an immigration standpoint, you don't want anyone to think you are.

On the jury summons, there should be a section to fill out if you are requesting to be excused from service. Simply fill in that section and explain that you are not a US citizen (are you a permanent resident, or have you filed application to be one?).

They get the names for jury summonses from drivers' license bureaus.

Having been a foreman on a jury once, it really is pretty cool. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

~SecretGarden

dbj1000 Dec 12th 2007 12:06 am

It's probably a very, very bad thing to do to try and sit on a jury when you're not qualified. I would strongly advise against it.

Poppy girl Dec 12th 2007 12:07 am

After reading this story in our local paper this week I would not chance it.

Granted you are not going to vote but.............

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/147473.html

Scouse Express Dec 12th 2007 12:08 am

Be upfront and tell them right away. Failure to be totally honest could lead to any subsequent convictions being overturned, yourself, being held in "Contempt Of Court" and could result in a hefty fine and Civil Claims from any Defendant which you helped to convict.

Jim.

SecretGarden Dec 12th 2007 12:11 am

Anabella,
Like I said before, there should be a part of the form that you send back, explaining if you need to be excused. You do, so fill it out and say why.

~SG

dbj1000 Dec 12th 2007 12:13 am

Originally Posted by SecretGarden (Post 5658467)
Anabella,
Like I said before, there should be a part of the form that you send back, explaining if you need to be excused. You do, so fill it out and say why.

~SG

But she would "really like to do it"! :ohmy:

anabella Dec 12th 2007 12:13 am

Originally Posted by SecretGarden (Post 5658456)
Simply fill in that section and explain that you are not a US citizen (are you a permanent resident, or have you filed application to be one?).

They get the names for jury summonses from drivers' license bureaus.

Having been a foreman on a jury once, it really is pretty cool. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

~SecretGarden

I guess I'll just have to hope that I get selected again if I become a citizen eventually.. I think I'm a conditional resident :unsure:

Jerseygirl Dec 12th 2007 12:16 am

My husband received a jury summons within days of becoming a USC.

SecretGarden Dec 12th 2007 12:16 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 5658474)
But she would "really like to do it"! :ohmy:

Well, I know. But as we have said on this thread, from a legal and immigration standpoint, she can't.

On a (kind of) related note:

When my husband went for his adjustment of status interview, the DAO asked if he had ever registered to vote. He, of course, said "no.....of course not.......I'd have to be a citizen to do that". Our DAO was NOT a nice friendly person. She was colder than a witch's tit. Anyway, she said, "GOOD! Because THAT would have been a deportable offense. And these people (holding up a stack of files) have misrepresented themselves as US citizens and will be sent back home."

So, Anabella, fill in the form and indicate you are ineligible. ok?

~SG

Thydney Dec 12th 2007 12:19 am

Originally Posted by SecretGarden (Post 5658456)

~SecretGarden

having sat through a few trials you have got to be kidding:confused:

Moonshadow_Girl Dec 12th 2007 12:20 am

As someone who does work for the criminal legal system, I would say absolutely say do not serve. Any trial that you are put on, the verdict can be thrown out, set aside, or appealed based on you. It doesn't matter if the the trial is civil or criminal. When you first appear for jury duty (that is, if you do show up as opposed to checking "non citizen" on the summons), you'll be asked to fill out a questionnaire. On that questionnaire, it specifically asks if you are a citizen. If you circle "yes", and sign at the bottom under penalty of perjury, you will be liable to be charged criminally.

To observe the court process, the next best option is to observe a court trial. In most cases, the trials are open to the public.

anabella Dec 12th 2007 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5658459)
After reading this story in our local paper this week I would not chance it.

Granted you are not going to vote but.............

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/147473.html

That happened to me too, kind of.. When I took my test I was asked if I'd like to register to vote so I said yes and then I was told that I wasn't allowed to :confused:.. but she had just asked me if I wanted to register so I figured that I was allowed to vote or they wouldn't ask me!! :mad: This was when I took the written test.. when I took the driving one they asked me again! :frown: That time I was the one telling them that I would love to vote but I wasn't allowed to apparently.. Bloody useless, I tell ya..

SecretGarden Dec 12th 2007 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5658499)
having sat through a few trials you have got to be kidding:confused:

No, I really enjoyed it. (would have liked it even without being foreman....it wasn't a power trip, or anything).

The case was very sad. An 18 year old high school honor student who lived in his aunt's house, which apparently had unrelated people living there who were drug addicts and sellers. LOTS of crack cocaine was found on top of his school books, in his room. The books had his name in them.

It was so not good. :(
~SG

Bluegrass Lass Dec 12th 2007 12:24 am

I've gotten out of 3 jury summons- 2 because I was still in school and the 3rd because I moved to another state. It's supposed to be completely random, so I don't understand why I've been selected for the 'privilege' 3 friggin times. I never want to participate in jury duty. I'd be the juror falling asleep and snoring in the courtroom. Guess that's just about the only citizen's right I'd rather just opt out of completely.