Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Joint Accounts

Joint Accounts

Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint Accounts

Originally Posted by snowbunny
http://www.visalaw.com/96apr/4apr96.html

There is no minimum residency requirement. "Psychological abuse" is mentioned, though not well defined. Proof that returning to the person's native country would result in "extreme hardship" is required. I don't know that a return to the UK would result in "extreme hardship."
A VAWA will not get you citizenship ...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:52 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
A VAWA will not get you citizenship ...
But it could get one permanent residency.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
But it could get one permanent residency.
She already has a GC due any day .......
if she gets divorced ..she can apply for the removal of condition immediately after ...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:34 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ray
She already has a GC due any day .......
if she gets divorced ..she can apply for the removal of condition immediately after ...
And then would it be a 3 year or 5 year wait? Since its a 5 year wait for a non-marriage GC.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:40 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by ImHere
And then would it be a 3 year or 5 year wait? Since its a 5 year wait for a non-marriage GC.
It would be the 5 years
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:45 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ray
It would be the 5 years
Ah. Thats what I thought. Still better that than put up with that jerk I would have thought.

Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:10 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well from what I've seen of Sibsie (virtually speaking of course), she's a strong character and I think she'll sort it. Bullying only works if the victim is prepared to be a victim, and I don't think Sibsie's that sort of person at all.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

She needs to be back to the bossom of her family, safe and away from boiling rabbits bloke...
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:29 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Sibsie, just wanted to add my best wishes whatever happens. My husband and I have a joint account and always have, but it was a mutual decision. However, over the past few years I've inherited some money and my husband always insisted that it should be in my name only. I think you need to go with your gut feeling -- if it doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't. None of us (I don't think!) know your husband, so you alone are in the position to know if what he's asking is unreasonable. I wish you good luck and hope things work out for you the way you want.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Um she can't unless she's been permanent resident through marriage for 3 years or more.
oh right... well hopefully being a british citizen will not diminish rights in case
of divorce here. with inheritance it may be another matter. my understanding is in case the guy dies that is.. in the absence of a will the wife gets it all, if they are a US citizen...but otherwise???
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Also, looking at the town on Google and the fact that hubby and the inlaws are presumably well entrenched in the local social scene, would seek an attorney away from the immediate area.

Also, make sure you clear the cache regularly on your computer. This is as good a program as any to do it: http://www.ccleaner.com/
for sure it's a tight little island we have here...
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I get the feeling from her posts that right now London is where she really wants to be, without some power crazed loon insisting the towels are folded just so.... Screw it Im mad now thinking about it...lets have an ex-pats trip to Rockport and square a few things with this dude.
It pisses me off too. But, she is a survivor and she's already making her plans. I can see her processes and I recognize them very well.

The thought..... the word.... the deed....

It takes a while to even realize what's going on. Once you firmly recognize the problem you start doing a sort of mental and emotional inventory. What you need to hold on to and what to let go of, so to speak (and I'm not just talking about material possessions here). Sibsie has started talking about it now, that means she halfway there.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
It pisses me off too. But, she is a survivor and she's already making her plans. I can see her processes and I recognize them very well.

It takes a while to even realize what's going on. Once you firmly recognize the problem you start doing a sort of mental and emotional inventory. What you need to hold on to and what to let go of, so to speak (and I'm not just talking about material possessions here). Sibsie has started talking about it now, that means she halfway there.
Very true ... in such situations, material possessions are not the only consideration. I know from experience that it can take a while to fully realize what is happening in this kind of situation, and that once you do realize, it is better to take time to plan what you need to do, rather than act in haste.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 5:31 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Leslie66

Aye. I have been on more than one job in the past where we helped a woman (and in one instance a bloke) get away from a violent relationship. They had to make the moves, legally all we could do was give support and prevent any more domestic violence occuring, especially if there were kids involved. Some of the bravest people I've had the honour to help were those that had the guts and determination to get out of a nasty and potentially violent relationship. It takes one hell of a strong will I would imagine. I hope theres no violence here for sibsies sake, but it still aint easy to throw it all in on a relationship, no matter how bad it is. This is when she needs real friends.

Old Aug 11th 2005, 6:42 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

So whats yours is his and whats his is his own. Yeah right.

Protect yourself sibs put your savings in your families name....

alan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.