Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Joint Accounts

Joint Accounts

Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint Accounts

Originally Posted by Lottie
Thought she would only need his SSN....
If it's a community property state, she is jointly liable for his debt. She is entitled to a joint credit report. She needs to find out where she stands legally -- ergo accountant or lawyer.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Think she meant both your credit reports. There is no such thing as a joint one.
Yes. I would get one, Sibsie, over the Internet. You need only his SSN.

I've checked and Maine is NOT a community property state. This means two things: he doesn't have to be as anal as he's being over his "separate property" (meaning: he is being very controlling and abusive) BUT you are not responsible for debt incurred in his name.

IF, however, there is debt incurred in both of your names, then you are responsible. Your own credit report should tell you whether you are a co-obligee on the debt. However, was it me, I'd get his. DOB, SSN, name, address....

One warning, though: if he were to look at his report later, it would show the date that "he" (you) accessed it. The same holds for you though: if you get your own, then if he's checked up on you, it will show.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yes. I would get one, Sibsie, over the Internet. You need only his SSN.

I've checked and Maine is NOT a community property state. This means two things: he doesn't have to be as anal as he's being over his "separate property" (meaning: he is being very controlling and abusive) BUT you are not responsible for debt incurred in his name.

IF, however, there is debt incurred in both of your names, then you are responsible. Your own credit report should tell you whether you are a co-obligee on the debt. However, was it me, I'd get his. DOB, SSN, name, address....

One warning, though: if he were to look at his report later, it would show the date that "he" (you) accessed it. The same holds for you though: if you get your own, then if he's checked up on you, it will show.
She's not in Maine.

Maine = ME

Massachusettes = MA
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Community property states are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin. In Alaska, spouses can sign an agreement making specific assets community property.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:14 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sibsie, when someone (him) is in an irrational state, there are no "good arguments". Answer one thing, and they will just change the terms of the argument on you. Believe me, I know whereof I speak.

With your level of doubt about the viability of your marriage - and with very good reason from what you've said - a) don't give him your money and b) prepare your exit plan in case you need one in a hurry.

If you want to talk it out - well here we all are. The man definitely sounds as though he has some sort of severe psychological issue. This is a)not your fault b)not your responsibility and c) is something you need to protect yourself from.

Sounds so easy when I say it like that, doesn't it. I know it isn't, believe me.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
http://www.ocfoundation.org/ocf1010a.htm

Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:16 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Leslie66
She's not in Maine.

Maine = ME

Massachusettes = MA
Sorry -- brain fart.

All of the community property states are west of the Mississippi save Wisconsin.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sibsie
The lease was in my name alone when we were renting and the plan was that we buy the place we were in at the time. He was chipping in with bills (electricity etc.,) Halfway through sorting it all out and when the lease was coming to an end, he decided that we had to move back to his place at the farm. When I moved out here it was on the understanding that we get a place of our own and not be living in the basement with the MIL upstairs.

Anyway, thanks for the support everyone. I'm sure I'll get it sorted out with my ideal being that I manage to fix something up when I go back to London for a visit next month.
become a US citizen... NOW!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:39 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by silvermine
become a US citizen... NOW!
Um she can't unless she's been permanent resident through marriage for 3 years or more.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:41 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Um she can't unless she's been permanent resident through marriage for 3 years or more.
Besides, who says she even wants to?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sibsie

Been away and have just read through this string . Yours is a dreadful situation and I do sympathise fully. I can't add anything better than has already been said by the great folk on this forum, but just want to add my wishes that you will be able to work things out in the best way for YOU!
I think you're doing exactly the right thing in planning to go - I hope you do it sooner rather than later.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:00 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Besides, who says she even wants to?
I get the feeling from her posts that right now London is where she really wants to be, without some power crazed loon insisting the towels are folded just so.... Screw it Im mad now thinking about it...lets have an ex-pats trip to Rockport and square a few things with this dude.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:31 pm
Lapine Member

I get the feeling from her posts that right now London is where she really wants to be, without some power crazed loon insisting the towels are folded just so.... Screw it Im mad now thinking about it...lets have an ex-pats trip to Rockport and square a few things with this dude.
I'm sure I-95 would get you pretty close.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The whole situation just saddens me ......
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:39 pm
Lapine Member

http://www.visalaw.com/96apr/4apr96.html

There is no minimum residency requirement. "Psychological abuse" is mentioned, though not well defined. Proof that returning to the person's native country would result in "extreme hardship" is required. I don't know that a return to the UK would result in "extreme hardship."
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:40 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Ray
The whole situation just saddens me ......
Especially when the woman has no money and no other place to "return to."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.