Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Joint Accounts

Joint Accounts

Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:47 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Joint Accounts

Mr Sibsie and I are having this "thing" over joint accounts. At the moment our finances are separate. I have a monthly income which goes into my account and his salary goes into his. We don't have a mortgage for me to contribute as the house is his outright and in some trust thing in his name alone.

I have some savings in Euros which Mr Sibsie wants to put into a joint $ account but I'm for various reasons, I'm not keen on bringing it over here. I have no prob in making him a beneficiary on my accounts but he's adamant that my money has to be in joint names. Suffice to say it's causing some tension! :scared:

Do you all bother with joint accounts for everything?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:56 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joint Accounts

Originally Posted by sibsie
Do you all bother with joint accounts for everything?
Hell no

The only thing in joint names are life insurance, health insurance, motor insurance and the telephone account.

At the end of the day, what difference does it make?? It may help USCIS when it comes to proving you live together but it's not that important.

If both of you are working, I don't see what the problem is.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:58 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
At the end of the day, what difference does it make??
That was my argument. The house is his and will stay that way. The boat is his and will stay that way but he's saying that I put my money into joint names or I go **** myself!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:02 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

That was my argument. The house is his and will stay that way. The boat is his and will stay that way but he's saying that I put my money into joint names or I go **** myself!

Hmmm....then I would suggest you do just that.

Sounds to me like someone is after a bit of extra cash. If it's put like that, I wouldn't do it as you may end up paying for someone else's spending habits.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:04 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have joint checking, mortgage, pretty much everything apart from my rainy day account which hubbie is not aware of.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:04 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
We have joint checking, mortgage, pretty much everything apart from my rainy day account which hubbie is not aware of.
He is now
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:07 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
He is now

Hubbie not computer savvy, although daughter is teaching him, so for now rainy day account is still secret
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:12 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Is he willing to dissolve both of your individual accounts and open up one joint account, with both of your salaries paid into it, or does he want just your savings in the joint account?

If the latter, I'd present him with a ten foot barge pole and tell him precisely what he can do with it.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:13 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

*cough*

How much is that little nugget of information worth to you?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:14 pm
Open All Hours!

Originally Posted by Wintersong
If the latter, I'd present him with a ten foot barge pole and tell him precisely what he can do with it.

Isn't that how you got pregnant
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:14 pm
Open All Hours!

*cough*

How much is that little nugget of information worth to you?

Babysitting Services for free
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:17 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Isn't that how you got pregnant
It's a bit difficult to get pregnant by being shafted up the rear with a 10 foot pole, but the similarities between it and my husband's anatomy are striking, I'll admit.

I'm just interested in how you know about it...
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:18 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Babysitting Services for free
Ok, you've bought my silence
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:19 pm
Open All Hours!

It's a bit difficult to get pregnant by being shafted up the rear with a 10 foot pole, but the similarities between it and my husband's anatomy are striking, I'll admit.

I'm just interested in how you know about it...
Well......................not to change the subject but I got a new cell phone. Didn't get your voicemail until yesterday on the old one!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:20 pm
C.G.D.S

Is he willing to dissolve both of your individual accounts and open up one joint account, with both of your salaries paid into it, or does he want just your savings in the joint account?
He wants the house to stay in his name along with all his assets. He said if I bring my money over then we have have a joint current account which I'm not especially keen on as he's a bit of a control freak. Things aren't especially fantastic so I want my money as emergency exit money if needs be. He reckons we don't have a "proper" marriage until I've done it so I'm under quite a bit of pressure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.