Job title

Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

dannym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job title

thanks for the replies , I have family in the both canada and oz , didn't realise the usa was so hard to get into lol.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me for a minute, I am going to have my 'first' rant on BE.
I have spent the morning (and longer) going through a lot of the old threads, even found a forum I hadn't seen before MBTTUK rovers return. Wow! that was an eye opener! Anyway, I am just gobsmacked by the amount of people that post on here (everywhere) from the UK mostly, thinking that there is some sort of open door with welcoming arms to the US,(other countries too, but mostly the US) not everyone obviously, I know some go through the loooooong process with visas etc and realise that it's not an instant/easy process. But, I am reading lots of posts along the same line, (similar to OP), "I have a job", "where should I move too", "Do I need a visa?". I can understand, to a certain extent, that some people think that life in the US would be preferable to living in the UK, I also think that most of them have not done any research to back up that thought, I have family members that have wanted to move here for years, I try to give them a truthful unbiased account of what to expect in the application process, tell them that things are not going to be easy for them here, that they may just be better off staying where they are, with the 'devil they know' etc. With the exception of my Sister, I think they 'get it' and either try to work towards getting here (eventually) or they will do the research and end up getting a dose of reality and see that it's not an option for them.
I guess really, I am just wondering why they would think that just because the UK is going thru tough times, or maybe they are worried about job security or fed up of the grey rainy weather, or whatever, that they think the US would want/need them and just open the door, without them putting in any effort to get here?
Ok Rant over

PS, this is in no way meant to be a generalisation, don't want to offend anyone that is working hard and taking the process seriously, I'm referring to the ones in la la land that have no idea what they are thinking!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Excuse me for a minute, I am going to have my 'first' rant on BE.
I have spent the morning (and longer) going through a lot of the old threads, even found a forum I hadn't seen before MBTTUK rovers return. Wow! that was an eye opener! Anyway, I am just gobsmacked by the amount of people that post on here (everywhere) from the UK mostly, thinking that there is some sort of open door with welcoming arms to the US
You mean like this?

That ad ith the governator

sorry if this has come up before - what us this ad all about - moving to california and working there or holidaying there? am confused..as i thought it was quite hard for brits to get in to the states....

Or this one, from two days later?

Governor of California is calling, should I answer?

I still nearly wet myself every time that ad airs....
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You mean like this?

That ad ith the governator

sorry if this has come up before - what us this ad all about - moving to california and working there or holidaying there? am confused..as i thought it was quite hard for brits to get in to the states....

Or this one, from two days later?

Governor of California is calling, should I answer?

I still nearly wet myself every time that ad airs....

LOL Yup!! I am still catching up on some of the 'other' threads, I am either laughing my a** off, having to read them three or four times, to make sure I read it right, or I am throwing things at my computer screen!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
LOL Yup!! I am still catching up on some of the 'other' threads, I am either laughing my a** off, having to read them three or four times, to make sure I read it right, or I am throwing things at my computer screen!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545428

Some doozies in there, Guinevere for starters!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:23 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well in defense of the the expats, my ex hubby decided that he was going to travel around Europe and work his way around each country, to keep the trip funded and swore blind they would let him into each county without a visa , because he was an American and apparently the world is open to US Citizens...........
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545428

Some doozies in there, Guinevere for starters!
Yes,I agree, the guinevere one is priceless!! LOL. what a great idea for a thread that is, 'old threads that made you laugh' it will probably take me the rest of the week to go through all those, thank you :-)
Love the 'leslie' thread too, the tanning salon!!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Well in defense of the the expats, my ex hubby decided that he was going to travel around Europe and work his way around each country, to keep the trip funded and swore blind they would let him into each county without a visa , because he was an American and apparently the world is open to US Citizens...........

well, at least he is now an 'ex' :-)
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a look through these threads, and im amazed by some of it!