Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Self Assessment Returns

UK Self Assessment Returns

Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK Self Assessment Returns

I'm in a bind.
I requested an online ID for doing the UK tax return. This came eventually but you have to use it within 28 days to activate. I received it on day 29!
I have since had a notice of no filing. Which I can appeal withing 30 days of the date of the notice. You guessed it. They'd practically elapsed and I have no way of getting a written appeal in on time.

That aside is online filing my only route or do people use other methods.
I have zero UK income so it's all a load of effort for nothing at the end of the day so makes it doubly annoying.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:19 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Self Assessment Returns

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
I'm in a bind.
I requested an online ID for doing the UK tax return. This came eventually but you have to use it within 28 days to activate. I received it on day 29!
I have since had a notice of no filing. Which I can appeal withing 30 days of the date of the notice. You guessed it. They'd practically elapsed and I have no way of getting a written appeal in on time.

That aside is online filing my only route or do people use other methods.
I have zero UK income so it's all a load of effort for nothing at the end of the day so makes it doubly annoying.
How long have you been out of the UK?

I'm just not clear on why you're filing a UK return at all if you have no UK income, I guess...
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Because 'The Man' says I must!
I arrived here Nov 07 and I've sent in a Form R85 and did a what I thought would be a final return for tax year 07/08 (which had nothing because I'd basically stopped working in the UK)

I can do without a £100 fine plus any other extras they try to throw in.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:30 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Because 'The Man' says I must!
I arrived here Nov 07 and I've sent in a Form R85 and did a what I thought would be a final return for tax year 07/08 (which had nothing because I'd basically stopped working in the UK)

I can do without a £100 fine plus any other extras they try to throw in.
They're complete arseholes, aren't they? They did the same to me on my second year here, and I ended up being charged the #100 fine. I had to appeal after the event (which I suspect will happen to you too) to get it back. Pointed out, like you just did, that I did everything right, and wasn't living in the UK, and had damned well told them that when I left, and they could f**k off and leave me alone (or words to that effect). Got the #100 back in the end.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I agree with dbj1000 that you should be able to tell them to ***** off.

It's been a few years now, but I found that calling my tax office resulted in getting through to a competent person who could sort things out straight away - in contrast to the experience in contacting almost any other organisation with a call centre. This might no longer be the case.

If you get no joy with your tax office, I'd suggest contacting HMRC residency who have been extremely helpful whenever I've had expat tax questions:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/email.htm
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:02 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rew1000
I agree with dbj1000 that you should be able to tell them to ***** off.

It's been a few years now, but I found that calling my tax office resulted in getting through to a competent person who could sort things out straight away - in contrast to the experience in contacting almost any other organisation with a call centre. This might no longer be the case.

If you get no joy with your tax office, I'd suggest contacting HMRC residency who have been extremely helpful whenever I've had expat tax questions:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/email.htm
Re: the fine - they told me that when I file my nil return, the fine will automatically go away as it is limited to the amount of tax due.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I had similar situation when I was living in Bermuda, I twice had to apply for the pin code as it had expired before it reached me.

You are also right, if the tax bods say you have to do a tax return then you have to. Income or no income, stupid isn't it. I don't think there is any way to do a paper return at this point for 2007/2008, but perhaps you could write and tell them the situation.

My husband sent his paper return in May last year, they sat on it for over seven months, then sent it him back said he was missing the residency status form and if he did not respond within 7 days he would be fined £100. His was a nil return as well. The letter seemed to do the trick.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

richardson is an unknown quantity at this point

you can download an 07/08 tax return from the HMRC website and mail it to the tax office and if there is no tax liability the £100 penalty will be cancelled if you do not complete a return they raise determinations and then can send the debt on to the country of your residence for collection
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all. I think downloading the form and sending it is probably the best solution rather than going for the rigmarole of the PIN again.

CHeers