Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer - opinions please!!

Job offer - opinions please!!

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:52 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer - opinions please!!

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
The job is permanent. No vacation/sick days for the first year and then 10 days vacation OR sick days thereafter. No healthcare for the first 3 months. No 401K plan at all exists within the company for any employees (or so they say!)

No mention either of public holidays but to be fair I haven't questioned them on that yet.
You could try to negotiate. Personally I wouldn't take it, the offer is too far from what I would want & I don't think they'd offer what I wanted based on what they've already offered you, but that's just me.

If you decide to take it, keep looking around, although bare in mind that you won't have much time to go to interviews.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:55 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
The job is permanent. No vacation/sick days for the first year and then 10 days vacation OR sick days thereafter. No healthcare for the first 3 months. No 401K plan at all exists within the company for any employees (or so they say!)

No mention either of public holidays but to be fair I haven't questioned them on that yet.
No vacation for the first year isn't unusual. Ten days of vacation that includes sick days is skimpy. No healthcare for the first 3 months is standard. No 401K? Open your own Roth IRA.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
The Cons are pretty much the standard in US Travel Companies
Thanks Jim. That thought did cross my mind, I know that even in the UK the travel industry has a reputation of being not so good to its staff, although there it's more in terms of salary! 5 days holiday I could just about live with initially, but none just seems a bit extreme even for the US

I'm not particulary bothered about what industry I work in here. I had moved into a the agency side before leaving the UK. Just a co-incidence that this job is back to travel (although a good one!)

I understand what you are saying about making contacts, but unfortunetly this company doesn't really deal with the North American market more Europe and Asia so my contacts won't be in the right place!