Introduction and a few questions

Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:39 am
US Citizen / UK Citizen

ScottUK1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction and a few questions

Originally Posted by hotscot
Oh...so you're doing it the hard way
Good luck!

Incidentally...what sort of jobs does someone with your qualification do? Is there any demand for it either in the UK or the US? (Check Indeed.com to get an idea.)

One of the concerns will be if you're doing a further degree there will be fresher. younger people leaving education and entering the workforce, chasing the same jobs.
I'm in high tech...I rarely see companies looking for graduate degrees to fill a role unless it's as a research person but I'm very curious as to what you'd like your career path to be and I realize that for your specific career intentions a graduate degree may indeed be beneficial.
Job wise it'd be to work as a strength and conditioning coach at high school/college/private or professional level, injury rehab, personal training, or teaching (if you have relevant qualifications allowing it). There's more demand in the US than in the UK due to the amount of sport - UK is saturated now and jobs advertise wanting masters, several vocational qualifications and multiple years of experience to even be considered, and that's just for an unpaid internship !
Additionally as the US doesn't have the undergraduate version of the degree I'm doing, when applying for an entry level position I'm slightly ahead of the game with a specific degree and 7+ years of experience.

Not saying any of this necessarily helps me get a job out there, I still think continuing education is my best bet (bar marriage).
Fortunately the industry places a big emphasis on experience (and having good contacts), therefore a fresh graduate would be in a worse position than I'd be if I went and did another degree now.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

To teach anything in the public school system, in any state, you will have to have a recognized degree, and a teaching credential in that state ( typically a certificate). Your degree doesn't exist in the USA (as you stated earlier) so I think you will run into a problem obtaining a teaching certificate without further education in which ever state you chose to live. You will need a Doctorate of Physical Therapy (PT) to enter the field as a "professional" Physical Therapist. As a side note, the field is quite saturated now, but as the US is a huge place, supply and demand varies across both state, county & city/town boundaries. The field of rehabilitation in the US has very specific degrees, without exception. Having said that, there are instances in some states where certain professional boundaries are being encroached upon by other disciplines; Athletic Trainers and Massage Therapists encroaching on PT, so it's not outside the realm of possibility to enter one of these fields with your background/experience, but again, I feel certain you will have to take further courses to obtain certification and/or licensure in your chosen state. Good luck with your plans!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990
Job wise it'd be to work as a strength and conditioning coach at high school/college/private or professional level, injury rehab, personal training, or teaching (if you have relevant qualifications allowing it). There's more demand in the US than in the UK due to the amount of sport - UK is saturated now and jobs advertise wanting masters, several vocational qualifications and multiple years of experience to even be considered, and that's just for an unpaid internship !
Additionally as the US doesn't have the undergraduate version of the degree I'm doing, when applying for an entry level position I'm slightly ahead of the game with a specific degree and 7+ years of experience.

Not saying any of this necessarily helps me get a job out there, I still think continuing education is my best bet (bar marriage).
Fortunately the industry places a big emphasis on experience (and having good contacts), therefore a fresh graduate would be in a worse position than I'd be if I went and did another degree now.
Hmmm, there may not be a degree in the US with the exact same name as yours, but there are dozens of kinesiology programs in the US that include a considerable strength and conditioning component. From experience I'd say at least a third of kinesiology undergrads in the US are pursuing, or already in, a career in strength and conditioining.