British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Introduction and a few questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/introduction-few-questions-822070/)

ScottUK1990 Jan 17th 2014 5:25 pm

Introduction and a few questions

Hi to all,

I've been browsing the posts on here for a while so figured I'd introduce myself.
I'm here as (like about a thousand others on the forum) I'm trying to get over to the USA to work/live as soon as possible, something I've wanted to do for a long time and become certain of having seen more and more of the country and made a lot of friends over there.
I'm about to graduate university in London with a BSc (hons.) in strength and conditioning science, having studied one semester of the degree in the US at DeSales University (PA) on an F-1 visa and had internships at a D1 university (Lehigh) and a D3 university (DeSales).
Whilst over there I met my current girlfriend (of now over a year - mostly long distance with several visits).

I'm currently considering my options (marriage isn't on the cards at this stage) in getting over, and have come up with;
A) finding a full time job for a H1-B which is obviously semi-impossible,
B) an internship that gives a stipend (enough to survive on) and potentially a job after (I assume a J1 visa?),
and C) starting a graduate programme over there (seems the simplest option and having studied there already have plenty of contacts and have technically graduated from a US institution -who have asked me if I'd like to pursue one of their graduate degrees).

One question I have is that my F1 visa (meant to expire after the course I was on finished in 2012) says it is still valid until 2017, does this mean I would only need a new I-20 to start another degree? Also does already having a visa speed up the process of getting another i.e. H1-B, J-1 etc?

Thank you for reading if you got this far and if anyone is thinking about studying abroad or has any questions regarding the F1 visa just let me know.

Scott

Noorah101 Jan 17th 2014 6:32 pm

Re: Introduction and a few questions

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 11083589)
Also does already having a visa speed up the process of getting another i.e. H1-B, J-1 etc?

No.

Sorry can't help with the other questions, except to say that as a recent graduate, the H1B isn't likely.

Rene

ScottUK1990 Jan 17th 2014 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11083736)
No.

Sorry can't help with the other questions, except to say that as a recent graduate, the H1B isn't likely.

Rene

Thanks for the reply Rene :)
I'm aware that its highly unlikely I'd get an H1B, the only thing I have on my side is that for the industry I'm in I have a considerable amount of experience (along with a specific degree that doesn't exist in the US) that the majority of recent graduates in the US wouldn't have (due to me being slightly older than most). However, as you say, it's unlikely, hence why I'm looking at other options such as graduate programmes and internships :fingerscrossed:

AdobePinon Jan 17th 2014 7:19 pm

One question I have is that my F1 visa (meant to expire after the course I was on finished in 2012) says it is still valid until 2017, does this mean I would only need a new I-20 to start another degree?

Potentially, but I think there is a time limit within which the "transfer" must happen. You've probably exceeded that. Issuing an F-1 for 5 years is standard practice.

Also does already having a visa speed up the process of getting another i.e. H1-B, J-1 etc?

Nah, other than that you have some idea what you're dealing with.

Getting another degree is a good option - if you can afford it. Depending on the college and subject, it can range from free to super expensive. Changing subject between first degree and higher degrees is very common in the US, so you may have options. You probably know that, from an immigration POV, studying buys you time but doesn't actually by itself set the wheels in motion for something more permanent. You might not want to get married now, but you should probably consider that your 'get out of jail free(ish)' card for later on if you run out of other paths to follow.

Edit: Should add that working for an appreciable amount of cash is not usually an option under F-1 status.

ScottUK1990 Jan 17th 2014 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 11083809)
Potentially, but I think there is a time limit within which the "transfer" must happen. You've probably exceeded that. Issuing an F-1 for 5 years is standard practice.

Nah, other than that you have some idea what you're dealing with.

Getting another degree is a good option - if you can afford it. Depending on the college and subject, it can range from free to super expensive. Changing subject between first degree and higher degrees is very common in the US, so you may have options. You probably know that, from an immigration POV, studying buys you time but doesn't actually by itself set the wheels in motion for something more permanent. You might not want to get married now, but you should probably consider that your 'get out of jail free(isn)' card for later on if you run out of other paths to follow.

Absolutely, I've spoken to the university I previously studied at and we're looking into funding options (a three year physical therapy course), whether I qualify for a scholarship (be it academic, sport or international student) or if I can work as a graduate assistant or a similar role at the university in order to reduce (or potentially waive) tuition. It can definitely be an expensive option but it sounds like the better route - and something I'd like to do as opposed to just a entry method to the country.
And yeah, given two or three years it's possible that it might be an option, as my girlfriend is a big reason for me going out there (amongst others).

Thanks for the advice!

ScottUK1990 Jan 17th 2014 7:28 pm

Edit: Should add that working for an appreciable amount of cash is not usually an option under F-1 status.
Yeah, I think I'd have to have a J-1 if it was for an internship that gave a stipend (but was still under the minimum wage for the state I was in).

civilservant Jan 17th 2014 7:48 pm

Get married. By far the quickest and cheapest way to Permenant Residence.

Guindalf Jan 17th 2014 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11083851)
Get married to a US Citizen. By far the quickest and cheapest way to Permenant Residence.

FIFY

ScottUK1990 Jan 17th 2014 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11083892)
FIFY

FIFY??

And yes my girlfriend is a US citizen

Noorah101 Jan 17th 2014 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 11083895)
FIFY??

This acronym always throws me off, too. Stands for "Fixed It For You".

Rene

ScottUK1990 Jan 17th 2014 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11083909)
This acronym always throws me off, too. Stands for "Fixed It For You".

Rene

Gotcha, thanks!

Hotscot Jan 17th 2014 8:33 pm

If you're not sure she's the one then don't get married.

If you are both very sure then do it, go for it, your life will become all the richer for it.
You can obtain USC and she can obtain UKC then most of the world is your oyster and you can have a wonderful adventure with a loving partner in crime.

ScottUK1990 Jan 17th 2014 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 11083931)
If you're not sure she's the one then don't get married.

If you are both very sure then do it, go for it, your life will become all the richer for it.
You can obtain USC and she can obtain UKC then most of the world is your oyster and you can have a wonderful adventure with a loving partner in crime.

It's not something I'm thinking of currently (only just over a year together). I'm looking down the graduate school route for now (and job searching but not with high hopes).

Hotscot Jan 17th 2014 9:10 pm

Oh...so you're doing it the hard way:)
Good luck!

Incidentally...what sort of jobs does someone with your qualification do? Is there any demand for it either in the UK or the US? (Check Indeed.com to get an idea.)

One of the concerns will be if you're doing a further degree there will be fresher. younger people leaving education and entering the workforce, chasing the same jobs.
I'm in high tech...I rarely see companies looking for graduate degrees to fill a role unless it's as a research person but I'm very curious as to what you'd like your career path to be and I realize that for your specific career intentions a graduate degree may indeed be beneficial.

notshipman Jan 18th 2014 5:24 pm

to put the whole thing in perspective over 50% of the h1 quota is taken up by ONE indian IT company that sponsors a bucket load of tech guys to come from India.

That just shows what you are up against sadly.