Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which Insurance Honours U.K. No Claim Bonus

Which Insurance Honours U.K. No Claim Bonus

Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Insurance Honours U.K. No Claim Bonus

Logic and Insurance should never appear in the same sentance.

US industry is heavily regulated, any rating factors have to be actuarially justified.

Credit is a good guide, people who look after there credit tend to look after the vehicles and driving. It is not a main factor, I have met at least one underwriter who believes it should be.

NCB is probably the most illogical significant factor. The UK Industry would love to get away from it, but they are hoisted by their own petard.

Marsh and Aon are of course both US based mutinationals, Zurich have a good guide on international insurance regs and requirements.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Didn't some people have some luck with that with AIG International (or something like that)? You might want to search old posts. We are with AIG Direct incidentally who seem to give the best deal for us more mature 'new drivers' with poor credit, a $200 saving just on 6 months over our Progressive policy.
Just have to make sure membership costs are taken into account on the savings...but well worth it for many it seems that take out house insurance too.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phychlone
Lunacy Why would having a poor credit rating affect how likely you are to have an accident? Surely the car make/model and the drivers history/age/experience are what counts? I'm not having a go, but as a UK Insurance broker it seems really odd, as car insurance is primarily about assessing the likelyhood of you crashing and costing the company money and haing a good credit score isn't going to reduce the risk of a speed hungry kid wrapping his car around a lampost.

I'm really interested know how the US Insurance industry works, I know that makes me seem really boring but I have built a career out of it
everything involves credit history...and they are evil over here, the whole thing makes no sense, it's complete arse.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just have to make sure membership costs are taken into account on the savings...but well worth it for many it seems that take out house insurance too.
What membership costs?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

What membership costs?
AIG international thingy....could be thinking of something else though.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
NCB is probably the most illogical significant factor. The UK Industry would love to get away from it, but they are hoisted by their own petard.
Why do you think its illogical? No prangs = no claims for the x amount of years you've had the policy, hence no payout by the insurance company. Now I understand that theoretically one might say the chances of having an accident every year are always the same, however, I'd certainly rather insure someone with a clean record as opposed to someone who wraps their car around a tree every other week.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
Why do you think its illogical? No prangs = no claims for the x amount of years you've had the policy, hence no payout by the insurance company. Now I understand that theoretically one might say the chances of having an accident every year are always the same, however, I'd certainly rather insure someone with a clean record as opposed to someone who wraps their car around a tree every other week.
I am not sure where to start on this, could be a thesis.

But basic principals of insurance require a premium contribution comensurate with the risk that you are contributing.

There is certainly a case for acknowledging past experiance, but 65% whatever is over egging it.

Then you also get into the protected bonus etc.

My past exeriance was more with fleets, there experiance is king, but of course you are on much more solid ground.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
AIG international thingy....could be thinking of something else though.
Actually we had an AIG International thing set up when we moved over all paid for by the company (about the only thing they paid for!). We're actually looking at AIG Direct which is technically a different company I believe...
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Actually we had an AIG International thing set up when we moved over all paid for by the company (about the only thing they paid for!). We're actually looking at AIG Direct which is technically a different company I believe...
yup, they all have different groups to cover certain things, and certain states, makes it that much harder to figure the whole thing out