British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Immigration change (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/immigration-change-901071/)

leepne Aug 2nd 2017 3:47 pm

Immigration change

President Trump and two GOP senators are announcing a new plan to drastically cut legal immigration into the United States.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPoli...0618481636302/

Currently live, but will show full video when finished.

boltonreddave Aug 2nd 2017 8:09 pm

Re: Immigration change

Currently 18 months in on L1A and L2. I'll be asking the wife to have that GC chat soon! While not worried about qualifying, who knows when this will start and what disruption it will cause

albanks2542 Aug 2nd 2017 8:22 pm

They should get rid of the diversity lottery. You shouldn't be able to win a life in another country in a lottery draw. And they should axe the family based visas. They are a joke. Aren't their people been waiting 20 years to get their family visas. I am surprised Trump isn't proposing polygraphing for marriage fraud and repealing immigration through same sex marriage to be prevent sham marriage on the part of females.

StuBear65 Aug 2nd 2017 8:23 pm

Some interesting figures quoted, I wonder where they were plucked from?

Pollyana Aug 2nd 2017 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12307971)
They should get rid of the diversity lottery. You shouldn't be able to win a life in another country in a lottery draw. And they should axe the family based visas. They are a joke. Aren't their people been waiting 20 years to get their family visas. I am surprised Trump isn't proposing polygraphing for marriage fraud and repealing immigration through same sex marriage to be prevent sham marriage on the part of females.

Why females? Don't males get involved in sham marriages too?

petitefrancaise Aug 2nd 2017 10:17 pm

plus ca change....

I'm not going to hold my breath. Has Trump actually managed to change anything at all yet?

tom169 Aug 2nd 2017 10:25 pm

Alright, albanks, I've sort of got used to the hot air you spout.

However, this time you have outdone yourself.

I have no clue what correlation you're drawing between same sex marriage, sham marriages and females. :rofl:

Owen778 Aug 2nd 2017 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12308032)
plus ca change....

I'm not going to hold my breath. Has Trump actually managed to change anything at all yet?

That's a little unfair. He's managed to change his Communications Director several times.

petitefrancaise Aug 2nd 2017 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12308041)
That's a little unfair. He's managed to change his Communications Director several times.

:rofl:

do you think he's noticed?

albanks2542 Aug 2nd 2017 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12308039)
Alright, albanks, I've sort of got used to the hot air you spout.

However, this time you have outdone yourself.

I have no clue what correlation you're drawing between same sex marriage, sham marriages and females. :rofl:

How many neurotic american women would engage in sham marriage with none american female friends to keep or get them in the country? I wonder how many times it has happened? I bet it has. And how would you stop it. Polygraph? You polygraph gay marriage you have to got to polygraph straight marriage.

albanks2542 Aug 2nd 2017 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12308031)
Why females? Don't males get involved in sham marriages too?

To other men to get a man into the country? I don't see two guys pronouncing themselves chuck and larry somehow do you?.

Nutmegger Aug 2nd 2017 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308055)
How many neurotic american women would engage in sham marriage with none american female friends to keep or get them in the country? I wonder how many times it has happened? I bet it has. And how would you stop it. Polygraph? You polygraph gay marriage you have to got to polygraph straight marriage.

You must be kidding! Someone who wanted to fly below the radar in a non bona fide marriage would go for a heterosexual union. Same sex marriage is new to immigration and consequently more likely to be scrutinized.

albanks2542 Aug 2nd 2017 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12308064)
You must be kidding! Someone who wanted to fly below the radar in a non bona fide marriage would go for a heterosexual union. Same sex marriage is new to immigration and consequently more likely to be scrutinized.

I can't see them accusing gays of lying without going after straight people in the same vein. I am sure it has happened and with trumps attitudes to women I am surprised he hasn't said something. Maybe going after the gays would be step to far for Trump and he knows it.

Steve_ Aug 2nd 2017 11:26 pm

It's not an immigration "reform" bill, they're lying (for a change).

All it does is repeal the DV lottery and massively tighten the quota for family-based preference categories, and it removes the ability of a US citizen to sponsor in their parents and replaces it with a non-immigrant category for that instead (so the parents could never work or qualify for Medicare). The only positive reform in it is that spouses of LPRs wouldn't have to wait for a visa number.

It doesn't mention employment-based anything at all.

That appears to all be in the realms of regulatory change, which they could do, but without upping the quota for EB categories, it's largely meaningless. You'd still need a job offer from an employer, so adding on other requirements like English language proficiency is window dressing.

What they're really talking about is a huge cut in immigration by making it nearly impossible to immigrate through a preference category. Most immigration would still be via marriage to a US citizen.

Steve_ Aug 2nd 2017 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by boltonreddave (Post 12307957)
Currently 18 months in on L1A and L2. I'll be asking the wife to have that GC chat soon! While not worried about qualifying, who knows when this will start and what disruption it will cause

It will make virtually zero difference to EB categories and it stands zero chance of passing Congress anyway. Already a bunch of Republicans come out against it.

Steve_ Aug 2nd 2017 11:28 pm

This Bill would massively cut the number of visas, so it would make the wait effectively infinite.

Nutmegger Aug 2nd 2017 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308069)
I can't see them accusing gays of lying without going after straight people in the same vein. I am sure it has happened and with trumps attitudes to women I am surprised he hasn't said something. Maybe going after the gays would be step to far for Trump and he knows it.

You are totally missing the point .....

Owen778 Aug 2nd 2017 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12308043)
:rofl:

do you think he's noticed?

I've been assuming that he's that sort of businessman who thinks civil war among his underlyings is just a sign of healthy competition, but I suppose one alternative is that he ignores everything except his twitter account, golf, and practicing awkward handshakes, while the alt-right and Republican establishment fight over who is best able to hide this fact from the electorate.

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2017 12:52 am

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308060)
To other men to get a man into the country? I don't see two guys pronouncing themselves chuck and larry somehow do you?.

Why not? Why should it only be women? WHy not males? Why not straight couples?

You really do spout some rubbish at times :lol::sneaky:

Weeze Aug 3rd 2017 2:21 am

Popped on to see what's been happening on BE. Saw the new guys posts. :whistle:

albanks2542 Aug 3rd 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 12308077)
This Bill would massively cut the number of visas, so it would make the wait effectively infinite.

If they axe the family based visas would all the applications not be moot at that point because persons would no longer be eligible?

albanks2542 Aug 3rd 2017 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12308105)
Why not? Why should it only be women? WHy not males? Why not straight couples?

You really do spout some rubbish at times :lol::sneaky:

None of my sons male friends from his time in new york including one who emails him 5 times a day even after ten years would never have entertained the prospect of marrying him to keep him in the country.

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308328)
None of my sons male friends from his time in new york including one who emails him 5 times a day even after ten years would never have entertained the prospect of marrying him to keep him in the country.

That's a shame, guess he's just not cute enough :lol:

tom169 Aug 3rd 2017 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12308373)

Probably scared off by the father in law.

moneypenny20 Aug 3rd 2017 11:46 am

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308328)

That's one of the weirdest statements I've seen on BE and I've been around for a long long long time!

albanks2542 Aug 3rd 2017 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12308373)

He would no longer be my son now if he did.

moneypenny20 Aug 3rd 2017 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308415)

You're either joking or a completely vile human being.

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2017 12:06 pm

That's such a sad statement. I had forgotten some parents still think in that ridiciulous way.

ian-mstm Aug 3rd 2017 12:25 pm

You sir, are a waste of skin. When you were born, the doctor should have slapped your mum!

Ian

albanks2542 Aug 3rd 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12308423)
That's such a sad statement. I had forgotten some parents still think in that ridiciulous way.

Not wishing for my son to abuse the sacrament of marriage to live in another country and pretend to be gay in the process?

So you would be ok with your son pretending to be gay when he is really straight and entering into a sham marriage with a straight english guy in order to live in London? You could reconcile the abuse of holy matrimony with Christian/Catholic values. Not to mention the laughing stock your son and family would be if it ever came out what he had done and why he had done it.

Nutmegger Aug 3rd 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12308404)
That's one of the weirdest statements I've seen on BE and I've been around for a long long long time!

This whole concept of women marrying other women solely to keep them in the US is the craziest thing I've ever read! What kind of a twisted mind would come up with this stuff???? :eek:

albanks2542 Aug 3rd 2017 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12308431)
You sir, are a waste of skin. When you were born, the doctor should have slapped your mum!

Ian

And how would you feel if your son did that and he wasn't gay but he is pretending to be even if only for a short time.

albanks2542 Aug 3rd 2017 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12308440)
This whole concept of women marrying other women solely to keep them in the US is the craziest thing I've ever read! What kind of a twisted mind would come up with this stuff???? :eek:

I bet it has been done in new york in particular

albanks2542 Aug 3rd 2017 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12308440)

Not quite the same thing but close don't you think?

The sham marriage app helping China’s gay community fool society by matching grooms and brides | The Independent

Nutmegger Aug 3rd 2017 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308456)

No, it is not the same thing. Of course there is a history in less enlightened times of a man marrying a woman and vice versa in order to help to keep a same sex couple together, but you have been harping on about straight women marrying each other in order to keep one party in the US, which is a total product of your apparently warped mind.

albanks2542 Aug 3rd 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12308471)
No, it is not the same thing. Of course there is a history in less enlightened times of a man marrying a woman and vice versa in order to help to keep a same sex couple together, but you have been harping on about straight women marrying each other in order to keep one party in the US, which is a total product of your apparently warped mind.

My son met girls in new york over the years who were neurotic enough to do it he reckons.

Nutmegger Aug 3rd 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308475)
My son met girls in new york over the years who were neurotic enough to do it he reckons.

"He reckons"? No foundation in fact, then.

moneypenny20 Aug 3rd 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12308500)
"He reckons"? No foundation in fact, then.

He's presumably not cute enough for the girls either.;)

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308438)
Not wishing for my son to abuse the sacrament of marriage to live in another country and pretend to be gay in the process?

So you would be ok with your son pretending to be gay when he is really straight and entering into a sham marriage with a straight english guy in order to live in London? You could reconcile the abuse of holy matrimony with Christian/Catholic values. Not to mention the laughing stock your son and family would be if it ever came out what he had done and why he had done it.

It would depend on all the reasons why, and all the story behind it. And even if I did not agree with the motives he would still be my son and I would never turn against him, I would respect his decision.

Unless you walk in someone's shoes do not judge them, for you do not now their story.

durham_lad Aug 3rd 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by leepne (Post 12307779)
President Trump and two GOP senators are announcing a new plan to drastically cut legal immigration into the United States.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPoli...0618481636302/

Currently live, but will show full video when finished.

I can't it see it becoming law. He couldn't get even a very watered down repeal of the ACA passed because of opposition of a handful of Republican lawmakers. A great deal more of them oppose this as do a number of large companies with big budgets set aside for lobbying lawmakers.