Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Immigrant VISA Interview

The Immigrant VISA Interview

Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Immigrant VISA Interview

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Probably to get away from self-righteous American Expats.
That's not like you gruff....got hangover?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:22 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's not like you gruff....got hangover?
No hangover, just a chest infection.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

You mean from that nasty cold dirty British air?

So sorry to hear that - I hope you have someone looking after you.

Get well soon Sweetheart!!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it...you poor little dancing chicken you. Better get yourself to the docs...best to check it's not bird flu.

Hope you're feeling better soon. xoxox
Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:45 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The Immigrant VISA Interview

Pattiecake: Good luck with hubby's paperwork. It will be exciting for you to come back to your homeland after such a long time! I hope everything goes well for you, and keep us posted on how you get on. Most people on this site really like Americans and being in America, I know I do. So WELCOME BACK!!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by pattiecake
Well no different to here then. Although it seems to me that its alot easier for immigrants to come to England - legally AND illiegally!!!!!!!

There seems to be some bitter people on here. Why is that? The statistics show that there are more British people moving abroad then any other country. And I wonder why that is? Hmmmm .... now let me think why ............. too long a list to spell out.
OK. Show me where you get these "statistics" and then spell your list out of why you would prefer to live in the US to the UK....I have all day..I can wait.

The fact that I was refering to your husband having a harder time adjusting to miles of endless paperwork and having to jump through hoops here and NOT YOU seems to have gone right over your head. From all I've read of your posts it seems to me like it is YOU that wants to get out and he's is going along for the ride. When and if you do actually get here and if/when he does realise he made one helluva mistake....remember these words...I TOLD YOU SO.

I'll await your list.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
I could be wrong, but I was advised that if we moved to the UK my husband SHOULD NOT apply for UK Citizenship as the US would consider him to have abandoned his American citizenship, and he'd be up the creek if he wanted to return. I never really checked out what I was told.
Take a look at Rich Wales site:
http://www.richw.org/dualcit

Becoming a citizen of another country does not entail loss of US citizenship unless there is an "intent" to give it up. And the State Department does not assume such intent unless there is strong evidence to the contrary. As long as a dual US/other citizen always uses a US passport to enter and leave the United States, and complies with tax filing and Selective Service obligations, there is no problem holding a foreign citizenship and passport.

Same goes for you if you decide to become an American citizen. You will still be allowed to keep your British citizenship, as British citizens do not lose their status by naturalisation elsewhere. And the US does not insist you sign it away.

Moral of the story : don't always believe what you're "told"
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:02 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pattiecake
I know what it is like to live in the States. I am American and always will be.
You know what it was like to live there 30 years ago.
As for the 'I am always American' bit - let's see how other Americans treat you when they don't understand your 'foreign' accent and you have few shared experiences to share with them.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Oy, y'all. There have been many Brits who have gone back the last year or so who were moved here as kids, obviously against their wills, and who are loving it back there.

She probably feels the same way. Leave her be.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:23 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Oy, y'all. There have been many Brits who have gone back the last year or so who were moved here as kids, obviously against their wills, and who are loving it back there.

She probably feels the same way. Leave her be.
True - and she obviously hated the UK so much that she left as soon as she turned 18...........actually hold on - she's in her 40's
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:41 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sorry but you have been misinformed.
That's no sorry. That's great news! Thanks!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
OK. Show me where you get these "statistics" and then spell your list out of why you would prefer to live in the US to the UK....I have all day..I can wait.

And our Rushy is still waiting.....
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:23 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

How many of you still have your chest X-Ray ???
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by g1ant
How many of you still have your chest X-Ray ???
I do...and had another one last week
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:21 am
Just Joined

pattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brync
Hi There,

I went through the procedure late last year prior to moving over to Arkansas. The first point to make is take a book or something to occupy you!
When you get to the embassy, the place to start queing (it's outside so take an umbrella)) is clearly marked and shouldn't be a problem. You get a numbered ticket as you go inside the embassy into the waiting area. There are screens in the waiting area showing which number goes to which application booth. You present all your financial, supporting and imigration paperwork at the booth indicated on the screens when your number is shown. The questions they ask are pretty straitforward, such as how you plan to support yourselves etc. Nothing awkward or diffiicult and certainly nothing unexpected. With regard to your query about what paperwork to take, obviously the embassies main interest is that you can support yourselfves when you get to the States, at least for enough time for you to find work if thats what you're planning to do, so take copies of bank statements, pensions and any other proof of wealth that you have. You then take a seat again and wait (again). Your number gets called again and you are asked some more basic questions. You swear an oath and thats basically it. As you thought, you are given a sealed envelope with your immigration paperwork in it. This must omly be opened by immigration officials. You present the envelope at your port of entry when you come over to the States. At this point your passport is retained at the embassy and is delivered a few days later by courier (complete with your temporary immigration visa in it). Prior to leaving, you have to queue again in the waiting area to give the delivery address for your passport and to pay the courier. When I went, the whole process took about 3 and a half hours from start to finish. Your sicial security number and and immigrant resident visa card will be delivered by normal post to an address that you specify. The social securty number took about 3 weeks and my permenant residence card took about 6 - 8 weeks.

I hope this is of some help to you. If you do need anything else, give me a shout.....Good luck!

All the best

Brync

Thank you for your straight answer. I must say that everyone has been most helpul. I will certainly be sticking around for some chat with you all
Pattiecake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.