British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The Immigrant VISA Interview (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/immigrant-visa-interview-423550/)

pattiecake Feb 3rd 2007 9:53 pm

The Immigrant VISA Interview

Hi all you lovely peeps! Having read all your messages I know I have come to the right place to find out some informaton on my husbands immigrant visa application.

I am an American, currently living in Hampshire, England with my British husband. I have been over here for the past 30 years. We applied for the relative immigrant visa for my husband (Paul) and have completed all the necessary forms and he has now finally got his interview with the Amercan Embassy in London. Whoopee! :) So far it has taken 6 months to get to this stage, so we are now hoping this will be the last leg.

Can anyone explain to me what to expect at the interview? What questions will he get asked and what is the best documentation to take along for support? I am hoping to go with him but not sure if they will allow me to stay in the Embassy while he has his interview. I understand that it will take approximately 2 - 3 hours total!

Then at the end of the interview, will they tell him then that he has been accepted for a VISA? It doesnt actually state on any documentation that they tell you this at the time of the interview or if by letter. According to the information on the usembassy.gov site, "visa processing takes 3- 5 workdays" but when is that from. The next day? Next week? Month? Does anyone know? As ideally we are hoping to move out there as soon as possible.

We know that when we get out there, that on arrival at customs, my husband will be handed the forms required for a PRC (Green Card). How long does it take to receive this card and can he work before he receives it? Surely he will need a social security number before working? I know that I will need to apply in person as I do not hold one as I left America when I was 12yrs old.

Apologies if this is longwinded but we dont have long before his interview on the 1st March, so would appreciate any help we can get. Then we can get moving to Florida! Yippee!!

All this research is doing my head in!!! :confused:

Looking forward to your replies

Pattiecake x :thumbup:

P.S. Can we buy a car in Florida without an American drivers licence and insure it? Or do we have to take the test first?

elfman Feb 3rd 2007 11:27 pm

Re: The Immigrant VISA Interview

Originally Posted by pattiecake (Post 4359799)
Can anyone explain to me what to expect at the interview?

In my experience: a cursory leaf through all the forms and documents pertaining to the visa and a short discussion about how expensive theatre tickets are in New York.

Originally Posted by pattiecake
what is the best documentation to take along for support?

See above. Take pretty much every single document you have relating to the visa application.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 4th 2007 12:36 am

Interview - a lot of hanging around, take a book, newspapers, magazines.

Visa's, seem to currently come through in that timeline.

GC's, should be a week or so.

SSN may be a couple of weeks, you can go and get the number usually the next day, takes time for the card to come through.

You do not need a US DL to buy a car, might be handy to buy a drink.

Insurance, varies by State, but at least 10% cheaper with a US DL, quite possibly more.

Are you sure that you dod not have a SSN, the 3 year old does.

Noorah101 Feb 4th 2007 1:12 am

....that on arrival at customs, my husband will be handed the forms required for a PRC (Green Card).

When he arrives at the POE, he will be given an I-551 stamp which IS the green card. He won't be handed forms to complete in order to obtain the green card. His plastic card should come in the mail in a few weeks.

If he checked the box to get an automatic SS number, that should also arrive in the mail in a few weeks.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Ray Feb 4th 2007 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 4360185)
If he checked the box to get an automatic SS number, that should also arrive in the mail in a few weeks.
Best Wishes,
Rene

But don't bank on that ..go to a SS office to see if its in the system ...

BigDavyG Feb 4th 2007 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4360325)
But don't bank on that ..go to a SS office to see if its in the system ...

Agreed - in fact it seems that checking the box causes more hassle in the long run.

JAJ Feb 4th 2007 4:38 am

I am an American, currently living in Hampshire, England with my British husband. I have been over here for the past 30 years.

Have you also got British citizenship? If not, have you thought about naturalisation before you leave?

pattiecake Feb 4th 2007 6:25 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 4360029)
In my experience: a cursory leaf through all the forms and documents pertaining to the visa and a short discussion about how expensive theatre tickets are in New York.

See above. Take pretty much every single document you have relating to the visa application.

We have all the original forms ready to take with us PLUS support documents as requested. Just wonder if we should be taking anything else. Have you been on the interview Elfman?

They make it sound like my husband is going to be interrogated and try to catch him out with trick questions! Not that we have have anything to hide. We have a loving, happy and stable relationship but just do not want to live her in England.

pattiecake Feb 4th 2007 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4360136)
Interview - a lot of hanging around, take a book, newspapers, magazines.

Visa's, seem to currently come through in that timeline.

GC's, should be a week or so.

SSN may be a couple of weeks, you can go and get the number usually the next day, takes time for the card to come through.

You do not need a US DL to buy a car, might be handy to buy a drink.

Insurance, varies by State, but at least 10% cheaper with a US DL, quite possibly more.

Are you sure that you dod not have a SSN, the 3 year old does.

Hmmmm .... I dont know how my husband will cope! He is the most impatient person I know! :frown: Did you have to go through the same scenario?

Unfortunately no - I do not have a SSN. I spoke with my mother but as we left the states when I was 12yrs (33yrs ago) I dont think it was possible to get one then for me. I understand that the procedures have changed since then and you can get them automatically for the children when you register them.

pattiecake Feb 4th 2007 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 4360185)
When he arrives at the POE, he will be given an I-551 stamp which IS the green card. He won't be handed forms to complete in order to obtain the green card. His plastic card should come in the mail in a few weeks.

Best Wishes,
Rene

So is the I-551 stamped in the passport? Regarding the SSN this is on the last form that he has to take with him - DS-230 part II. He has ticked yes as hopefully this will go through quicker.

Thanks Rene.

pattiecake Feb 4th 2007 6:45 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4360495)
Agreed - in fact it seems that checking the box causes more hassle in the long run.

Why do you say that then? Have you had a bad experience with it?

pattiecake Feb 4th 2007 6:52 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4360520)
Have you also got British citizenship? If not, have you thought about naturalisation before you leave?

Yes I opted for dual nationality last year and now hold both American and British passports. I am glad I had it done although Im not sure if it will be frowned upon in the States. But when I travel to the States I will be using my American passport for sure.

I have two kids who are British and Im hoping that one day they may take the same route as us and emigrate to the States.

BigDavyG Feb 4th 2007 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by pattiecake (Post 4361997)
but just do not want to live her in England.

Oh dear - this will all end in tears :rolleyes:

BigDavyG Feb 4th 2007 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by pattiecake (Post 4362024)
Why do you say that then? Have you had a bad experience with it?

Yes - you cannot check the status of your application for ssn for 4 weeks and when you do you will most likely find that they never received the application in the first place and so you'll have to submit a fresh one at the ss office.

Jerseygirl Feb 4th 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4362710)
Oh dear - this will all end in tears :rolleyes:

Aye...I was wondering if she'll think the same way in a couple of years time.