Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Immigrant VISA Interview

The Immigrant VISA Interview

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

pattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nice
Question The Immigrant VISA Interview

Hi all you lovely peeps! Having read all your messages I know I have come to the right place to find out some informaton on my husbands immigrant visa application.

I am an American, currently living in Hampshire, England with my British husband. I have been over here for the past 30 years. We applied for the relative immigrant visa for my husband (Paul) and have completed all the necessary forms and he has now finally got his interview with the Amercan Embassy in London. Whoopee! So far it has taken 6 months to get to this stage, so we are now hoping this will be the last leg.

Can anyone explain to me what to expect at the interview? What questions will he get asked and what is the best documentation to take along for support? I am hoping to go with him but not sure if they will allow me to stay in the Embassy while he has his interview. I understand that it will take approximately 2 - 3 hours total!

Then at the end of the interview, will they tell him then that he has been accepted for a VISA? It doesnt actually state on any documentation that they tell you this at the time of the interview or if by letter. According to the information on the usembassy.gov site, "visa processing takes 3- 5 workdays" but when is that from. The next day? Next week? Month? Does anyone know? As ideally we are hoping to move out there as soon as possible.

We know that when we get out there, that on arrival at customs, my husband will be handed the forms required for a PRC (Green Card). How long does it take to receive this card and can he work before he receives it? Surely he will need a social security number before working? I know that I will need to apply in person as I do not hold one as I left America when I was 12yrs old.

Apologies if this is longwinded but we dont have long before his interview on the 1st March, so would appreciate any help we can get. Then we can get moving to Florida! Yippee!!

All this research is doing my head in!!!

Looking forward to your replies

Pattiecake x

P.S. Can we buy a car in Florida without an American drivers licence and insure it? Or do we have to take the test first?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:27 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Immigrant VISA Interview

Originally Posted by pattiecake
Can anyone explain to me what to expect at the interview?
In my experience: a cursory leaf through all the forms and documents pertaining to the visa and a short discussion about how expensive theatre tickets are in New York.

what is the best documentation to take along for support?
See above. Take pretty much every single document you have relating to the visa application.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 12:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interview - a lot of hanging around, take a book, newspapers, magazines.

Visa's, seem to currently come through in that timeline.

GC's, should be a week or so.

SSN may be a couple of weeks, you can go and get the number usually the next day, takes time for the card to come through.

You do not need a US DL to buy a car, might be handy to buy a drink.

Insurance, varies by State, but at least 10% cheaper with a US DL, quite possibly more.

Are you sure that you dod not have a SSN, the 3 year old does.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

....that on arrival at customs, my husband will be handed the forms required for a PRC (Green Card).
When he arrives at the POE, he will be given an I-551 stamp which IS the green card. He won't be handed forms to complete in order to obtain the green card. His plastic card should come in the mail in a few weeks.

If he checked the box to get an automatic SS number, that should also arrive in the mail in a few weeks.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If he checked the box to get an automatic SS number, that should also arrive in the mail in a few weeks.
Best Wishes,
Rene
But don't bank on that ..go to a SS office to see if its in the system ...
Old Feb 4th 2007, 4:05 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But don't bank on that ..go to a SS office to see if its in the system ...
Agreed - in fact it seems that checking the box causes more hassle in the long run.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 4:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am an American, currently living in Hampshire, England with my British husband. I have been over here for the past 30 years.
Have you also got British citizenship? If not, have you thought about naturalisation before you leave?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:25 am
Just Joined

pattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
In my experience: a cursory leaf through all the forms and documents pertaining to the visa and a short discussion about how expensive theatre tickets are in New York.

See above. Take pretty much every single document you have relating to the visa application.

We have all the original forms ready to take with us PLUS support documents as requested. Just wonder if we should be taking anything else. Have you been on the interview Elfman?

They make it sound like my husband is going to be interrogated and try to catch him out with trick questions! Not that we have have anything to hide. We have a loving, happy and stable relationship but just do not want to live her in England.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Interview - a lot of hanging around, take a book, newspapers, magazines.

Visa's, seem to currently come through in that timeline.

GC's, should be a week or so.

SSN may be a couple of weeks, you can go and get the number usually the next day, takes time for the card to come through.

You do not need a US DL to buy a car, might be handy to buy a drink.

Insurance, varies by State, but at least 10% cheaper with a US DL, quite possibly more.

Are you sure that you dod not have a SSN, the 3 year old does.
Hmmmm .... I dont know how my husband will cope! He is the most impatient person I know! Did you have to go through the same scenario?

Unfortunately no - I do not have a SSN. I spoke with my mother but as we left the states when I was 12yrs (33yrs ago) I dont think it was possible to get one then for me. I understand that the procedures have changed since then and you can get them automatically for the children when you register them.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When he arrives at the POE, he will be given an I-551 stamp which IS the green card. He won't be handed forms to complete in order to obtain the green card. His plastic card should come in the mail in a few weeks.

Best Wishes,
Rene
So is the I-551 stamped in the passport? Regarding the SSN this is on the last form that he has to take with him - DS-230 part II. He has ticked yes as hopefully this will go through quicker.

Thanks Rene.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Agreed - in fact it seems that checking the box causes more hassle in the long run.

Why do you say that then? Have you had a bad experience with it?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you also got British citizenship? If not, have you thought about naturalisation before you leave?
Yes I opted for dual nationality last year and now hold both American and British passports. I am glad I had it done although Im not sure if it will be frowned upon in the States. But when I travel to the States I will be using my American passport for sure.

I have two kids who are British and Im hoping that one day they may take the same route as us and emigrate to the States.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:33 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

but just do not want to live her in England.
Oh dear - this will all end in tears
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:35 pm
Thinking about it

Why do you say that then? Have you had a bad experience with it?
Yes - you cannot check the status of your application for ssn for 4 weeks and when you do you will most likely find that they never received the application in the first place and so you'll have to submit a fresh one at the ss office.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Oh dear - this will all end in tears
Aye...I was wondering if she'll think the same way in a couple of years time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.