Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Originally Posted by woodsey
omg.. :scared: I have a friend that teaches at a secondary school in Manchester, they have to let students of any age out of class to have cigarette breaks..
But I thought it was Law all be it not very well in forced one that you have to be 16. Even back in my day, thats 76, us 6th formers had our own common room where we were allowed to smoke.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:28 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

omg.. :scared: I have a friend that teaches at a secondary school in Manchester, they have to let students of any age out of class to have cigarette breaks..
Presumably it would be an "infringement of their human rights" not to let them out for a quick tab
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:38 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys some good views.
If we were heading for OZ it would be the Sydney outskirts or Melbourne area i should imagine.If it was USA ,it would be the North/South Carolina border area.Obviously both are very different and almost not comparable,but as i've never been to either(husband been to both on business and gold coast OZ on holiday)its difficult to picture how possibly living there would be!!!! :scared:
I know some of you mention that we could try USA and then go to OZ later on ...but i dont think it would be that easy for us as my husbands current profession is not on the skills list "thingy" (although we could work on that)and although we could get in on my profession i desperately dont want to have to do that .(Part of our reason for moving is to improve our sons prospects and my returning to work full time and employing childcare wouldnt be doing that!!)
As for family being far away,theres really only my parents and i'm hoping they can follow us.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Presumably it would be an "infringement of their human rights" not to let them out for a quick tab
unbelievably you're absolutely right..
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

hehe..that's pretty amusing

and the reason for MIL's school, well a lot of kids go hunting and would keep guns in lockers, there now allowed to keep them in their cars though.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M J
If we were heading for OZ it would be the Sydney outskirts or Melbourne area i should imagine.If it was USA ,it would be the North/South Carolina border area.Obviously both are very different and almost not comparable,but as i've never been to either(husband been to both on business and gold coast OZ on holiday)its difficult to picture how possibly living there would be!!!! :scared:
On the plus of being on an L1, means as spouse on an L2, you'll be allowed to work, don't know if the kids can, but anyway...errr....you should find out where abouts in the carolina's because if it is a dry town, you might not like it if you like a bit of booze.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:09 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that if the kid fancies a smoke during a timetabled class they have to let them out for a fag, even if they're under 16? I'm afraid I find that hard to believe.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
Are you saying that if the kid fancies a smoke during a timetabled class they have to let them out for a fag, even if they're under 16? I'm afraid I find that hard to believe.
Its true, the teacher is my best friend. The school is in Salford and the kids are aged 9 to 11 :scared: - the theory being they kick-off less if they can have a tab.. and I wonder why we left
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by M J
I know some of you mention that we could try USA and then go to OZ later on ...but i dont think it would be that easy for us as my husbands current profession is not on the skills list "thingy" (although we could work on that)and although we could get in on my profession i desperately dont want to have to do that .(Part of our reason for moving is to improve our sons prospects and my returning to work full time and employing childcare wouldnt be doing that!!)
As for family being far away,theres really only my parents and i'm hoping they can follow us.
As mentioned before I believe in any big corporation any move to Aus would be a major career limiter for your hubby due the size of the country. I also as IT person found it backwards when I worked there in many ways and that was Sydney.
You said the company was relocating you - if his skill was not needed in Aus I struggle to believe it would be needed in the US assuming you are coming on an L1.
and again I could not live that far away from the world
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Elf-ster
Are you advocating the denial of the youngsters human rights to leave class to have a smoke ??

How very un-pc of you.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Its true, the teacher is my best friend. The school is in Salford and the kids are aged 9 to 11 :scared: - the theory being they kick-off less if they can have a tab.. and I wonder why we left
Thats not the norm though, and way OTT for that age group anyway, but like what Bob just said about certain School's I think I would turn a blind eye to smoking rather than Gun's kept in Kids cars FFS :scared:
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:33 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
How sad, whats a glory killing, something to do with gangs?
From what I understand, a glory killing is a murder with no real motive other than to feel what it's like to kill someone.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:42 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

we're very lucky I think in California with the school system, I would not even entertain my daughter going back to a UK school now but on the gun thing, do you not remember Dunblane, fair enough it wasn't a kid but wasn't that the worst one of all the school shootings anywere in the world.
Yeah, I do remember Dunblane, I also remember it was because of Dunblane that handguns were banned in England, so the threat has pretty much gone in English schools because of it. It's a shame America didn't follow suit after their massacres, it would make living here a bit safer.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, I do remember Dunblane, I also remember it was because of Dunblane that handguns were banned in England, so the threat has pretty much gone in English schools because of it. It's a shame America didn't follow suit after their massacres, it would make living here a bit safer.
Do you assume that all handguns in the US are legal and there are no hand guns in the UK because they are illegal ? I think its a weak reason for distrusting the US and US schools, its sensationalism - you are more likely to get run-over by a drunk driver I'm sure
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:57 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I was educated in England it was also "great" but it was along time ago and things change and I'm not convinced that leaving at 16 makes it more condensed - we start younger
I'm 24, so I didn't leave school that long ago, I thought the way things were at my schools/college were great, I couldn't have improved on it. I like the way the school holidays are structured (I know some schools do the same schedule here), the school hours, the younger starting & graduating age, the way the classes are taught.

I went to school in Texas & seemed like a genius compared to the nonces in my classes!!! The only thing I learnt while there was a bit of American history, but that's it! I went as a freshman & got put in with all the seniors for maths & even then, I'd already done it all back home, so learnt nothing new. I left in the end, as it was a complete pointless exercise!

Obviously schools aren't all like that & it varies from one to another, but the statistics I've seen so far aren't very encouraging.

On another note, does anyone know why most exams here are multiple choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.