British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   If you had the choice: Australia or USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/if-you-had-choice-australia-usa-358101/)

M J Feb 28th 2006 10:34 am

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

I know some of you have lived in both countries or one or the other, so which would you choose if you had the choice and why?
(I've posted this on the Aussie forum to get both sides!!! ;) )
My husband will be moved to either country through work and obviously our 4 month old son and i will be tagging along.I would be really interested to here the highs and lows of your experiences in OZ or the US of A. :scared:
Many thanks

TruBrit Feb 28th 2006 11:39 am

Re: If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Originally Posted by M J
I know some of you have lived in both countries or one or the other, so which would you choose if you had the choice and why?
My husband will be moved to either country through work and obviously our 4 month old son and i will be tagging along.I would be really interested to here the highs and lows of your experiences in OZ or the US of A. :scared:
Many thanks

simple.....the aussie accent would drive me crazy plus aussie is just too far away from civilization :)

Englishmum Feb 28th 2006 12:39 pm

For money - USA

For quality of life - Australia.

You didn't say which part of the USA or Oz you may be relocated to - both countries are vast and Hawaii is as different to Alaska as Darwin is different to Hobart, Tasmania.....

From what I've observed over the years, many young professional Australians do like to live and work overseas for a few years purely to make some money as taxes are high in Australia. Without doubt, every single one of the expat Aussies I've met (including my best friend here in New Jersey) plan to 'go home' eventually.

My favourite city in the world is Sydney and when we lived in Singapore my husband often had to travel down to work in the company's Sydney office. We did talk about him getting a posting there but he just wasn't interested; one reason is that it is such a desirable place to live that he wouldn't get a very good package as the company can easily find staff to work or relocate there. His main reason is that it would have been quite limiting for his career - he is in senior IT management and it's not easy to progress in such a small Australian market.

Had to smile at TruBrit's impression of the Aussie accent...I actually like it and would far rather hear that than the dreadful New York/New Joisey accents which I hear daily here LOL! :D

So, OP - which cities are you likely to be relocated to?

TruBrit Feb 28th 2006 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
the dreadful New York/New Joisey accents which I hear daily here LOL! :D

?

guess that's one advantage to living in the south.

Jerseygirl Feb 28th 2006 12:56 pm

I agree with TruBrit, Austrailia is too far away from the other countries I would want to visit. From what I have read from other posters the hot/humid climate is a big problem too, although I suppose if you are in the south it is probably not too bad. Sydney is no doubt a great city but when you leave the city there is nothing but bush for miles and miles and miles.

My husband could have transferred to the Sydney office 5 yrs ago but we decided to stay in the US, simply because the lifestyle here suits us better than Oz.

Yorkieabroad Feb 28th 2006 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit

What, that lovely texan drawl you mean.... ;) :eek:

Jerseygirl Feb 28th 2006 12:58 pm

Not everyone that lives here has a Joisey accent you know. :D

TruBrit Feb 28th 2006 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
What, that lovely texan drawl you mean.... ;) :eek:

best out of the american accents i do believe :p

Celtic_Angel Feb 28th 2006 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by M J
Many thanks

I'd choose Europe :D

Seems to me if you want any real information/opinions you are going to have tells us which areas of either country you have in mind. Both Oz and the U.S are quite a bit larger than the U.K :p :D

Elvira Feb 28th 2006 1:27 pm

best out of the american accents i do believe :p

I have said this before and I'll say it again:

We need a puke smilie!!! :rolleyes:

When will the Mods listen to my pleas :confused:

Bob where are you? ;)

TruBrit Feb 28th 2006 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira

Bob where are you? ;)

for sure, i'll second that :)

Celtic_Angel Feb 28th 2006 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira

Bob where are you? ;)

a deep Texan drawl on a sexy man sure beats that nasal high pitched stuff you hear up North....I was only in JFK airport (it's where I very first set foot on U.S soil :p) the people there really DO sound like Fran Dresher even the men!!! :eek: :scared:

TouristTrap Feb 28th 2006 1:43 pm

lol!!

Gimme Matt McConaghey's drawl anyday....

I believe I'm getting the vapors...(lol!)

Sarah Feb 28th 2006 2:44 pm

Australia is like they've taken all the best bits from the UK and the best bits from America and made them into a really nice country.

Or is that Canada?

Anyway I'd go Australia.

USBound Feb 28th 2006 3:37 pm

I had the choice 2 years ago... LA won.