Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to move to Clearwater, Tampa or Orlando Florida. Help!

How can you retire there without a visa ? You have not thought this through.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think it would be more use if a Mod edited the thread title.
Well an Oxford comma would certainly make it clearer, because at the moment it look like Clearwater is in a state called Tampa.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:53 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mai838
Hello,

I'm looking in to properties in Florida. I'm scared and not sure if I'm making the right decision after reading mixed reviews. I visited Clearwater, Tampa and Orlando last year. I was only a tourist so didn't get to see much of the real life. I liked Clearwater beach but of course it's different as a tourist. I'm from London UK. Desperate to have my own place and want the sun beach for 3-6 months a year. I'm single. No family. It seems it cheap to buy in Florida compared to other places. I saw a 2 bed for $67,000, that's £45,000 in pounds sterling. It's in Pinella County. Never been there. Is it safe? Is it busy? Is it expensive? I've heard the insurance home or tax is expensive and do you "have to" buy home insurance? I never bought my own place and to buy for the first time in another country is scary but I want a new lifestyle. I don't want to pay maintenance monthly fees. Do you think I will regret and find myself in a mess in the future? Anyone done this before? Thank you. I'd appreciate any advice or warnings....
I live in pinellas county. Incidentally Clearwater is in pinellas, you have been here!
My house is worth approx $67k. It is 1100 sf 3 bed 1 bath. Lot is 150x50feet, no pool, located in a residential unincorporated area. It is adequate housing for myself. It is a 60 year old wood frame building. The neighbourhood is not dangerous, but not prosperous. Property tax is about $1000 a year, insurance just over $2k. Lawn (jungle) Needs to be mowed every 2 weeks, starting today, till thanksgiving.

A new house was built on my street an sold for $140k a year ago. It looks nice!
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Where's Denver on there ?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A looooong way from the coast, London to Gibraltar equivalent.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Pinellas County in the general St Pete/Clearwater/Tampa area. I have been here nearly 6 years after leaving the UK. I agree with the other posters. We own a house and maintenence is a LOT of work. We pray for no hurricanes. Our AC runs pretty much all year. Our lawns need cut every 2 weeks from now until nearly christmas. Our fencing and decking needs constant weatherproofing as the sun just kills the wood. We have monthly pest control. You have to wash your car at least monthly and get topcoat sealant in the wash or the paint on your car will start to strip off in the sun lol. IT's A LOT OF WORK phew! However, I do love this area. I wouldn't move back to the UK now. I have a British expat friend who is a realtor in this area that could better advise you. He sells to brit expats fairly regularly. I know you wouldn't technically be an expat if you were just coming on a visitors visa but if you want his info let me know. He might have more of an insight.

Last edited by indigogirl1976; Apr 1st 2016 at 5:15 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

GeorgesRemnant is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from Hull. I used to live in Tampa and I also lived in Orlando for a while. But I didn't really liked it there. I then moved to Fort Lauderdale and I've lived here for 10 years, although I'm soon gonna move to Pompano Beach area. I recommend you to explore the areas before making any decision ; look at the people, the shops, the quietness, the nature, the beach, ponder.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 2nd 2016 at 5:06 pm. Reason: Removed rules as it looked a little spammy
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Only one other person mentioned this, but please consider healthcare, especially if you plan to spend your golden years here when health issues are more likely to arise. You would not be eligible for medicare, and a private plan would be expensive. On top of high monthly premiums, you would still need to pay additional costs for physicians and medications.

Case in point: I have good health insurance, for which I pay $570 a month. I am still responsible for a co-pay of $125 every time I go to the doctor. Last year I went to the ER (A&E) for a kidney stone. I was there for maybe 3 hours. The total bill was over $9,000 - my share was $2,500. If you need an ambulance that will cost you at least $300.

If you are intent on a beach location in the southern hemisphere, consider where many Americans retire to in Central America, such as Costa Rica. It has an excellent healthcare system, and for much less than you would have to pay in the US.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 11:35 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgesRemnant
I'm from Hull. I used to live in Tampa and I also lived in Orlando for a while. But I didn't really liked it there. I then moved to Fort Lauderdale and I've lived here for 10 years, although I'm soon gonna move to Pompano Beach area. I recommend you to explore the areas before making any decision ; look at the people, the shops, the quietness, the nature, the beach, ponder.
Pretty much anywhere in Florida would be an upgrade on Hull though
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Pretty much anywhere would be an upgrade on Hull though
Edited
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Florida and I work in Hull. I'll take Hull any day of the week.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Folly to think of buying a place in a jurisdiction where you cannot get a long-term visa or residency.

Last edited by scot47; Apr 4th 2016 at 7:47 am.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Folly to think of buying a place in a jurisdiction where you cannot get a long-term visa or residency.
But this is Florida!