Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I cooked my first roast last night

I cooked my first roast last night

Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Chef Pimbot will work his way up to British culinary art forms such as beans on toast next week.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotch03
Cannae think of anything worse than a roast dinner or some "british" custard and pie rubbish. Actually I can - Patricks pants!

You'd eat Patrick's pants? The mind boggles!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:03 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT Re: I cooked my first roast last night

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
I think that describes it pretty well actually. I've never understood why anyone bothers with them.
ah'hem....are you saying swede is not worth bothering with???

it took me 3 bloody years to find the bloody things (found it in a world food market place, then the week after I stumbled across them at Tom thumb)....it was like a bloody mission before that though.

Yosser "excuse me, were are the swedes"

Tom Thumb employee.."whaaaaaa"

Yosser "Swedes dam it....light orangey colour veg made with roast dinners"

Tom Thumb employee."whaaaaaa"

Yosser.."its part of the turnip family"

Tom Thumb employee "Oh you mean squash"

Yosser AAAAAGGGRHHH (I go running through the store arms flaying around like demented chicken with its head cut off).

Tom thumb employee :scared:
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
Quick NC, tell us how it is spelt. I can surprise hubby when he gets home from work. Today I'll learn how to pronounce rutabaga, tomorrow I might read the Constitution!

(Anyone actually read it yet?)
If you mean the spelling, the correct version is in my second sentence you were responding to.

If it's the correct pronounciation you're after, it's "rootabayga"...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:05 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
If you mean the spelling, the correct version is in my second sentence you were responding to.

If it's the correct pronounciation you're after, it's "rootabayga"...

NC Penguin
Thanks NC, it's pronunciation I wanted.

Can start on the Constitution now! LOL
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:06 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by Yosser

it took me 3 bloody years to find the bloody things (found it in a world food market place, then the week after I stumbled across them at Tom thumb)....it was like a bloody mission before that though.

Yosser AAAAAGGGRHHH (I go running through the store arms flaying around like demented chicken with its head cut off).

Aha. I think I have a great business idea. British/American food dictionary.

Imgaine a ringbound pocket size book with names of British foods and the American name beside it BUT with a picture of the food.

However, most of you hav probably noticed how American fresh produce is supersized (full of water if you ask me). Think about the size difference of aubergine/eggplants. Ditto green peppers/bell peppers.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:25 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Aha. I think I have a great business idea. British/American food dictionary.

Imgaine a ringbound pocket size book with names of British foods and the American name beside it BUT with a picture of the food.

However, most of you hav probably noticed how American fresh produce is supersized (full of water if you ask me). Think about the size difference of aubergine/eggplants. Ditto green peppers/bell peppers.

NC Penguin
excellent idea, but I would also need a book for Thanks giving dinners with the pictures especially....cause I have no idea what I am eating
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser

Um, well, far be it from me to tread on toes, it's just that when there are roast potatoes, carrots, stuffing, etc., wading through something that would work well as wallpaper paste seems like a bit of a waste of time. There, now you'll hate me forever.

I sympathise with the trying to find stuff though. Our local Jewel supermarket has a section in the veg. section that it just calls "Mexican roots", which contains assorted root and other vegetables that are eaten south of the border, and for which nobody could be bothered to look up the proper names.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Chef Pimbot will work his way up to British culinary art forms such as beans on toast next week.

Hey, I know how to switch the oven on, but lets not get carried away.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Hey, I know how to switch the oven on, but lets not get carried away.
What worries me is the thought that Pimbot might actually claim to be a truly naked chef when cooking.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
What worries me is the thought that Pimbot might actually claim to be a truly naked chef when cooking.
No way. Fat spits!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:03 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Soooooooo is swede a squash?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:08 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

No silly. That is someone from Sweden
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:33 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by scotch03
No silly. That is someone from Sweden
He didn't cook one of those too did he?

I can remember that squishy, goopy, slimey, runny, sloppy stuff though! It never stayed under your mashed spuds without oozing back out.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Well done ! I managed something like a good ole English roast a while ago, sadly lamb is extortionate here so it was roast beef (never my forte) but it was passable, ohh and mother in law loved the real beef gravy ..... heh YaY for Bisto !!!

Hmmm the rudabega thing (or however its spelt) i still cant see why its coated in bloody wax here, last one i bought was no bigger than a softball and cost me over a dollar ... gawd at home the farmers used to feed them to the sheep as a cheap food source during the winter months !! (that was when they had sheep of course)

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.