British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I cooked my first roast last night (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-cooked-my-first-roast-last-night-188928/)

Pimpbot Nov 4th 2003 4:11 am

I cooked my first roast last night

Not bad for someone who 4 months ago ate everything out of a box or bag straight from the freezer. I am starting to get a little worried that I am getting to use to this "houseboy" role. :D

NC Penguin Nov 4th 2003 4:19 am

Re: I cooked my first roast last night

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Not bad for someone who 4 months ago ate everything out of a box or bag straight from the freezer. I am starting to get a little worried that I am getting to use to this "houseboy" role. :D
What was the meat?

I roasted a lamb on Sunday. It was delicious!!

NC Penguin

BrigieDarling Nov 4th 2003 4:19 am

;) Over to you lot......!

Well done PB, so did you have vegetables with it or not?

Pimpbot Nov 4th 2003 4:34 am

Originally posted by NC Penguin
What was the meat?

I roasted a lamb on Sunday. It was delicious!!

NC Penguin
It was chicken.

I dont eat veggies myself, other than potatos, but my wife had squash, at least thats I think how you spell it?

Yosser Nov 4th 2003 5:31 am

Well done old chap,

My yearly roasting dinner is coming around again (thanksgiving) its the only time I can be arsed to cook a proper roast it either that or a bunch of stringy green caserole and weird white fluffy stuff:confused:

This year I will prepare the roast at my house and take it too the in-laws, last year I tried to do it at the mother-in-laws and it didn't go down to well, you see housewifes have a thing about others in THEIR KITCHEN...

I shall be doing roast potatoes (not quite like mum's though) SWEDE also known as ratabaga or something like that, peas, carrots and maybe a bit of cabbage, I shall leave the turkey to the mother-in-law.

PrincessofWales Nov 4th 2003 5:39 am

I got all the major pots and pans out on Sunday and whipped up a toad in the hole and roast potatoes with Bisto gravy granules for the family on Sunday!

Can't beat that fat feeling on a Sunday night...all I needed was Songs of Praise, Last of the Summer Wine, Hartbeat (remember that with Nick Berry)....give the dinner a few hours to digest...then hit the kitchen again for apple pie or rhubarb crumble or some such stodgy British pudding....I wish!

It was roasting inside and out (84 degrees). I must try harder to stave off the winter nesting insincts in future....

scotch03 Nov 4th 2003 5:43 am

Cannae think of anything worse than a roast dinner or some "british" custard and pie rubbish. Actually I can - Patricks pants!

CaliforniaBride Nov 4th 2003 5:45 am

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
I got all the major pots and pans out on Sunday and whipped up a toad in the hole and roast potatoes with Bisto gravy granules for the family on Sunday!

Can't beat that fat feeling on a Sunday night...all I needed was Songs of Praise, Last of the Summer Wine, Hartbeat (remember that with Nick Berry)....give the dinner a few hours to digest...then hit the kitchen again for apple pie or rhubarb crumble or some such stodgy British pudding....I wish!

It was roasting inside and out (84 degrees). I must try harder to stave off the winter nesting insincts in future....

Bisto Gravy Granules!!!!! :PARTY:

Q: Why does BBCAmerica in no way resemble BBC? Or has the UK been taken over by Carol Smilie and Graham Norton?

scotch03 Nov 4th 2003 5:50 am

Because it isn't the BBC!!!!!

PrincessofWales Nov 4th 2003 5:58 am

Originally posted by scotch03
Cannae think of anything worse than a roast dinner or some "british" custard and pie rubbish. Actually I can - Patricks pants!
Actually it never struck a chord with me till I moved here and I started having all sorts of idyllic notions about life back home....it took a year to hit but it hit hard!

scotch03 Nov 4th 2003 6:09 am

LOL - then don't do it again!

NC Penguin Nov 4th 2003 6:22 am

OT Re: I cooked my first roast last night

Originally posted by Yosser
<<snip>>

I shall be doing roast potatoes (not quite like mum's though) SWEDE also known as ratabaga or something like that, peas, carrots and maybe a bit of cabbage, I shall leave the turkey to the mother-in-law.
Here's an example of me only having read about something American....

I knew that rutabaga (the Swedish word for Swede, the vegetable) was American for what Brits call swede.

However, I'd only ever read the word so I didn't know its pronounciation. When I first said it to my husband, I pronounced it as "rootabugger".

Husband (to be at the time), burst into uncontrollable laughter. Well, how was I to know how it was pronounced?

NC Penguin

CaliforniaBride Nov 4th 2003 6:46 am

Originally posted by scotch03
Because it isn't the BBC!!!!!
It was just a whinge really but thanks for pointing that out.

Lion in Winter Nov 4th 2003 6:48 am

Re: OT Re: I cooked my first roast last night

I knew that rutabaga (the Swedish word for Swede, the vegetable) was American for what Brits call swede.

However, I'd only ever read the word so I didn't know its pronounciation. When I first said it to my husband, I pronounced it as "rootabugger".

Husband (to be at the time), burst into uncontrollable laughter. Well, how was I to know how it was pronounced?

NC Penguin
I think that describes it pretty well actually. I've never understood why anyone bothers with them.

CaliforniaBride Nov 4th 2003 6:49 am

Re: OT Re: I cooked my first roast last night

NC Penguin

Quick NC, tell us how it is spelt. I can surprise hubby when he gets home from work. Today I'll learn how to pronounce rutabaga, tomorrow I might read the Constitution!

(Anyone actually read it yet?)