Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I cooked my first roast last night

I cooked my first roast last night

Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up I cooked my first roast last night

Not bad for someone who 4 months ago ate everything out of a box or bag straight from the freezer. I am starting to get a little worried that I am getting to use to this "houseboy" role.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:19 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I cooked my first roast last night

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Not bad for someone who 4 months ago ate everything out of a box or bag straight from the freezer. I am starting to get a little worried that I am getting to use to this "houseboy" role.
What was the meat?

I roasted a lamb on Sunday. It was delicious!!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:19 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Over to you lot......!

Well done PB, so did you have vegetables with it or not?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
What was the meat?

I roasted a lamb on Sunday. It was delicious!!

NC Penguin
It was chicken.

I dont eat veggies myself, other than potatos, but my wife had squash, at least thats I think how you spell it?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:31 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Well done old chap,

My yearly roasting dinner is coming around again (thanksgiving) its the only time I can be arsed to cook a proper roast it either that or a bunch of stringy green caserole and weird white fluffy stuff

This year I will prepare the roast at my house and take it too the in-laws, last year I tried to do it at the mother-in-laws and it didn't go down to well, you see housewifes have a thing about others in THEIR KITCHEN...

I shall be doing roast potatoes (not quite like mum's though) SWEDE also known as ratabaga or something like that, peas, carrots and maybe a bit of cabbage, I shall leave the turkey to the mother-in-law.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:39 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I got all the major pots and pans out on Sunday and whipped up a toad in the hole and roast potatoes with Bisto gravy granules for the family on Sunday!

Can't beat that fat feeling on a Sunday night...all I needed was Songs of Praise, Last of the Summer Wine, Hartbeat (remember that with Nick Berry)....give the dinner a few hours to digest...then hit the kitchen again for apple pie or rhubarb crumble or some such stodgy British pudding....I wish!

It was roasting inside and out (84 degrees). I must try harder to stave off the winter nesting insincts in future....
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:43 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Cannae think of anything worse than a roast dinner or some "british" custard and pie rubbish. Actually I can - Patricks pants!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:45 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
I got all the major pots and pans out on Sunday and whipped up a toad in the hole and roast potatoes with Bisto gravy granules for the family on Sunday!

Can't beat that fat feeling on a Sunday night...all I needed was Songs of Praise, Last of the Summer Wine, Hartbeat (remember that with Nick Berry)....give the dinner a few hours to digest...then hit the kitchen again for apple pie or rhubarb crumble or some such stodgy British pudding....I wish!

It was roasting inside and out (84 degrees). I must try harder to stave off the winter nesting insincts in future....

Bisto Gravy Granules!!!!! :PARTY:

Q: Why does BBCAmerica in no way resemble BBC? Or has the UK been taken over by Carol Smilie and Graham Norton?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:50 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Because it isn't the BBC!!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:58 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scotch03
Cannae think of anything worse than a roast dinner or some "british" custard and pie rubbish. Actually I can - Patricks pants!
Actually it never struck a chord with me till I moved here and I started having all sorts of idyllic notions about life back home....it took a year to hit but it hit hard!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:09 am
Up Yir Kilt

LOL - then don't do it again!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:22 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT Re: I cooked my first roast last night

Originally posted by Yosser
<<snip>>

I shall be doing roast potatoes (not quite like mum's though) SWEDE also known as ratabaga or something like that, peas, carrots and maybe a bit of cabbage, I shall leave the turkey to the mother-in-law.
Here's an example of me only having read about something American....

I knew that rutabaga (the Swedish word for Swede, the vegetable) was American for what Brits call swede.

However, I'd only ever read the word so I didn't know its pronounciation. When I first said it to my husband, I pronounced it as "rootabugger".

Husband (to be at the time), burst into uncontrollable laughter. Well, how was I to know how it was pronounced?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:46 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotch03
Because it isn't the BBC!!!!!
It was just a whinge really but thanks for pointing that out.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT Re: I cooked my first roast last night

I knew that rutabaga (the Swedish word for Swede, the vegetable) was American for what Brits call swede.

However, I'd only ever read the word so I didn't know its pronounciation. When I first said it to my husband, I pronounced it as "rootabugger".

Husband (to be at the time), burst into uncontrollable laughter. Well, how was I to know how it was pronounced?

NC Penguin
I think that describes it pretty well actually. I've never understood why anyone bothers with them.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:49 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Default Re: OT Re: I cooked my first roast last night

NC Penguin

Quick NC, tell us how it is spelt. I can surprise hubby when he gets home from work. Today I'll learn how to pronounce rutabaga, tomorrow I might read the Constitution!

(Anyone actually read it yet?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.