British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I am moving to the USA!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-am-moving-usa-483474/)

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 6:27 pm

I am moving to the USA!!!

I am in shock right now! After years and years of wanting to live in the US, my husband has been offered a job and we are off in the next few months. We have a lawyer that is handling it all for us from the US (linked to the company) and it is apparantly going to go smoothly. I hope so! :eek:

I just want to thank everyone for the advice I have had here. I don't post often but I do read lots which has been so helpful. We were planning on going to Canada (as it is easier to go there) but now this has come through, we are completely stoked.

We are going to be so busy these next few months but I don't care about that! LOL

Anyway! I just wanted to share my good news. :thumbsup:

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 6:30 pm

Re: I am moving to the USA!!!

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5353515)
I am in shock right now!

if you're in shock now, wait until you get here :lol:

btw good luck!

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 6:33 pm

LOL I love it there!! I have spent long periods there but have always wanted it to be permanent. It has been my dream but I really had given it up recently as I thought it was not going to happen. We had even applied for Canada and were waiting on that. This came out of the blue.

Thanks TrueBrit :)

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5353547)
LOL I love it there!! I have spent long periods there but have always wanted it to be permanent. It has been my dream but I really had given it up recently as I thought it was not going to happen. We had even applied for Canada and were waiting on that. This came out of the blue.

Congratulations...where in the US are you hoping to move to?

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5353547)

i'd spent long periods here before moving however it's definately not the same as visiting, nowhere is.

what part of the usa are you locating to?

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353556)
Congratulations...where in the US are you hoping to move to?

Thanks! We are going to Colorado. There is where we always wanted to go and so this really is a dream for us.

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5353565)
i'd spent long periods here before moving however it's definately not the same as visiting, nowhere is.

what part of the usa are you locating to?

Colorado. We have friends there too which makes it easier.

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5353581)
Colorado. We have friends there too which makes it easier.

well that sounds perfick!

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5353575)
Thanks! We are going to Colorado. There is where we always wanted to go and so this really is a dream for us.

Anabella lives out there. I'm sure having friends here will help you settle in easier.

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5353589)
well that sounds perfick!

Thanks!! I can't stop smiling! :D

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353605)
Anabella lives out there. I'm sure having friends here will help you settle in easier.

I reckon so too. We speak with our friends daily so we are very close to them. Thank you :)

another bloody yank Sep 25th 2007 6:46 pm

Hello, and congratulations! Colorado is very beautiful...

So what month do you think you'll be moving to Colorado? Maybe sometime this winter?:)

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5353632)
Hello, and congratulations! Colorado is very beautiful...

So what month do you think you'll be moving to Colorado? Maybe sometime this winter?:)

Thank you! Yes, it should be sometime in the winter. I am not sure at this point when we will find out for sure.

britvic Sep 25th 2007 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353605)

At least she'll get a good hair cut :) Welcome Newbie.

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5353674)
At least she'll get a good hair cut :) Welcome Newbie.

She's not a newbie...she's been a member longer than you or I. ;)

anotherlimey Sep 25th 2007 7:18 pm

Am I having Deja Vu? I thought we had a "Boulder" who moved to Colorado??? :blink:

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5353815)
Am I having Deja Vu? I thought we had a "Boulder" who moved to Colorado??? :blink:

funny you should say that coz i thought the same....thought it was just me getting confussed yet again :blink:

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5353815)

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5353825)
funny you should say that coz i thought the same....thought it was just me getting confussed yet again :blink:

Sure you're not thinking of this one?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=22431

Tarkak9 Sep 25th 2007 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5353575)

Congrats!! You'll love it here. a great climate and sunny days are awaiting you!
Ski season is just around the corner - a couple of the slopes are jumping the gun and plan to start their snow-guns this week end so they may be opening mid to late Oct!

britvic Sep 25th 2007 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353789)
She's not a newbie...she's been a member longer than you or I. ;)

Oh well I did not see that :o but she's new to me :)

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5353897)
Oh well I did not see that :o but she's new to me :)

It reminds me how US TV stations try to sell you repeat programs...If you've not seen it before...it's new to you. :lol:

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353870)

nope coz even the avatar is the same as i remember.

maybe as the OP has been around a long time on the forum i've just seen it about..:blink:

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5353909)
nope coz even the avatar is the same as i remember.

maybe as the OP has been around a long time on the forum i've just seen it about..:blink:

If you look back through her posts you'll see she's posted mainly in the Canadian forums and the Locker room in the past couple of months...apart from an odd one in the Lounge/Siesta. Has only made one post between then and 2005...only a handful in 2005 then we go back to 2004.

anotherlimey Sep 25th 2007 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5353870)

lol probably... must get some glasses.

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 8:33 pm

:rofl: No, that was not me. I have been in England the whole time. Not for much longer though :thumbsup:

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 5353871)
Congrats!! You'll love it here. a great climate and sunny days are awaiting you!
Ski season is just around the corner - a couple of the slopes are jumping the gun and plan to start their snow-guns this week end so they may be opening mid to late Oct!

Thanks so much. Wow! You are there now.. lol I cannot wait to be there. All that sunshine and skiing too!

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354196)
:rofl: No, that was not me. I have been in England the whole time. Not for much longer though :thumbsup:

you can have my green card anyday :sneaky:

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354263)
you can have my green card anyday :sneaky:

Oh dear! You don't sound very happy. Can you move? I have never been to Texas before.

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354281)
Oh dear! You don't sound very happy. Can you move? I have never been to Texas before.

oh i'm fine, no worries:)

i like texas and the usa, infact i love skiing in beaver creek, we've had some great hols there but that doesn't mean i want to live in any of those places, holidays are one thing and living another.

snowbunny Sep 25th 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354319)

No you ain't. ;)

Houston is not the best place to live.... Boulder would be better, but if someone's heart is "back home" then that is the place for them.

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354319)

i like texas and the usa, infact i love skiing in beaver creek, we've had some great hols there but that doesn't mean i want to live in any of those places, holidays are one thing and living another.

I am glad you are fine. Where would you like to live most?

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354329)
I am glad you are fine. Where would you like to live most?

home is england for me with lots of holidays to all the fine places. i've travelled the world and appreciate what the uk has to offer overall.

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5354327)
No you ain't. ;)

today is a better day :o

plus i'm going home soon for a month and then again for xmas :)

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354338)
home is england for me with lots of holidays to all the fine places. i've travelled the world and appreciate what the uk has to offer overall.

Oh I see!! I just read what SnowBunny said also. You really do have to follow your heart. England has not been home to me for a long time. Going to CO and being with our friends is like going home to us. Can you not leave and come back to England?

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354350)
Can you not leave and come back to England?

for sure, it's all in the plans ;)

have you ever lived away from the uk?

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354356)
for sure, it's all in the plans ;)

have you ever lived away from the uk?

Good for you!

Yes, I have lived in Italy for a while. The US , I have lived there 6months at a time ( a few times)

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354362)
Good for you!

Yes, I have lived in Italy for a while. The US , I have lived there 6months at a time ( a few times)

that's good, it won't be such an upheaval for you.

i love italy and the lakes and the amalphi coast, not to live but to vacation there is so nice...i miss not being close to europe, everything is so far away here, at least it's not dingo land... now that is defo too far away from civilization :eek:

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354377)
that's good, it won't be such an upheaval for you.

i love italy and the lakes and the amalphi coast, not to live but to vacation there is so nice...i miss not being close to europe, everything is so far away here, at least it's not dingo land... now that is defo too far away from civilization :eek:

I feel like it wont be too much of an upheaval. I think because not only have we done it to a smaller extent before but having friends there will help heaps. I can't imagine doing that alone!

Italy is nice although like you, would not want to live there. I wont miss Europe to be honest but the UK will always be special to me.

Tarkak9 Sep 25th 2007 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354218)
Thanks so much. Wow! You are there now.. lol I cannot wait to be there. All that sunshine and skiing too!

yeah its a tough life but someone has to live it; its a hard thing to wake up one winter's morning and contemplate which resort to go skiing for the day... decisions, decisions, decisions!

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 5354401)
yeah its a tough life but someone has to live it; its a hard thing to wake up one winter's morning and contemplate which resort to go skiing for the day... decisions, decisions, decisions!

LOL I bet!! When I was in CO, I would be happy all the time. It didn't matter how cold it was, the sun was out and the sky was blue. AND those rockies!!!