British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I am moving to the USA!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-am-moving-usa-483474/)

kingfisher241049 Sep 25th 2007 9:32 pm

Re: I am moving to the USA!!!

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5353515)
I am in shock right now! After years and years of wanting to live in the US, my husband has been offered a job and we are off in the next few months. We have a lawyer that is handling it all for us from the US (linked to the company) and it is apparantly going to go smoothly. I hope so! :eek:

I just want to thank everyone for the advice I have had here. I don't post often but I do read lots which has been so helpful. We were planning on going to Canada (as it is easier to go there) but now this has come through, we are completely stoked.

We are going to be so busy these next few months but I don't care about that! LOL

Anyway! I just wanted to share my good news. :thumbsup:

Congrats on your move to CO. When you get here I am sure it will be all shiny and new for you, but when the novelty wears off, you will see the real America, and it may shock you.

Do not get sick here, we have no NHS to help you, no unemployment pay, none of the things which the UK has to offer. Life here is good, but when things go wrong it can be very hard indeed. Colorado is a beautiful state, I am sure you will enjoy it.

When do you fly out?

:):)

anabella Sep 25th 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5353575)
Thanks! We are going to Colorado. There is where we always wanted to go and so this really is a dream for us.

Are you moving to Boulder? A nice place indeed, I was there last weekend :)

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5353815)
Am I having Deja Vu? I thought we had a "Boulder" who moved to Colorado??? :blink:

I think you are thinking of Boiler? He lives in Boulder too..

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 5354401)
yeah its a tough life but someone has to live it; its a hard thing to wake up one winter's morning and contemplate which resort to go skiing for the day... decisions, decisions, decisions!

Poor us :rolleyes:.. living in God's country..

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354411)
LOL I bet!! When I was in CO, I would be happy all the time. It didn't matter how cold it was, the sun was out and the sky was blue. AND those rockies!!!

:)

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 5354431)

excuse me while i throw up :eek: :lol:

Tarkak9 Sep 25th 2007 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354411)
LOL I bet!!... AND those rockies!!!

Make no mistake - they're rocky alright!

jumping doris Sep 25th 2007 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354448)
excuse me while i throw up :eek: :lol:

Perhaps she just meant Colorado because she can't have meant here:eek:

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 9:44 pm

Everyone knows that's Yorkshire. :p

snowbunny Sep 25th 2007 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049 (Post 5354428)
Do not get sick here, we have no NHS to help you, no unemployment pay, none of the things which the UK has to offer. Life here is good, but when things go wrong it can be very hard indeed.

Amen, just a relatively simple kidney stone op is going to set us back loads in costs and lost wages, with people fretting about me getting back to work ASAP so I don't lose my job -- and I've been out precisely one week. It's brutal.

anabella Sep 25th 2007 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5354457)
Perhaps she just meant Colorado because she can't have meant here:eek:

I did refer to CO, it's stunning everywhere you go in the mountains..

anabella Sep 25th 2007 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5354463)
Everyone knows that's Yorkshire. :p

I'll be in Sheffield soon, is that where you come from?

Jerseygirl Sep 25th 2007 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 5354480)
I'll be in Sheffield soon, is that where you come from?

Yes it is...what are you going there for?

kingfisher241049 Sep 25th 2007 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5354467)
Amen, just a relatively simple kidney stone op is going to set us back loads in costs and lost wages, with people fretting about me getting back to work ASAP so I don't lose my job -- and I've been out precisely one week. It's brutal.

Sorry to hear you have been sick, those kidney stones can be painful. Welcome to our nightmare, with all the medical costs and stuff. I sympathise and understand exactly what you are going through. When is the op?

anabella Sep 25th 2007 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5354485)
Yes it is...what are you going there for?

My best friend moved up there when I moved here.. I'm visiting her, her husband and their new baby :)

jumping doris Sep 25th 2007 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5354467)

There is a letter in our paper today, from a local Dr. He is writing about how Britain, Canada etc have much better health systems than here.
He writes about how saddened he is by people going bankrupt to pay for life saving treatment or leaving it too late because they were worried about costs.
Nothing new, I know.

jumping doris Sep 25th 2007 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 5354469)

We have friends in Greely. I have never been but the photos they send us are beautiful.

TruBrit Sep 25th 2007 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 5354469)

it is very pretty, been many times, nice to visit and ski but then that's it for me, back to civilization and life :)

kingfisher241049 Sep 25th 2007 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5354506)
it is very pretty, been many times, nice to visit and ski but then that's it for me, back to civilization and life :)

I visited Aspen around 12 years ago, and the mountains are spectacular. A friend and I visited during the summer, so I have no idea what winters there are like, but I can imagine!! :D Colorado is indeed a beautiful state.

anabella Sep 25th 2007 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049 (Post 5354544)
I visited Aspen around 12 years ago, and the mountains are spectacular. A friend and I visited during the summer, so I have no idea what winters there are like, but I can imagine!! :D Colorado is indeed a beautiful state.

It's beautiful all year round.. The winter is very cold but sunny almost every day.. I love having 4 well defined seasons, where I come from in Spain the weather was very similar to here, not quite so much snow in the winter, but 4 proper seasons and sunny almost every day.. I really missed the sun in England..

People live very active outdoor lives here, there is a lot to do in every season, I feel like I'm living a very healthy life..if that makes sense..

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049 (Post 5354428)
Congrats on your move to CO. When you get here I am sure it will be all shiny and new for you, but when the novelty wears off, you will see the real America, and it may shock you.

Do not get sick here, we have no NHS to help you, no unemployment pay, none of the things which the UK has to offer. Life here is good, but when things go wrong it can be very hard indeed. Colorado is a beautiful state, I am sure you will enjoy it.

When do you fly out?

:):)

I don't believe the novelty will ever wear off. When I see those rockies it makes me feel good no matter what I am doing. Our friends and their family have always lived there and they feel that way also. I guess we all find our place in this world. I will enjoy it, thank you.

I understand what you mean about the NHS but I have had some awful experiences. Fortunately, we are getting some great benefits from the company that my husband is joining.

We think we will be flying out in Dec/Jan. :)

kingfisher241049 Sep 25th 2007 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 5354578)
It's beautiful all year round.. The winter is very cold but sunny almost every day.. I love having 4 well defined seasons, where I come from in Spain the weather was very similar to here, not quite so much snow in the winter, but 4 proper seasons and sunny almost every day.. I really missed the sun in England..

People live very active outdoor lives here, there is a lot to do in every season, I feel like I'm living a very healthy life..if that makes sense..

Absolutely, living the outdoor life is very healthy. Lots of good fresh mountain air. Here in Florida we live the indoor life, its too bloody hot to be outside for long, and the sun is too strong too. Have they invented Factor 100 sunscreen yet lol.

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 10:40 pm

Are you moving to Boulder? A nice place indeed, I was there last weekend :)

Yes! Moving to Boulder :) Wow... That is so great that you have just been there. I miss the place every day.

britvic Sep 25th 2007 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354649)
Yes! Moving to Boulder :) Wow... That is so great that you have just been there. I miss the place every day.

And where are you now in the UK ?

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049 (Post 5354644)
Absolutely, living the outdoor life is very healthy. Lots of good fresh mountain air. Here in Florida we live the indoor life, its too bloody hot to be outside for long, and the sun is too strong too. Have they invented Factor 100 sunscreen yet lol.

I love FL but the humidity really gets to me. Cold and dry suits me much more.

Boulder Sep 25th 2007 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5354657)
And where are you now in the UK ?

I am in the South East of England. It is a good area but it is just not home.

anabella Sep 25th 2007 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354649)

I highly recommend a restaurant called Frasca, it's on Pearl and 17th..

Sally Sep 25th 2007 11:30 pm

I also thought there was someone called Boulder living in Boulder - :confused:

Good luck to this Boulder, it seemed like a lovely place when I visited.

simongb Sep 25th 2007 11:31 pm

Welcome to the USA! I am sure you have many questions. There are many US vets on here that can help. Good luck!

flipflop Sep 25th 2007 11:35 pm

boulder, good luck to you, you sound so full of enthusiasm. i think its great that your dream is coming true.;)

Boulder Sep 26th 2007 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 5354720)
I highly recommend a restaurant called Frasca, it's on Pearl and 17th..

Oh thank you! I have not seen that before. Maybe a good place to go and celebrate when we get there!

Boulder Sep 26th 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5354751)
I also thought there was someone called Boulder living in Boulder - :confused:

Good luck to this Boulder, it seemed like a lovely place when I visited.

Thank you so much! All your messages have been very kind.

Boulder Sep 26th 2007 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by simongb (Post 5354759)
Welcome to the USA! I am sure you have many questions. There are many US vets on here that can help. Good luck!

Thanks, I appreciate that very much. I still can't believe this is happening.

Boulder Sep 26th 2007 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by flipflop (Post 5354766)
boulder, good luck to you, you sound so full of enthusiasm. i think its great that your dream is coming true.;)

Thanks! I am so happy that is for sure. I feel just so blessed that this happened for us.

Boulder Sep 26th 2007 2:42 pm

Thank you so much everyone for all your well wishes. I truly appreciate it.

simongb Sep 26th 2007 9:03 pm

Keep in touch with us and let us know of your progress.

Boulder Sep 27th 2007 3:27 pm

I will do that for sure. Thank you! :)

kingfisher241049 Sep 27th 2007 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354641)
I don't believe the novelty will ever wear off. When I see those rockies it makes me feel good no matter what I am doing. Our friends and their family have always lived there and they feel that way also. I guess we all find our place in this world. I will enjoy it, thank you.

I understand what you mean about the NHS but I have had some awful experiences. Fortunately, we are getting some great benefits from the company that my husband is joining.

We think we will be flying out in Dec/Jan. :)

Glad your hubby is getting some good benefits from his employer, but unless those benefits pay 100% of his medical bills (good luck), he will be dealing with co-pays, and other stuff. Its a minefield out there as you will unfortunately learn. :unsure::blink:

Kaffy Mintcake Sep 29th 2007 1:09 am

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049 (Post 5360938)
Glad your hubby is getting some good benefits from his employer, but unless those benefits pay 100% of his medical bills (good luck), he will be dealing with co-pays, and other stuff. Its a minefield out there as you will unfortunately learn. :unsure::blink:

Well - with good insurance co-pays usually aren't outrageous. She should be okay. And if concerned there are options to take out supplemental insurance.

Also - if you've worked before and are laid off, unemployment pay is typically available.

You can do it Boulder - glad you're so excited. :)

welshy45 Sep 29th 2007 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boulder (Post 5354196)
:rofl: No, that was not me. I have been in England the whole time. Not for much longer though :thumbsup:

I've been reading back on some of this thread and I wish you well Boulder. I have just arrived back from the UK and now I'm missing home so much. Different strokes for different folks as they say. It's been 17 years since I left the UK. Everything keeps moving on and friends move away as we get older by the day. I just felt like I fitted back in there like I never left. Living there could be some hard adjustments. The reality sets in... Have I changed? Will I manage the financial side to start a new life back in my homeland? (I'm not rich) but comfortable.

I wish you well and much happiness in your new country. I just got a taste of how beautiful my old country actually is.

anabella Oct 1st 2007 4:31 pm

I'm in Boulder again and I remembered you.. I thought I'd let you know to make you jealous ;)..

Boulder Oct 11th 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5366596)
Well - with good insurance co-pays usually aren't outrageous. She should be okay. And if concerned there are options to take out supplemental insurance.

Also - if you've worked before and are laid off, unemployment pay is typically available.

You can do it Boulder - glad you're so excited. :)

Thanks so much :) :)

Boulder Oct 11th 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 5374396)
I'm in Boulder again and I remembered you.. I thought I'd let you know to make you jealous ;)..

Now that is just plain cruel!! LOL