Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hurricaine Rita

Wikiposts

Hurricaine Rita

Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricaine Rita

Originally Posted by Webbie
What is it with these women ?
First Katrina wipes out New Orleans and then her sister Rita heads for Galveston - and Houston, where some of the NO evacuated went - is in the pathway.

All hurricanes used to be named after women until sometime in the late 70s.... now it's boy-girl-boy-girl etc. Andrew was a pretty mean storm.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KarnalEcho
Aside of that I hope it keeps on going long enough to wipe out my X

Man, S., if it did that it'd scour Houston off the face of the earth first!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:37 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Man, S., if it did that it'd scour Houston off the face of the earth first!
Nah he's quite a way from that. He's just above Dallas.

Course you should hold on to your tail feathers too. Any anyone that's NOT my X how bout that?
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:40 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Sugarmooma and Celtic Angel - your Mayor has ordered everyone to get your asses out of there:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4261166.stm
Houston Mayor Bill White has called for residents to leave low-lying areas of the city as Hurricane Rita approaches.

Mr White warned that there are not enough government vehicles to evacuate everyone in the affected areas and urged friends and neighbours to help..
Best of British to you...
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:43 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Webbie
"(Houston Mayor) Mr White warned that there are not enough government vehicles to evacuate everyone in the affected areas and urged friends and neighbours to help.
Right -- this is the usual scenario. That's why NOLA wasn't completely evacuated before Katrina -- it's not like they send in cargo planes to carry people out! It's every man and woman for themselves regarding how to get out of town and where to stay.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:08 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks !! ive jumped into this thread from the Australian forum, and i just wanted to say to all of you in the hurricane areas.. good luck, and i hope its not going to be as bad as they are predicting, and that you all are safe and well.
I'll be thinking of all of you .
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:22 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, Category 5. I need Ice Cream to.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:23 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by rincewind
No, you need gasoline. All of the stations around here are running out and there are huge lines to get gas. Part of this is because we do live much closer to the area where Rita is supposed to hit, but part is because the coast between Houston and Corpus Christi has 25% of the US oil refining capacity.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:58 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No, you need gasoline. All of the stations around here are running out and there are huge lines to get gas. Part of this is because we do live much closer to the area where Rita is supposed to hit, but part is because the coast between Houston and Corpus Christi has 25% of the US oil refining capacity.
running out of gas ? are you serious? eeek this is a nightmare.....my MIL said i'm doing a chicken little *lol* but so is she!!!!!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 1:14 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
ah don't bother ..I've got plenty of Dreyers in the freezer...if the electric goes out I wouldn't want it to go to waste ....why don't you just drive down here to get it...waste not want not............
Old Sep 21st 2005, 1:46 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I hope everyone stays safe.........take care......
Old Sep 21st 2005, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I hope everyone stays safe.........take care......

Sorry my name sake is causing so much anxiety and possible damage and destruction. Hope you guys all take the advice given seriously and head for safety. As my brand new son-in-law said this weekend, he might have lost his property investment and private home and all his possession in Long Beach, MS to Katrina but he has the most important thing in life, his life and the woman he loves and the baby on the way.

Rete (nickname for Rita)
Old Sep 21st 2005, 2:27 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Hurricaine Rita

I've just remembered....Yorkieabroad lives in Houston doesn't he?

I know he was having a new house built there.....but don't know if he (and his wife and little children) are still in the UK or not whilst the construction is taking place?

I hope they're ok....
Old Sep 21st 2005, 2:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry my name sake is causing so much anxiety and possible damage and destruction. Hope you guys all take the advice given seriously and head for safety. As my brand new son-in-law said this weekend, he might have lost his property investment and private home and all his possession in Long Beach, MS to Katrina but he has the most important thing in life, his life and the woman he loves and the baby on the way.

Rete (nickname for Rita)
Hurricane Rete? Maybe next year.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:06 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just remembered....Yorkieabroad lives in Houston doesn't he?

I know he was having a new house built there.....but don't know if he (and his wife and little children) are still in the UK or not whilst the construction is taking place?

I hope they're ok....
The storm has not hit yet, though I wonder how a house under construction will fare. My brother's house here in Austin is under construction and I'll bet he's worried about it, even though we are much farther inland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.