Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how long to process renunciation

how long to process renunciation

Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:42 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: how long to process renunciation

Originally Posted by nun
There's no blanket ban on a dual citizen getting a TS clearance
Actually that must be also correct because I know of a small detachment of RAF pilots who fly the F-22 at Eglin AFB. When I worked for Lockheed I was not allowed to see certain details of that aircraft because I 'only' had a secret clearance, so I guess those pilots are TS cleared, and obviously they are Brits.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well kudos to the OP for searching out previous threads on the topic, even if there haven't been very many. Good luck.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:02 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Actually that must be also correct because I know of a small detachment of RAF pilots who fly the F-22 at Eglin AFB. When I worked for Lockheed I was not allowed to see certain details of that aircraft because I 'only' had a secret clearance, so I guess those pilots are TS cleared, and obviously they are Brits.
Yeah, you get some weird situations. I worked on JSF at Carswell for a while and the folks from British Aerospace were often asked to leave the room for certain parts of conversations....sometimes it was US security restrictions and sometime Lockheed didn't want to share with a competitor who they had to deal with because of UK involvement.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

kayinaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your help with this. Hopefully the confirmation will be come back quickly and there will be no hold up.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
But its reciprocal under the NATO treaty I think, I have relatives who were in that situation. They had the clearance in the UK so the US respected it as it was something they were both working on.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But its reciprocal under the NATO treaty I think, I have relatives who were in that situation. They had the clearance in the UK so the US respected it as it was something they were both working on.
I had UK security clearance and was automatically granted the same level US clearance, so the Embassy guys in London could talk to me. In fact for something I do here I still have US clearance (and my UK passport).
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Obviously for joint programs there is some reciprocity and there will be a bilateral agreement between the US and the UK to deal with security clearances. However, for US only projects having a foreign passport is a definite disadvantage and you will have to prove that you have no foreign preference to get one.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:26 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure if I was trying to get top secret clearance, I would not have my Mum asking on the internet how to do it.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH
Pretty sure if I was trying to get top secret clearance, I would not have my Mum asking on the internet how to do it.
Obviously you should have read the entire thread. I was not asking how to get my son a security clearance on the internet. For YOUR future information you cannot obtain a top secret clearance from the internet. They are issued by agencies after a thorough background investigation. It takes months to complete the required investigations.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

For the future information of anyone who is required to renounce their UK citizenship. We received the renunciation confirmation paperwork almost exactly one month after we submitted it to the UKBA. We sent several expedite letters/e-mails and made numerous phone calls to the UKBA trying to speed up this process. Finally, our efforts were rewarded and they completed the confirmation. I will say that the people manning the information desk were very helpful and sympathetic to our dilemma. Total time frame to complete this British renunciation was approximately 1 month.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just hope he gets the clearance now after all that pa-lava, especially if he's still got any Brit connections
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:33 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Just hope he gets the clearance now after all that pa-lava, especially if he's still got any Brit connections
British family members will probably not be an issue as renouncing UK citizenship shows a strong preference for the US over the UK. As each case is determined on its individual merits I bet the outcome will be positive.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - he should not have anything else that will hold him up but of course it's yet to be determined.
Old May 6th 2013, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

krisofly27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, may I know if your son was required to send in his passport along with the documents or just a photocopied copy as a proof of citizenship as they stated in the requirement. I have waited for almost two months but have yet to receive anything regarding the approval of my renunciation, it's starting to worry me as I need the approval urgently. I have only sent in photocopied proofs.
Old May 6th 2013, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

We sent in the original passport and we did receive it back in the mail. If you search around on the border agency web site there is a e-mail for information and I did find a phone number somewhere which we were able to call for status. When we phoned the people were very helpful and may be able to you if your package has been logged in. Waiting was very frustrating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.