Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how long to process renunciation

how long to process renunciation

Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

kayinaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long to process renunciation

My son has to renounce his UK citizenship for security reasons in the US Navy. He has only lived in the US and it is not an issue of whether he will do it or not - it's that the UKBA will only tell us it will take under 6 months to complete. They will process him out of the Navy as his job requires a clearance he cannot get with dual citizenship. Please! Please someone tell me how long it took to get their renunciation back! This is very important to him. Thank you so much for your answers!
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to process renunciation

I don't recall anyone on the US forums ever posting about the fact they had renounced their British citizenship.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for replying. I hope someone knows this how long this normally takes. It's very frustrating that he may be discharged while in boot camp if we can't get this processed fast enough. I hope someone out there has good news for me. Is there any other place you think I should post this question?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kayinaz
Thank you for replying. I hope someone knows this how long this normally takes. It's very frustrating that he may be discharged while in boot camp if we can't get this processed fast enough. I hope someone out there has good news for me. Is there any other place you think I should post this question?
This telephone number was posted last year on this forum for someone else also asking about renouncing due to military security.

Call the Liverpool helpline on +44 845 010 5200 for details of the estimated processing time.

The forms for this application go to:

UK Border Agency
Department 1
PO Box 306
Liverpool
L2 0QN

so if the telephone number is not correct you at least have an address, department to do some International Enquiries.

On another forum someone said that it takes 2 to three weeks from the time the department receives the application form plus all the documents required before they return a copy of said application form with all necessary stamps etc.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the reply. Hopefully he is able to send off the documents today from boot camp. Kind of tricky there and if it only takes 2 to 3 weeks that would be absolutely fantastic. It's very frustrating when you don't know what's going on and how long things will take. I hope I hear from someone else with a confirmation of that time frame. You really have been a help. Thanks!
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
This telephone number was posted last year on this forum for someone else also asking about renouncing due to military security.

Call the Liverpool helpline on +44 845 010 5200 for details of the estimated processing time.

The forms for this application go to:

UK Border Agency
Department 1
PO Box 306
Liverpool
L2 0QN

so if the telephone number is not correct you at least have an address, department to do some International Enquiries.

On another forum someone said that it takes 2 to three weeks from the time the department receives the application form plus all the documents required before they return a copy of said application form with all necessary stamps etc.
Thank you for the phone number. We have called that number and they would only give us the standard "95% of citizenship requests are completed within 6 months" reply. If it is going to require 6 months the Navy will likely discharge him, that is why I am trying to get real information from people who have completed this already.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Why would the Navy discharge him? Could they not post him elsewhere until he met the requirements for the job requiring the special clearance?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Why would the Navy discharge him? Could they not post him elsewhere until he met the requirements for the job requiring the special clearance?
Since he just joined we're hoping they place him in a hold status but they're saying if it's going to take to long they will not. Right now there is no funding for the military and they cut corners where ever they can. Sadly, that is the way it is in our military right now. That's why I'm trying to find out how long - the UKBA is saying less than 6 months and they will probably discharge him if it will take that long.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 10:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the citizenship requests they are referring to as being 6 months, are applications to be a UK citizen. They are processed in Liverpool. I would expect they get a lot less renounciations. When my friends in Zimbabwe renounced it was very quick, but that was about 10 years ago so not really much of a quide.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
I wonder if the citizenship requests they are referring to as being 6 months, are applications to be a UK citizen. They are processed in Liverpool. I would expect they get a lot less renounciations. When my friends in Zimbabwe renounced it was very quick, but that was about 10 years ago so not really much of a quide.
That's what I think also but there is no other information about time line concerning renunciations only. I'm hoping someone on here will have some better information.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I think also but there is no other information about time line concerning renunciations only. I'm hoping someone on here will have some better information.
Since there are so few renunciations in the system at any one time, that is unlikely.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

My son has to renounce his UK citizenship for security reasons in the US Navy. He has only lived in the US and it is not an issue of whether he will do it or not - it's that the UKBA will only tell us it will take under 6 months to complete. They will process him out of the Navy as his job requires a clearance he cannot get with dual citizenship. Please! Please someone tell me how long it took to get their renunciation back! This is very important to him. Thank you so much for your answers!
I'm surprised to hear this, my experience is that the US does not require anyone to renounce a dual citizenship to get a security clearance. The process is usually to give up the foreign passport and the assertion that you would be willing to give up the citizenship if asked is normally enough to show "no foreign preference". I would ask a few more questions before you take the step of formally renouncing UK citizenship as it is probably not required.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nun
I'm surprised to hear this, my experience is that the US does not require anyone to renounce a dual citizenship to get a security clearance. The process is usually to give up the foreign passport and the assertion that you would be willing to give up the citizenship if asked is normally enough to show "no foreign preference". I would ask a few more questions before you take the step of formally renouncing UK citizenship as it is probably not required.
It is a requirement for the level of clearance he requires.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 7:42 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nun
Nun is correct. I hold a secret security clearance and do a lot of military work. I had to relinquish my British passport, but of course that doesn't mean I am no-longer a British citizen, so when I retire and no-longer need my clearance I shall apply for a new passport. However, a Top Secret clearance would require all other citizenships to be renounced, I think, but those who need TS are very few.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

There's no blanket ban on a dual citizen getting a TS clearance, but each job and agency can make dual citizenship a disqualified if they want. It would be a brave soul who took them to court in a discrimination case.

Foreign Preference is a very fuzzy criterion. I was encouraged once to go for a clearance by a government lab, and they assured me that all I'd have to do would be to hand over my UK passport to security. I did some research and my frequent use of the UK passport, continuing UK national insurance contributions and desire to see England/GB beat the US whenever they met in a sporting event convinced me that I was not suited to the position however much the lab wanted me.

The OP should make sure they know exactly what the Navy is asking for, giving up the passport, signing a Navy document saying they give up Uk citizenship (this is meaningless as far as the UK is concerned) or an official document from the UK consulate.

Last edited by nun; Aug 25th 2012 at 8:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.