Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how long to process renunciation

how long to process renunciation

Old May 6th 2013, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

krisofly27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how long to process renunciation

I sent in an email before but I didn't get any reply. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thank you!
Old May 6th 2013, 9:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kayinaz
Obviously you should have read the entire thread. I was not asking how to get my son a security clearance on the internet. For YOUR future information you cannot obtain a top secret clearance from the internet. They are issued by agencies after a thorough background investigation. It takes months to complete the required investigations.
Not missing the point of the comment at all there were we
Old May 7th 2013, 11:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As a footnote, if you renounce your British citizenship, it is possible to reapply for it. Usually it is to cover situations where you wish to naturalise as a citizen of another country that does not allow dual citizenship. You can regain your British citizenship only once through this method however.

Might be worth considering once your son leaves the US military.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:42 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Nun is correct. I hold a secret security clearance and do a lot of military work. I had to relinquish my British passport, but of course that doesn't mean I am no-longer a British citizen, so when I retire and no-longer need my clearance I shall apply for a new passport. However, a Top Secret clearance would require all other citizenships to be renounced, I think, but those who need TS are very few.
Top Secret stuff requires renunciation, but lower down should not. I know that dual British-Australians must renounce British citizenship to serve in the Australian Federal Parliament, but I'm not that this has to happen vice versa.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:34 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Both of my brothers who are dual citizens in the USAF were given an extremely hard time about their dual citizenship. It tied up my one brother's flight line clearance for some time as he was questioned repeatedly regarding his family members political leanings towards the US, etc. My nan's response was "the bloody cheek as George W. Bush said there was no greater friend to the US than the British" - this was during GWB presidency. As it happened they did not require it but my brother's were made to feel as if they did. Fortunately my father was retired USAF and was able to help them sort it out and stick to their guns. I personally would be extremely hesitant to give up mine - but I do understand that the military is going to be extremely selective in who they keep enlisted due to budget cuts. Good luck to your son!
Old May 9th 2013, 7:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Top Secret stuff requires renunciation, but lower down should not. I know that dual British-Australians must renounce British citizenship to serve in the Australian Federal Parliament, but I'm not that this has to happen vice versa.
Any Commonwealth citizen can vote and stand as a Member of Parliament without even being British.
Old May 9th 2013, 8:41 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Any Commonwealth citizen can vote and stand as a Member of Parliament without even being British.
Patricia Hewitt is what made me think of this. I know she is Australian-British and was in Westminster, but Julia Gillard had to renounce her British citizenship before she entered the House of Representatives in the late 90s, which seems a bit harsh given Australians can serve in the British Cabinet.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:31 am
Just Joined

krisofly27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again, may I know which email address or phone number you directed your enquiries to? I am not getting any replies from those which I have emailed. And my calls are always directed to a dead end. I don't know what to do anymore):

Last edited by krisofly27; May 16th 2013 at 9:36 am.