Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
At least he didn't sing that Trololo song.
If he had he would have won some converts
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I was once told that I speak good English.....
I think some people say that as a joke though.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think some people say that as a joke though.
I honestly believe that this lady wasn't joking!
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not aware that I've been treated very differently because I'm a Brit. A little novelty perhaps but that's all.
Old May 5th 2014, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

It depends, in TX people just stare at me like I am speaking a language no one has every heard before.

In California, usually mixed from I like your accent, to I cannot understand your accent, can you speak a bit louder and finally they tend to laugh when I say things like "you taking the mickey" or "Aluminum" usually by my coleagues.

In Colorado, Oh you sound different. and sometimes the stares.

In Michigan, Usually more stares.

Overall, I have had more pleasant comments than negative ones.

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Living in New England I love the place as it reminds me of back home. The buildings, scenery and just about everything else. Even the people have been so friendly and generally love anything British (considering half of them have European ancestors...).

But I was talking to one American the other day and he asked me from where I was (because according to him my accent wasn't American) and when I said the UK, his comment was "Oh, I wouldn't want to live there! Good choice you made by coming here"! I didn't know what to make of his comment, but put me off slightly.

But like I said, this was just a one off, and most of the people are very friendly and love anything British, which is one of the reasons why I love New England, but I don't know about the rest of the US.

Which brings me back to the question- how have you been treated here as a Brit?
Old May 11th 2014, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Maddiex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
From what I have learnt is, the general Americans don't know much about other countries (or rather their geography knowledge is quite poor). Some of them know only as far as Canada and that's about it!
Yes is true, once a woman said to my husband oh are from England? so what do you speak ... do you speak English? imagine that .. wow .. this is Michigan....
Old May 11th 2014, 12:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddiex
Yes is true, once a woman said to my husband oh are from England? so what do you speak ... do you speak English? imagine that ......
Well it could have been Polish, or Romanian.
Old May 11th 2014, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've been treated any, or much, differently just because I'm British.
Old May 11th 2014, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hotscot
I don't think I've been treated any, or much, differently just because I'm British.
To be honest I've been treated extremely good by the high end of people... we planned in purchasing a mansion in an exclusive area .. a Mansion 2 million to be precise .. the locals were so nice are courteous and so pleased that we are from England ... I think some people might get jelouse mainly other emigrants ... we had the green card just after two years,, a great job amd prospects... I think the less educated the people the more ignorant the get well in this country money brings education... so we are ok all the door are open to us just by the fact that we are English which is nice... ( having said that I wouldnt mind going back to England )
Old May 11th 2014, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A black person once asked me about Thanksgiving in the UK, and when I explained we don't have it because we weren't the ones who left, said, "Yeah I didn't come over that way either."
I just have to say hahahahaha ..
Old May 11th 2014, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On saying I'm from England, I've been asked what language they speak there?
Yes i had the same experience ... to be clear people who tend to be ignorant about England tend to be the less educated well that is the case here were a live ... some people go around showing so much pride that they have visite England !! i also think Americans have an admiration for England however they do not want to admitted ... they left England or UK however they tried so hard to create a small England evrywhere .. i tink there is a jelousy .. I know I ... i kind of a hate love... due to admiration... when i speak they jow is almost on the ground such admiration they get confused ... i tend to play with theire confusion ... i a good feeling to know that deep inside they still admired us .. well i cant blame them
Old May 11th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
It depends, in TX people just stare at me like I am speaking a language no one has every heard before.
They do that to pretty much everyone who isn't from Texas ...
Old May 11th 2014, 9:20 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone else thinking it?
Old May 11th 2014, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Is anyone else thinking it?
Old May 11th 2014, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Yes i had the same experience ... to be clear people who tend to be ignorant about England tend to be the less educated well that is the case here were a live ... some people go around showing so much pride that they have visite England !! i also think Americans have an admiration for England however they do not want to admitted ... they left England or UK however they tried so hard to create a small England evrywhere .. i tink there is a jelousy .. I know I ... i kind of a hate love... due to admiration... when i speak they jow is almost on the ground such admiration they get confused ... i tend to play with theire confusion ... i a good feeling to know that deep inside they still admired us .. well i cant blame them
Judging by your writing I think you will find people in the US speak, and write, a very different kind of English than you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.