Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Question How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Living in New England I love the place as it reminds me of back home. The buildings, scenery and just about everything else. Even the people have been so friendly and generally love anything British (considering half of them have European ancestors...).

But I was talking to one American the other day and he asked me from where I was (because according to him my accent wasn't American) and when I said the UK, his comment was "Oh, I wouldn't want to live there! Good choice you made by coming here"! I didn't know what to make of his comment, but put me off slightly.

But like I said, this was just a one off, and most of the people are very friendly and love anything British, which is one of the reasons why I love New England, but I don't know about the rest of the US.

Which brings me back to the question- how have you been treated here as a Brit?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have you been treated here as a Brit?

You'll always get some that are like that I find.
But generally I get a good reception.
Partially as they don't realise how sarcastic I am. And partially because they're genuinely interested and nice folk.
That's been my findings across most of the MidWest so far.

I find with a Brit accent you can get away with far more than I thought possible. When you speak most people smile, very different to here in the UK
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
You'll always get some that are like that I find.
But generally I get a good reception.
Partially as they don't realise how sarcastic I am. And partially because they're genuinely interested and nice folk.
That's been my findings across most of the MidWest so far.

I find with a Brit accent you can get away with far more than I thought possible. When you speak most people smile, very different to here in the UK
Same here in the South (SE), and in the northern suburbs of New York City when I lived there, almost universally positive, except for one f***wit from Kentucky who thought it funny to recite a song for me about the revolutionary war!

The sarcasm thing is only a problem with Mrs P, who now assumes I'm being sarcastic all the time, and thinks I'm being critical when I make a compliment.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

In NYC Brits are two-a-penny and the accent rately rates a comment. Out in the 'burbs most people are pretty "meh" too but you do occasionally get a positive comment, but go up past the Bear Mountain Bridge everyonr's "oh my god I loooove your accent".

My wife hates it when that happens as she lived 10 years with me in the UK and all she ever got was "Oh, an /American/" type reactions.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
In NYC Brits are two-a-penny and the accent rately rates a comment. Out in the 'burbs most people are pretty "meh" too but you do occasionally get a positive comment, but go up past the Bear Mountain Bridge everyonr's "oh my god I loooove your accent".

My wife hates it when that happens as she lived 10 years with me in the UK and all she ever got was "Oh, an /American/" type reactions.
My wife is from a rural part of Virginia, and she got positive comments on her accent when we lived in London; Noo Yawk accents might be two-a-penny in London, but southern accents are much less common.

My wife's boss in London, who was an associate partner with a major firm of consultants, and was from Ohio himself, told me how many comments he got from colleagues and clients because of her accent. .... Including partners (i.e. colleagues senior to him) who wanted to know how he was able to hire an American secretary? They assumed he had been able to get a visa for her. .... She also confused some callers from the US who were calling London but thought the call had been misdirected to a US office!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

"Where you frowum?"

I looove your accent"

"You talk funny"

Etc., etc., etc.

Usually followed up with "How long have you been in the States?' and "Which is better, the UK or the USA?"

Sometimes I get "How did you get here?", to which the usual response is "Well, I got on a 'plane in London and landed in Atlanta..."
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
"Where you frowum?"

I looove your accent"

"You talk funny"

Etc., etc., etc.

Usually followed up with "How long have you been in the States?' and "Which is better, the UK or the USA?"

Sometimes I get "How did you get here?", to which the usual response is "Well, I got on a 'plane in London and landed in Atlanta..."
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My wife is from a rural part of Virginia, and she got positive comments on her accent when we lived in London; Noo Yawk accents might be two-a-penny in London, but southern accents are much less common.

My wife's boss in London, who was an associate partner with a major firm of consultants, and was from Ohio himself, told me how many comments he got from colleagues and clients because of her accent. .... Including partners (i.e. colleagues senior to him) who wanted to know how he was able to hire an American secretary? They assumed he had been able to get a visa for her. .... She also confused some callers from the US who were calling London but thought the call had been misdirected to a US office!
My wife is from Rhode Island and has a general NE accent with a tinge of Bawstahn. I think it didn't help that she worked in academia where anti-American snobbery is rife. And to be fair we lived in quite a working-class area (Gillingham in Kent) and most people there were more like "what's an American doing living in a dump like this?" (Answer: cheap houses!)
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The sarcasm thing is only a problem with Mrs P, who now assumes I'm being sarcastic all the time, and thinks I'm being critical when I make a compliment.

I'm laughing cos at least now I know it's not just me and the OH.

When she's been over to the UK she has got almost totally positive reactions from people. Although that could just be because it's a better option for them than talking to me.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Other than two redneck encounters in over 20 years, I have always found Americans to be very friendly and my nationality wasn't an issue.

I have met far more sarcastic, know-it-all Brits over the same period.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I already know lots of 'know-it-all' Americans, yet to meet one that's sarcastic though (in comparison to any Brit).
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

I tell them I drove across on the new transatlantic bridge.
You'd be surprised how many fall for it.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
I already know lots of 'know-it-all' Americans, yet to meet one that's sarcastic though (in comparison to any Brit).
Me neither
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Other than two redneck encounters in over 20 years, I have always found Americans to be very friendly and my nationality wasn't an issue.

I have met far more sarcastic, know-it-all Brits over the same period.
NO!!!!??????
You don't say
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:48 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Fremont, CA, where I live, is a high-tech melting pot. Most of the Americans here came from Asia, predominately India or China. When you see a white American, there's a good chance they're from Britain or Russia.

The great thing is, they/we all get along just wonderfully, even if my sarcasm flies over the heads of many around here :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.