Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Old May 11th 2014, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Maddiex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Originally Posted by mwdake
Judging by your writing I think you will find people in the US speak, and write, a very different kind of English than you.
YES they do ... I Speak French, German and spanish which makes me even more Unique !! sometimes i get confused !! Americans believe just because I m English I must be right hahaha... we are from Cambridge .. this Americans are so snobish ... we live in up market area simply because we have to money ... we are a easy going family not airs or graces.. is hilarious ... oh Americans are very bitchy they like to pick up on spelling mistakes which i tend to do quite a lot due to my dyslexia ... having a "good" accent pays off hehehe... if someone up set me all I have to do is speak bit lauder with a bit of a BBC accent ( just to make them feel insecure ) then I a sudden silence and what not body dares to argue !!! my husband tends to luagh LOL .. i do to...

Some states in USA are made this way ... other i suppose are not... on top of this I m tall blond slim so is my husband sometimes they think we are germans... lol. sorry about my dyslexia it takes a lot of effort to write this message
Old May 11th 2014, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry about your dyslexia issue, I did not mean to be insensitive.

The US is a very diverse place and for the most part it has nothing in common about people setting up little England's everywhere since the 17th and 18th centuries. The number of people of English ancestry in the USA is way behind the numbers of German, Mexican, African and even Irish ancestry; and on St. Patricks Day I think the number of Irish quadruples.
Old May 12th 2014, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddiex
then I a sudden silence and
an empty room?
Old May 12th 2014, 12:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... English ancestry in the USA is way behind the numbers of German, Mexican, African and even Irish ancestry; and on St. Patricks Day I think the number of Irish quadruples.
I suspect you are wrong, or at least not as right as you think you are because many of the early settlers were British, and their descendants increased in number over the generations, when families of eight or ten children, or more were commonplace. That combined with the significant intermarriage where many, perhaps most of people from New England across to the midwest and down to Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, have multiple nationalities in their ancestry: typically, English, Scottish, Irish, German, Scandinavian, and Polish, and a good bit of Italian too. For some reason English is the bit that gets left out of the "my family's ancestry is (English,) Irish, and Italian", or "my family's ancestry is (English,) Scottish, Polish, and German". Mrs P herself has Scottish, German, and native American ancestors, but in truth if you look at her family tree those are the bits of fruit in a cake that is plain vanilla English. .... Having English ancestors us just apparently not "interesting".

Last edited by Pulaski; May 12th 2014 at 1:01 am.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:01 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Living in New England I love the place as it reminds me of back home. The buildings, scenery and just about everything else. Even the people have been so friendly and generally love anything British (considering half of them have European ancestors...).
We must be living in a different New England. Nothing here reminds me of England. Parts of California? Yes. New England? No.

The people are, for the most part, arseholes who drive like *****. The whole 'loving everything British' part is true; I'm glad we don't feel the same way towards their country.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

I suspect you are wrong, or at least not as right as you think you are because many of the early settlers were British, and their descendants increased in number over the generations, when families of eight or ten children, or more were commonplace.
I might well be and every one can probably claim multiple ancestries but I am talking about what people answer during a census for First Ancestry. Check the Census Bureau figures...

http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/c2kbr-35.pdf

This is the 2000 data, the 2010 data puts English Ancestry even further down the list.
http://www.businessinsider.com/large...america-2013-8
Old May 12th 2014, 1:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I might well be and every one can probably claim multiple ancestries but I am talking about what people answer during a census for First Ancestry. Check the Census Bureau figures...

This is the 2000 data, the 2010 data puts English Ancestry even further down the list.
The number of people who reported English ancestry decreased by at least 20 million since the 1980 U.S. Census, partly because more citizens of English descent have started to list themselves as "American."
Backs up Pulaskis point. You cant even buy British things without it being from an "Irish" shop, half the time.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Backs up Pulaskis point. You cant even buy British things without it being from an "Irish" shop, half the time.
Yeah, I've noticed that. In fact, I bought my Union Jack at a local 'Irish' shop. The irony wasn't lost on me
Old May 12th 2014, 2:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If that's the best source of data for your assertion I am definitely calling BS on it. I can put down whatever the hell I like on the census form without repercussions. The idea that you only get to pick one is also nonsense when most people in the US have multiple nationalities represented in their family tree.

And anyhow it is a fairly well known issue that anyone descended from the black slave population in the US has a fairly good chance of having inherited a few genes from the plantation owner.

A study of genetic make-up would be more informative than merely what people put on the census form!
Old May 12th 2014, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

If that's the best source of data for your assertion I am definitely calling BS on it.
OK
Old May 13th 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

When I make the move I'm hoping I can use my accent to my advantage to make new friends, and of course, be more attractive to the ladies! fingers crossed
Old May 13th 2014, 4:53 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
When I make the move I'm hoping I can use my accent to my advantage to make new friends, and of course, be more attractive to the ladies! fingers crossed
American girls love the British accent. Honestly, you could bed women just based on your accent alone in some parts i've visited.
Old May 13th 2014, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
American girls love the British accent. Honestly, you could bed women just based on your accent alone in some parts i've visited.
This is what I'm hoping for I split up with a very attractive and intelligent girl because she didn't want to move with me, so I need to make up for it over there!
Old May 13th 2014, 5:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to feel nauseous . . .
Old May 13th 2014, 5:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
This is what I'm hoping for I split up with a very attractive and intelligent girl because she didn't want to move with me, so I need to make up for it over there!
lol. Oh dear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.