Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Horrible maternity leave

Horrible maternity leave

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrible maternity leave

Originally Posted by ironporer
Yeah, working for a power company that is guarenteed a profit no matter what they spend... on the backs of their poor customers who HAVE to use their monopolistic service is wonderful. I love paying $200/month for electric thatactually only costs them pennies.

As for the 'great companies with Unions', one only has to look at the Big 3 auto makers and their suppliers to see how well they are doing (GM/Ford on the verge of bancruptcy, Delphi, Visteon, Dana, Tower Automotive etc already in the crapper)... all union I believe, with utterly unbelivable wages and work rules- that in a large part have driven the formerly union jobs off shore.
It was more tongue in cheek!

I think the auto unions have made a big mistake.

Saying that, I know someone who works for the "Local" electrical union in NYC and they do well, because all public work has to be done by them.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:32 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
We sacrificed financially for a few years until my kids started elementary school so that my wife could stay home with them. So believe me when I say I do not think that it is unimportant for a Mother to spend all possible time with the children, quite the opposite..
Excellent approach.
You and your wife chose to take things into your own hands and put your children's welfare first, regardless of the sacrifices that had to be made and you didn't seem to expect anyone else to help you out.

That deserves a great deal of respect imo.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:43 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
So the reason we have kids is to look after old people - that's certainly a novel (and incredibly selfish) concept.

We went through this last night and you didn't even attempt to come up with one reason why encouraging people to breed is a good idea, apart from the welfare of the next generation of elderly. What about generations who will follow in 80, 90, 100, 200 years time ???

Overpopulation obviously isn't an issue to you then - space on the planet is as much a resource as fresh water, fossil fuels, etc and you clearly don't give a damn.
I suggest you go out and buy yourself a massive SUV whilst you're at it and be done with it.
Overpopulation is an entirely separate issue and only affects the Third World. Western nations don't even manage to replace the existing population.

Parents make a lot of sacrifices bringing up the next generation and deserve some help with this important task.

You clearly hate children, and this is clouding your judgement. Otherwise not even you could be so dumb as equate having children with buying gas-guzzling cars.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:47 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
You seem to think that women on maternity leave are simply cut off from their employers. In the UK, employers will usually make sure that these employees are kept in the loop about developments in the workplace.

Certainly when I was on maternity leave I was copied on all important memos and had regular telephone updates on what was happening in the company. I continued to read the trade journals.

Also, I would be invited to all company functions, including the mandatory Friday after-work drinks. But I forget, you don't have those in the US, do you...
Sounds like what we used to do in S.A. - though we had 3 months paid leave.

Australia also allows for 3 years unpaid maternity leave if I am not mistaken, and I don't see their economy suffering as a result. Businesses support their female workforce and take the maternity question into account.

Here, people are just numbers on a spreadsheet and companies just don't give an eff about their staff. They don't care whether you're a loyal employee or not, you'll get the pink slip regardless.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Really ???
Where have I said that ???

I suppose if you can't think of a sensible counter argument you'll just start making stuff up - you'll be calling me racist next....

If you are going to have kids you really should be prepared to pay for them yourself, and bring them up yourself as best you can. Having kids and expecting the government to pay or assist is hardly very sensible, is it ??
no more ridiculous than the modern perception that women can raise a family and have a full career

With your argument, a lot of ordinary people will never be able to have kids. I had to wait to 31 to have enough money to take some maternity leave, believe me it isn't easy for most men to magically earn enough to support a family.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Overpopulation is an entirely separate issue and only affects the Third World. Western nations don't even manage to replace the existing population.
We don't have to. Our underbreeding makes up for the more than 2 children per household rule for zero population growth practiced by those members of third world nations.

Parents make a lot of sacrifices bringing up the next generation and deserve some help with this important task.
Where has this help been for the thousands of years that parents have been bringing children into the world without government or big business assistance. Gosh, golly gee, will you explain to simply ole me how the hell our parents, grandparents, greatgrandparents, and so on managed to raise generations with the babying, eerrr nurturing of our big brother.

You clearly hate children, and this is clouding your judgement. Otherwise not even you could be so dumb as equate having children with buying gas-guzzling cars.
He doesn't hate children and nor do I. But today's parents and the parents of tomorrow are raising their children to believe it is their "right" to have a gas guzzler and to have every new eletronic gadget put on the market. Hell look at people in this forum and you will see threads on wii, ps3, 52" HDTV, etc. God forbid you didn't have the latest and greatest in your home.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
no more ridiculous than the modern perception that women can raise a family and have a full career

With your argument, a lot of ordinary people will never be able to have kids. I had to wait to 31 to have enough money to take some maternity leave, believe me it isn't easy for most men to magically earn enough to support a family.
Really????????? Hmmmm wonder how the older generation did it when it was the Cleaver generation?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:15 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

So the reason we have kids is to look after old people - that's certainly a novel (and incredibly selfish) concept.

We went through this last night and you didn't even attempt to come up with one reason why encouraging people to breed is a good idea, apart from the welfare of the next generation of elderly. What about generations who will follow in 80, 90, 100, 200 years time ???

Overpopulation obviously isn't an issue to you then - space on the planet is as much a resource as fresh water, fossil fuels, etc and you clearly don't give a damn.
I suggest you go out and buy yourself a massive SUV whilst you're at it and be done with it.
I don't think people want kids to look after old people but it is certainly a positive side-effect for the economy. You cannot ignore the fact that there is a problem with a big aging population in the west. If people don't have enough kids now to create a future workforce, the only other option is bringing more immigrants in and then you have to accept all the problems that come with that. Less young people in the workforce means less taxes and it becomes more of a burden for the government to look after the elderly. There has to be a balance which is clearly lacking in the West. Hence why countries like Japan are giving away freebies to pregnant women because they are panicking about the future.

In the third world, the opposite is true and I think there should be population control there, if anywhere. Easier said than done.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:15 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh Rete, I guess previous generations had fewer working mums.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:23 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should do a poll on how many people here had mothers and grandmothers who worked outside the home.

And perhaps someone can dig up some data on the proportions of fathers who earned enough to support basic survival of a 2 adults + 2 kids family from, say, 1900 onwards to the present day.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:24 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

With a lot less "stuff" in the home too........

Buying "on the knock" used to be looked down on ......... now its the norm.

It takes two incomes to get all that important cr@p you just can't live without.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:27 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by gardnma
With a lot less "stuff" in the home too........

Buying "on the knock" used to be looked down on ......... now its the norm.

It takes two incomes to get all that important cr@p you just can't live without.
Let's not forget it's not just about $$$. Some of us actually enjoy our work.

And it's not easy to reenter the workforce after a long absence.

Last edited by Elvira; Jan 23rd 2007 at 5:31 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:28 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Yeah, that forkeforce is terribly intimidating....
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:29 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously I clearly hate children

Do human beings not consume the earth's resources ???
If that's a yes you're mumbling to yourself then the comparison is a valid one.

I can't wait to see what hysterics you come up with next.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:32 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Yeah, that forkeforce is terribly intimidating....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.