Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Horrible maternity leave

Horrible maternity leave

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:36 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horrible maternity leave

Working up to the due date!!! You can hardly breathe and have to pee every few minutes!

Davy seems to be saying back to the kitchen for women...no surprises there.

All the best to the OP, a very special time.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:40 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
but it happens....the at will states and all that...
I know but even though its 'at will' employers still have to document everything to avoid punitive law suits.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:43 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally
Working up to the due date!!! You can hardly breathe and have to pee every few minutes!
Davy seems to be saying back to the kitchen for women...no surprises there.
and bloody right he is too. Until the bump is so big it stops you standing close enough to the sink to wash up you're still fit for active service.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:56 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I'm a realist - you are obviously not and without knowing more about your background I question your business knowledge and experience....
It's funny the way these message-board pissing matches go (and I'll admit, I started this one). You say something I find obnoxious. I respond, saying it's obnoxious. You respond saying that I can't possibly know what I'm talking about because I don't agree with you.

Let's look at it this way. A good company should exist for its employees, and not just its senior management and owners/shareholders. As such, a good company will take the financial hit caused by an employee using their full maternity rights. In fact, a really good employer will offer more than the basic rights to attract and keep great employees - paternity leave, for example.

In the long run, both sides win. Sure, you can found a super-profitable company based on minimal benefits, low pay and poor worker morale, and you could even make that money quicker than a start-up with excellent, expensive benefits, empowered employees and great staff morale. But that doesn't mean that all companies should be run by and for people who treat their workers badly, or see them only as a necessary expense to be minimized.

The world business, even in a 100% capitalist country like the US, does not revolve purely around maximizing profit and making the shareholders rich. There are plenty of examples in this country of highly successful companies that go to great lengths to make the lives of their employees better. You just happen not to work for one. It doesn't mean that yours is the only outlook on business, and for that I am thankful.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbj1000
There are plenty of examples in this country of highly successful companies that go to great lengths to make the lives of their employees betterl.
Plenty??? Plenty as in 5? 50? 500? 5000? How many of these wonderful companies are there in this land of 250 million people?....Roughly.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Plenty??? Plenty as in 5? 50? 500? 5000? How many of these wonderful companies are there in this land of 250 million people?....Roughly.
Anything with a Union... lol

You could try these for starters: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...007/full_list/

I think there's more than people realise; e.g. Florida Power and Light paid for my neighbour's education, now he makes $150,000 a year repairing electrical distribution equipment.

Note to self: Get job at FPL.

EDIT: <- man this smiley sucks, looks like Sylvester Stallone on the toilet.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Add up the US employees column and then give me the percentage that makes of the US workforce...be very lucky if thats even 1%.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
EDIT: <- man this smiley sucks, looks like Sylvester Stallone on the toilet.
Or Lionheart in his "cheesy balls" pic
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:50 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Or Lionheart in his "cheesy balls" pic
Man of 1000 faces............. all of them ugly
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:39 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's leave in the US was nice--they gave her 2.5 months paid for 'bed rest' (though she worked from bed on different projects). Then there was 4 months paid for the 'official leave' and then 1 extra month unpaid (but she was offered 3 unpaid total). Now that she is back they've offered her 2 days at home and 3 days in the office as a readjustment package for the next year.

It helps, of course, that her job is something that can be done 'remotely' from our home office.

My advice in your situation is take every possible second of the leave the jerks offered, and then take every second of sick leave, vacation pay, etc. When that is done, quit. Find a new job. F' them.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:19 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have numbers, and that's not the point. I'm sure the vast majority of companies don't treat their employees as well as they should/could. That doesn't make it right.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I am due in 7 weeks and had a meeting with my boss to discuss maternity leave. Told him I would be out on disabilty 4 weeks before birth and 6 weeks afterward (which is covered under the federal family leave law and by a note from my doctor). Then I would take another 12 weeks to care for newborn under the NJ family law thing. I know I am entitled to all this as I checked with HR first.

I got the most unexpected reaction. He gave me a lecture about how the dept has had 13 pregnancies in the past and no one has ever taken so much leave, how I have to get used to life in the US compared to the UK, how times have changed and women used to give up work in the past and now women work until due date and come back after 6 weeks. I was shocked. All this because I am asking for a pathetic 4 and half months of leave after the birth and most of it is unpaid! Even the first part is being paid by the state, not by my company! Told him that and he said it doesn't matter as they are losing money when I am not at work. He is now trying to bribe me by saying he will pay me full for 2 months as long as I work as close to due date as possible and phase back in part-time after 6-8 weeks!

Spoke to HR and they said I have the right to all of this leave but they still didn't seem that supportive and said I should reach a compromise with my boss!

Has anyone else had a tough time trying to get their legal maternity leave?

The US is so behind on rights in the workplace. It doesn't help that most americans don't even use all the time they are allowed to take under the law and when someone like me asks for it, I get bullied and made to feel like I am not doing my part for the company.

I thought I had it good with NJ's generous (compared to other states, not the rest of the world) family leave policy but what's the point if you have to fight to get it?
Yeah, I got crap from my boss for taking 1 weeks paternity leave. And I had to take it from my sick days. Compay policy is supposed to be 2 weeks paid and then up to 2 weeks sick, but afer 1 week I was getting 3 calls a day from my boss, and snide comments about other colleagues not taking so much time off. I though he was joking at first, but he was serious. It's enough to make you tell them where they can stick their job.... if only.

Good luck

- Tim
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:27 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by penguinsix
My advice in your situation is take every possible second of the leave the jerks offered, and then take every second of sick leave, vacation pay, etc. When that is done, quit. Find a new job. F' them.
That's all very well and good, but being reasonable and trying to work with the boss is more productive and a better bet in my opinion. How does it help if someone leaves the company having burnt their bridges, so to speak?

There are some very good places to work for in the U.S. I've worked in a variety of industries and without exception my boss(es) have worked with me regarding maternity leave. Having said that, in my opinion it is partly the employee's responsibility to make sure there is a smooth transition when possible. Discussing maternity leave as soon as possible helps -- even though you're not obliged to do this, in my experience, my bosses were much more receptive and appreciative of having advance warning.

Anyway, I wish the OP the very best -- and the above is not really addressed to her, but more a general comment in response to what others have said.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It is amusing the emphasise put on "good family values" over here, yet they don't seem to put into practice what they like to preach.

Speaking of, anyone heard about what's happening in California? Planning on out lawing spanking...anyone have any thoughts on that?
YES!...my eldest son was a real bugger from the time I got ill in nov.'87' until,in desperation, we sent him back to the UK to live with his father,he was 10 until 12yrs old.......he literally did everything he could possibly think of to cause trouble between my husband and myself and him......we did absolutely everything we could to cope,other than sending him back,because we knew that would be THE worse thing for him in the long run (and it was!)...he was even put in a childrens pyschiatric facility for a few weeks,for evaluation,even though we knew there was absolutely nothing wrong with him,mentally,....he was just determined to have his own way......anyway,while he was in the facility we used to go to the family consultation meetings,and even the pyschiatrist told us he was just an extremely determined child and suggested we should send him to live with his father,he also told us that California(where we were living at the time)had laws saying that you could not smack your children!,I turned round and told him that after three warnings and a spell in the corner,my kids would get a smack,no matter what the law said!....my mum used to slap the hell out of me ......with no warnings...and it never hurt me!.......as for my eldest son...he went back to live with his father when he was 12..........we told him exactly how things would be if he went back,but he wouldn't listen......and by the time he was 12,we were on the verge of divorce,and he was starting to teach my youngest son to be the same as him......things turned out exactly the way we told him they would..........he's 29 now...and has three 6 month prison terms behind him, he wishes he'd listened to us,as he can't come back into the US because of the prison terms.............the strange thing is........I've brought my youngest son up exactly the same way as the eldest....and he's a fantastic 20 yr.old,everybody really likes him(girls love him!!),we've never had a single problem with him,never been in trouble for any reason at all....hardly ever had to spank him his whole life,and only got to the corner once or twice!,how could two kids be SO completely different?!..........Sophia

p.s. Every best wish for your upcoming birth,hope you work things out with your maternity leave.....GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Last edited by Sophia_S; Jan 23rd 2007 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Yeah, I got crap from my boss for taking 1 weeks paternity leave. And I had to take it from my sick days. Compay policy is supposed to be 2 weeks paid and then up to 2 weeks sick, but afer 1 week I was getting 3 calls a day from my boss, and snide comments about other colleagues not taking so much time off. I though he was joking at first, but he was serious. It's enough to make you tell them where they can stick their job.... if only.

Good luck

- Tim
but on the other hand, your spouse and your baby were probably happy to have you around at that particular time in their lives.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I know but even though its 'at will' employers still have to document everything to avoid punitive law suits.
yeah, they just say that someone is no longer working there, no reason, therefore can't be done for discrimination which is very hard to prove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.