Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness increase around birthdays?

Homesickness increase around birthdays?

Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness increase around birthdays?

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
Hello All,

Sometimes I can sit down in the US and see the positives of being here. A reasonably stable job with decent salary, a good day to day living, etc.

But I really miss my Mum, Dad and my family, but especially my Mum and Dad. I know I sound all of four and you should really add 30 years onto that, but that's the way it is. Also my birthday is coming up in two weeks and though, I'll be spending it with my wonderful wife, but I'd love to be home. My Mum and Dad used to do this thing where my Mum would fuss over me all day and my father would pretend it was like every other day. My niece and nephew would come round and bring cards that they had made and bring a little cup cake with a candle in it. Of course, everyone will give me a call but it's not the same and to be honest, I'll feel worse for it.

Day to day I love being here, but sometimes there's just such an emptyness. It does get worse around birthdays, etc. Do you guys get that too?

I know if I was back in the UK, I wouldn't be living down the street from my parents and it would probably be more like a couple of hours away, but that's the thing, it would only be a couple of hourse away and I could see them whenever I wanted too. with that said, I've got no plans to go home yet. The work situation just doesn't allow it and the situation with the economy means that a move now would be a little bit foolish.

So I suppose it's back to stiff upper lip time.

I don't know why I'm posting this, just that I've written it out and it feels like I've told someone.

Hope all are doing well.
Yes...just had my birthday on Sunday and lots of cards and phone calls from home but as I get older I just want to be actually their (U.K) for mine and our families celebrations....we have missed so many weddings, engagements, births etc in our time here in Aus we just don't really want to miss out on anymore...I can understand how this would not bother some people and use to wake up wishing I could feel differently about things...but alas it has not.....we like our life in Aus..but the U.K is where we all want to live....and sometimes that makes it harder as it has not all been bad for us here in Aus....we have had good times.....it's just not home....
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Gettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to all

Perfect summary, I think.

It may have brought various good things to me, but the US just isn't home, and it never will be.

Our plans are excelerating at the mo, so maybe I'll be home beofer not too long, but guys, if its not home to you, make plans to up anchor. Life is too short to not be happy in your geographical and cultural surroundings.

Turn again Wittington...
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gettingtheflipout
Perfect summary, I think.

It may have brought various good things to me, but the US just isn't home, and it never will be.

Our plans are excelerating at the mo, so maybe I'll be home beofer not too long, but guys, if its not home to you, make plans to up anchor. Life is too short to not be happy in your geographical and cultural surroundings.

Turn again Wittington...
Yes I think your right....if it's not feeling like home after a while then it more than likely never will....good luck with everything....

sorry it my post should of read "there"........not "their", bad night sleep...well thats my excuse