Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness increase around birthdays?

Homesickness increase around birthdays?

Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homesickness increase around birthdays?

Hello All,

Sometimes I can sit down in the US and see the positives of being here. A reasonably stable job with decent salary, a good day to day living, etc.

But I really miss my Mum, Dad and my family, but especially my Mum and Dad. I know I sound all of four and you should really add 30 years onto that, but that's the way it is. Also my birthday is coming up in two weeks and though, I'll be spending it with my wonderful wife, but I'd love to be home. My Mum and Dad used to do this thing where my Mum would fuss over me all day and my father would pretend it was like every other day. My niece and nephew would come round and bring cards that they had made and bring a little cup cake with a candle in it. Of course, everyone will give me a call but it's not the same and to be honest, I'll feel worse for it.

Day to day I love being here, but sometimes there's just such an emptyness. It does get worse around birthdays, etc. Do you guys get that too?

I know if I was back in the UK, I wouldn't be living down the street from my parents and it would probably be more like a couple of hours away, but that's the thing, it would only be a couple of hourse away and I could see them whenever I wanted too. with that said, I've got no plans to go home yet. The work situation just doesn't allow it and the situation with the economy means that a move now would be a little bit foolish.

So I suppose it's back to stiff upper lip time.

I don't know why I'm posting this, just that I've written it out and it feels like I've told someone.

Hope all are doing well.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:59 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness increase around birthdays?

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
Hello All,

Sometimes I can sit down in the US and see the positives of being here. A reasonably stable job with decent salary, a good day to day living, etc.

But I really miss my Mum, Dad and my family, but especially my Mum and Dad. I know I sound all of four and you should really add 30 years onto that, but that's the way it is. Also my birthday is coming up in two weeks and though, I'll be spending it with my wonderful wife, but I'd love to be home. My Mum and Dad used to do this thing where my Mum would fuss over me all day and my father would pretend it was like every other day. My niece and nephew would come round and bring cards that they had made and bring a little cup cake with a candle in it. Of course, everyone will give me a call but it's not the same and to be honest, I'll feel worse for it.

Day to day I love being here, but sometimes there's just such an emptyness. It does get worse around birthdays, etc. Do you guys get that too?

I know if I was back in the UK, I wouldn't be living down the street from my parents and it would probably be more like a couple of hours away, but that's the thing, it would only be a couple of hourse away and I could see them whenever I wanted too. with that said, I've got no plans to go home yet. The work situation just doesn't allow it and the situation with the economy means that a move now would be a little bit foolish.

I don't know why I'm posting this, just that I've written it out and it feels like I've told someone.

Hope all are doing well.
Hi Dave

First of all, an early happy birthday .

Your post sounds like I could've written it!! Not ready to go home, pretty OK job, kids love it etc etc .......... BUT it was my birthday just over a week ago, I'm a little bit older than you (10yrs actually) & I felt SO lonely.............probably my fault as I didn't mention it to anyone here & would have loved to spend it with people that 'really' knew me

So yep, maybe it's therapy to write it down or just to know that other people feel the same ......... Maybe I should consider some Botox for my lip
Attached Thumbnails Homesickness increase around birthdays?-lips12.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all

Hello All,

Hope all are doing well.
Hi Dave:
Happy birthday when it comes around! Gosh, you sound like I feel, when it was my 50th birthday almost three years ago I practically spent all day in bed under the covers crying, mostly because that birthday was in such contrast to my 40th which I had spent in the UK and had had a great big party surrounded by all my family and friends etc....My 50th was such a let down, as you say everyone calls but you DO FEEL WORSE for it, I totally agree with you there. I think at times I am going mental, I am flip flopping all the time ie: 1. Canada is a clean beautiful place but I dont have many connections here. 2. England is calling me but after 13 years it has changed so much....would I settle? 3. Canada is nice and I love the open spaces but I dont feel that the job opportunities are here etc.etc.. it never ends and goes around my head all the time. I do hope you feel better and enjoy your birthday but sometimes there is no getting away from those feelings is there?
Its okay to let the that stiff upper lip quiver now and then ya know.
Cheers, Buggalugs
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Hi Dave

First of all, an early happy birthday .

Your post sounds like I could've written it!! Not ready to go home, pretty OK job, kids love it etc etc .......... BUT it was my birthday just over a week ago, I'm a little bit older than you (10yrs actually) & I felt SO lonely.............probably my fault as I didn't mention it to anyone here & would have loved to spend it with people that 'really' knew me

So yep, maybe it's therapy to write it down or just to know that other people feel the same ......... Maybe I should consider some Botox for my lip
Botox.......now that I can help you with! Ha Ha!
Buggalugs
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:21 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buggalugs
Botox.......now that I can help you with! Ha Ha!
Buggalugs
Ah, but will you make me look like this?!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Homesickness increase around birthdays?-botox.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Ah, but will you make me look like this?!!!!!
Not unless you REALLY want to!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't find birthdays too bad...Christmas was much worse.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

Hope all are doing well.
Firstly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!

You shouldn't have to sit down and work out the things about a place that make you happy in order to stay there. Those things should be automatic, you shouldn't need to look for them too hard. That sounds just like I used to be here, constantly looking for reasons to stay because my logical brain would want to take over, when in my heart I knew all of the time that I just needed to be 'home'.

As for being around your Mum and Dad when you're 34, "Bloody good on yer" I say! I only hope our son feels the same way when he's your age
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:20 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.....my Dad was 89 today......well yesterday because we're already into today. I'll start again....my Dad was 89 on June 4th, and I really wanted to be with him. However.....only 24 days to go...........
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Yep.....my Dad was 89 today......well yesterday because we're already into today. I'll start again....my Dad was 89 on June 4th, and I really wanted to be with him. However.....only 24 days to go...........
My Dad will be 70 tomorrow So glad this is the last time I'll miss his birthday
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I missed my fathers 60th birthday a few years back. It was the first time I heard my fathers voice 'quiver' on the phone. That was a bad day for me.

My wife and I just got our Green Cards here and I have to consider what the situation would be if we went back next year or hung out to get citizenship.

Of course I'll have to put a brave face on it and get on with it.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Birthdays, Easter, Christmas, New Year. I miss them all. Boxing Day which I know you will think funny but that was the day family would spend "doing the rounds". It doesnt get any easier either. I have been in the US for nearly 30 years and I still feel the same depression when something special comes up.

Worst thing that happened, was a few years ago when my Mum was failing in health and her mind was not always intouch. I called her to wish her a happy birthday and she was upset with me because I had not been to see her that day. She was annoyed with me and wanted to know why I could not pop round to see her. I still think about it. Every year one of my older brothers would call me without fail to wish me a happy birthday unfortunately he died last year so I never got to see him again or hear him wish me a happy birthday. Thats a big drawback when you get older losing your loved ones and not being their with them.

Didn't mean to make you feel worse on your birthday.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Hope all are doing well.
Yeah I feel like that most days Dave. Happy Birthday
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:56 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad I have seen this thread because there is something in my mind that I cant work out.

I have been in Perth for 3 months and compared to my old life where/how I lived it in England, I really like it here.

I can't imagine moving back, yes I get 'people sick' but I feel at home where I am in Fremantle.

Yet I am dreading my birthday in August. I don't know why as I have more or less always spent it on my own with husband working and we have rarely done anything exciting other than going out for a meal. I never ever spent it with family.

This year a few of us are planning a joint birthday bash with my work pals, I expect we will do a tour of some sort as well - swimming with dolphins is on the agenda.

Each morning I wake up happy and grateful that I am here.

Yet I feel nervous about having a birthday in Australia - work that one out if you can.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I find as I get older birthday's just mean less, anywhere. For example this year we were stuck inside because of a big snowstorm - just sums things up really.

What does hurt is my little boy's birthdays, they really hit home and also Christmas - as usual just the 3 of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.