Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:47 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
5 flights! Didi you know that before you packed all of her gear? If it were me, there would have been a pile of "you really don't need this" stuff at the bottom similar to the pioneers throwing out all their heavy furniture along the Oregon trail!

Did you meet her roomate(s)? I'm guessing she's in a dorm...

She had a lot less than most. I was amazed at just how much stuff some of them had.
She is rooming with her friend from high school so that's one less hurdle.
There were elevators but they took so long and there was always a long queue in front of us.

Lots of her stuff was packed in empty beer boxes and we got some very funny looks, particularly when we (jokingly) moaned about how much we had had to drink to get the boxes!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:57 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris

She had a lot less than most. I was amazed at just how much stuff some of them had.
There were elevators but they took so long and there was always a long queue in front of us.

Lots of her stuff was packed in empty beer boxes and we got some very funny looks, particularly when we (jokingly) moaned about how much we had had to drink to get the boxes!
It is amazing, I remember kids whose dorm rooms werre furnished better than most newlyweds apartments. I'm sure it's worse now with all of the electronic stuff. I had a boombox radio. No one had a TV and computers were rare. This was wayyy back in '91 so I'm sure it's all different now.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:00 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

It is amazing, I remember kids whose dorm rooms werre furnished better than most newlyweds apartments. I'm sure it's worse now with all of the electronic stuff. I had a boombox radio. No one had a TV and computers were rare. This was wayyy back in '91 so I'm sure it's all different now.
There was so much electrical stuff being taken up those stairs I expected PA to go dark when they switched it all on
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

There was so much electrical stuff being taken up those stairs I expected PA to go dark when they switched it all on
I never thought of it like that! All those kids at all those dorms with all that stuff all across the US, the power usage must be tremendous! No wonder tuition is so high, it's not the education, it's the electric bill!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:17 pm
Who?

I never thought of it like that! All those kids at all those dorms with all that stuff all across the US, the power usage must be tremendous! No wonder tuition is so high, it's not the education, it's the electric bill!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

My sons dorm last year was on 4th flr, HEL HELL HELL of a walk. Yes you have to be careful what you say, SAD. I keep telling my US friends "Silly Bitch" is a term of endearment in blighty. They don't get it, me finks time to give up.
Happy Uni Parenting.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I predate you by some length and my freshman year was spent listening to the Woodstock album blaring from multiple rooms at the same time-especially the "Fish Cheer."

We didn't have boomboxes and I think we had two tvs on the floor. It was a co-ed dorm-pretty racey for those days.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I predate you by some length and my freshman year was spent listening to the Woodstock album blaring from multiple rooms at the same time-especially the "Fish Cheer."

We didn't have boomboxes and I think we had two tvs on the floor. It was a co-ed dorm-pretty racey for those days.
Come on Cindy, you know your way to young.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't have boomboxes and I think we had two tvs on the floor. It was a co-ed dorm -pretty racey for those days.
wow, you had co-ed dorms back then in the usa or elsewhere?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Alas yes, I do date back to the Dark Ages-I was at UVM-University of Vermont in the Experimental Program-co-ed dorms and 2 hour seminars not classes in the basement of the dorm rather than a classroom. Either Pass or Fail, no inbetween. Radical.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alas yes, I do date back to the Dark Ages-I was at UVM-University of Vermont in the Experimental Program-co-ed dorms and 2 hour seminars not classes in the basement of the dorm rather than a classroom. Either Pass or Fail, no inbetween. Radical.
In the Experiment Program, hope it did not hurt or leave you physically scared.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough

Well I am sure I will get through this entire thread by about 10pm tonight but I just wanted to comment on the OP point.

I too get that homesick feeling, but a week home with my brothers/family soon puts that right I think last time I went home I ate fish and chips 4 times in a row, America just can't get that batter right!

I actually miss the grey skies and the feel of English rain, believe it or not, I really miss the morning bird chorus (Vs the grasshoppers and cicada one in NC!), and the freshness of the winter frosts on my face. All the silly things we take for granted I guess.

As for English taxes, I think America gets taxed through the arse on other things too. Plus they have to pay their own medical.

I have found, prices on other things even out. For instance, sure clothes may be cheaper here.
(Example, Sketchers shoes in England, around £40-£50 EACH, (About $80-$100), here, I can get 3 pairs for that! A girls dream lol)

But I find food shopping in America is very expensive. In England, I could feed my self for a month on about £50. That was proper food/meals, not pot noodles! :P . Here I can spend $100-$150 a week easy (for my husband and I), I find it's the fruit n veg that costs the most.

It's the same with my husbands wages. Here, it sounds like a hell of a lot, but if he did the same job in England, his English pay converted to American, would mean he would get a notable amount more working there.

As for "100,000 quid for a poky terraced in Lancashire, is quite ridiculous" OhMahGosh! That's cheap compared to the South!. In the area of Surrey I was living in, A studio flat alone costs around £147,000 with a 3 bedroom house reaching around £360,000 and they are semi detached.
My home town of Canterbury at the moment, which is 50 to 60 miles outside London, with in the city walls a 3 or 4 bedroom house is about £400,000 at the moment, but you can get a 1 or 2 bedroom house for less then £100,000 outside the city walls, just depends if you aren't picky about the kind of area you live.

As I said, all in all I think with everything it pretty much evens out. I do miss certain things about England but I prefer the "way of life" here. It certainly is a lot more relaxed and friendly.

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
I have been in USA for 3 years now, and enjoy living in the US very much.

It took me a while to adjust to the different work ethic situation and a more relaxing way of life as opposed to a constant "making ends meet" in England.

I can sympathise with people arriving and after a few years becoming unhappy with life here, BUT you have to work at it. I take a yearly holiday with my USA wife to England, visit parents and friends and enjoy it , but at the same time, I am glad to get back on a plane to Texas.

Its so depressing to wake up to grey skies, council tax bills and having to make a choice whether to eat or pay bills, as I used to do in Lancashire.

We live modestly in USA, car & truck 4 acres and detached house paid for, with nice sunshine and very few bills.

England has just become too expensive these days, which saddens me, as summer in England is indeed glorious and wonderful, with days out and watching football or cricket.

Housing costs alone have prompted me to pen this letter, as 100,000 quid for a poky terraced in Lancashire, is quite ridiculous.

If I won the lottery, I'd move to the south coast, but failing that, I'm happy as a sandboy in the USA.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Okuda
Well I am sure I will get through this entire thread by about 10pm tonight but I just wanted to comment on the OP point.

I too get that homesick feeling, but a week home with my brothers/family soon puts that right I think last time I went home I ate fish and chips 4 times in a row, America just can't get that batter right!

I actually miss the grey skies and the feel of English rain, believe it or not, I really miss the morning bird chorus (Vs the grasshoppers and cicada one in NC!), and the freshness of the winter frosts on my face. All the silly things we take for granted I guess.

As for English taxes, I think America gets taxed through the arse on other things too. Plus they have to pay their own medical.

I have found, prices on other things even out. For instance, sure clothes may be cheaper here.
(Example, Sketchers shoes in England, around £40-£50 EACH, (About $80-$100), here, I can get 3 pairs for that! A girls dream lol)

But I find food shopping in America is very expensive. In England, I could feed my self for a month on about £50. That was proper food/meals, not pot noodles! :P . Here I can spend $100-$150 a week easy (for my husband and I), I find it's the fruit n veg that costs the most.

It's the same with my husbands wages. Here, it sounds like a hell of a lot, but if he did the same job in England, his English pay converted to American, would mean he would get a notable amount more working there.

As for "100,000 quid for a poky terraced in Lancashire, is quite ridiculous" OhMahGosh! That's cheap compared to the South!. In the area of Surrey I was living in, A studio flat alone costs around £147,000 with a 3 bedroom house reaching around £360,000 and they are semi detached.
My home town of Canterbury at the moment, which is 50 to 60 miles outside London, with in the city walls a 3 or 4 bedroom house is about £400,000 at the moment, but you can get a 1 or 2 bedroom house for less then £100,000 outside the city walls, just depends if you aren't picky about the kind of area you live.

As I said, all in all I think with everything it pretty much evens out. I do miss certain things about England but I prefer the "way of life" here. It certainly is a lot more relaxed and friendly.
cicada, are they the most annoying, bugs ever. Plus we have hoards of Bull Frogs, its mating season, the noise is deafnindeafening. Frank R.